Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Leisure Time Larry
  • 1 Post By Tiny-Wheel-200
  • 1 Post By ZXtasy
  • 1 Post By JerseyJeeper

Thread: Replacement rear shock

Replacement rear shock

Today I broke the shock on my 1999. In looking at the various parts suppliers it looks like the original part number has been superceded with another. Would I be correct in assuming that shocks being sold now are of the improved style. Not the old poorly welded ones. It also looks like the same part number is used until 2014. Any thoughts?
    Me and my white mule

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Howdy friend,

To my knowledge there are 3 generations of the rear shock. Gen1 on the '87-'00 bikes, Gen2 on '01-'16 and Gen3 on '17 & up. All are crap. If you are considering spending the kind of money they want on a new one, go for a quality after-market one. It makes a tremendous difference, especially if you do the front end suspension work too. I purchased a Works Performance shock. Works Performance went out of business when the guy died. I think his daughter re-opened under the name Worx Shocks (Worx Shocks) There is also the YSS option talked about here: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...new-shock.html

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, then my advice is to purchase a used Gen2 from ebay for a reasonable price.

Good luck.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

I have an extra one id sell cheap

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
    Darth likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you go with a new or used OE one, consider a new/different spring.
    Lighter, stronger & correct for your weight.
    I have one & like it.
    Then come back and we'll help you spend some more money on a killer fork kit, also from ProCycle!

How did you bust your shock?
    I know full well how to bust my ass, but I've never been able to bust a shock!

http://https://procycle.us/bikepages...tml#suspension
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Hello friend. When I bought my battered 99 from a dealer they said it had a different than stock rear shock, the surmised it was from a Yamaha 4 wheeler, a banshee or the like. Many 4 wheeler buyers upgrade the shocks right out of the gate and the dealer throws them away. I love my upgrade, it is 2 inches taller which is good for me and seems to carry more weight and does not bottom our near as bad as my wife 2012 and it carries more weight with my bags and all. check with your local shops or Ebay.
    Darth likes this.

I did not know the works performance guy died. Nice guy.. He built mine custom for me. Awesome difference in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
    Howdy friend,

To my knowledge there are 3 generations of the rear shock. Gen1 on the '87-'00 bikes, Gen2 on '01-'16 and Gen3 on '17 & up. All are crap. If you are considering spending the kind of money they want on a new one, go for a quality after-market one. It makes a tremendous difference, especially if you do the front end suspension work too. I purchased a Works Performance shock. Works Performance went out of business when the guy died. I think his daughter re-opened under the name Worx Shocks (Worx Shocks) There is also the YSS option talked about here: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...new-shock.html

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, then my advice is to purchase a used Gen2 from ebay for a reasonable price.

Good luck.
    Xracer likes this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Sponosred Links