TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Austin TX TW Riders

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to DualSport riding, and actually just got back on a bike after an accident in 2017 (got hit by a car who failed to yield while riding my Suzuki SV650). So far I have had a blast tooling around on the TW and finding fun little construction sites, paths/etc. to play on.

Curious if there are other Austin riders on the forum, or even a TW riders group in town. I am interested in finding some folks to ride with, as I got in a little over my head the other day with a stream and some very thick/sticky mud—went down this hill through a small stream. On my way back I got lodged in the mud trying to make it back up the hill. Finally got out, but it would've been easy with a friend, hah!

Also, any recommendations on places to ride around town, as I have yet to go on official trails. I know there are trails at Emma Long Park, as well as the Adventure Park out towards Marble Falls. I hear there is a place outside/near Georgetown as well?

Well, hopefully there are some other Austinites around. Also any Texans in general, as I imagine I'll be making a trip out to Big Bend eventually.

Thanks.

See less See more
Reactions: Ken
#3 ·
I'm in Houston Texas. Not too far but I'm not familiar with any good riding areas around Austin. I was considering Big Bend with the Tdub group right at the end of April beginning of May but my wife just lost her job so plans are all on hold.

#4 ·
Thanks for the well wishes Miaugi.

Hey Ken, Sorry about your wife's job, that trip would've been fun. I think I'd rather do a Big Bend trip more in the winter time though ... where it's basically perfect weather. End of April could be pretty hot out there. If I plan a trip out there in the next year or so, I'll definitely post it on the forums.

#5 ·
I live in Austin. For a good group look up Austin Small Bore on facebook. There's Austin Dualsport Riders also, although they do maybe about 3 rides a year and spend more time stopping to instagram photos of their bikes than actually riding. ASB does usually 1-2 rides a week and tends to meet downtown or south Austin. Two Wheel Texans is also a good forum for locals.

Emma Long is very, very technical and not for the faint of heart. It's a few mile loop of pretty much exclusively stair-steps and ledges. For reference, a local trials riding club practices there. I've done it on my Beta enduro and it was tough. I'm sure you could get a TW around it if you tried, but the lack of ground clearance I suspect could make things even tougher. I haven't tried.

Hidden Falls adventure park is out toward Marble Falls. It's worth a visit, but they seem to focus more on the jeep/ATV crowd than motorcycles. Bikes can go on any trail, but all too often I'd come cruising around a corner and find a giant SxS going 3mph in the middle of the trail, or a stuck Jeep blocking the one line up the hill. They do have two loops of bike-only singletrack, which is fun but you can easily do both loops in an afternoon. I want to say the "north" loop is a little tricky in spots while the "south" loop is more open and generally pretty easy. I've been maybe 3 or 4 times and pretty much seen everything I want to. Even the hardest ATV trails won't pose much challenge to a bike. They offer cabins and camping options which sounds fun, but they rent a 1 room cabin at rates like it's the Ritz Carlton or something so I've never stayed.

Up north in Salado is Central Texas Off Road, more commonly seen as CTOR. This is some dude's ranch that had a lot of trails he would sell access to people that wanted to ride. You'll run into cattle and llamas roaming around while riding. Over the years trails became more defined/signed and now it's a well known option. This does allow ATVs but in the last year I bet I saw maybe two, as most of the trails are singletrack. Good variety of terrain. There are four main loops that are decently signed, most of which have several optional "hero sections" (marked with an X sign), and there's lots of other unmarked trails that split off all over the place. He sells day passes for $30 but I think limits you to only buying 3 or 4, if you want to continue you have to buy a yearly membership which is $250 last I heard, which is 24/7 unlimited access. I had a membership there for a year and enjoyed it a lot. There's faster, motocrossy loops with lots of whoops and jumps, there's tight and technical woods sections, there's hero sections to make you crap your pants. (if it says "experts only", they mean it). They do allow camping via tent or RV for an additional fee. Not sure if there's still a website, I got the owner's phone # off the TWT forum and you just call him up and ask to sign up. He'll mail you a waiver form and you can either send him a check or just give him cash when you get there.

Shoot me a PM, I can show you some of the trails I know locally (not a ton). I live south of downtown, near the mopac/290 interchange.

#6 ·
Hey RaZed1,

That's great information. I'll check out those groups (haha, to the instagram dual sport group ... too bad). Good to know about Emma Long ... I'll probably wait a while until I get more confident off-road/trail riding before I even consider attempting that :)

The other two places seem rad! I'm up North near 35/Dessau area, and work near the Arboretum. I responded to your PM prior to seeing this message, but I'm definitely game for checking out what you know locally. Chat later. Thanks again.

#9 ·
Hey @TW-Tex sorry I missed this!

I am still in Austin and still riding the Tdubs!! We should definitely do some riding, but I think Emma Long may be a little much for me and the Tdubs. I have hit Hidden Falls several times now, and that has been pretty rad.

I am going to be out of town for a few weeks, but will be back the second half of December. Stay in touch!

Hey @tylermoney - you still in austin and riding your Tdub? I'm getting mine soon and live in North austin. Would be down for a ride soon. Have you tried Emma Long yet - I'm 99% sure it's out of my league so far :)

I'm also planning on hitting up Hidden Falls in the next few weeks.

Reactions: jstuewe
#8 ·
I’m up in Round Rock and enjoy local rides as well. I mostly go out to Bastrop or Lago Vista but I trailer it there since I don’t like riding on the roads on a TW. I tried Emma Long when I first got the bike and clearance is definitely an issue. I made it half way around before I bent my shifter. :-(
CTOR is awesome. I‘ve done Hidden Falls and it’s worth doing.

#11 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to DualSport riding, and actually just got back on a bike after an accident in 2017 (got hit by a car who failed to yield while riding my Suzuki SV650). So far I have had a blast tooling around on the TW and finding fun little construction sites, paths/etc. to play on.

Curious if there are other Austin riders on the forum, or even a TW riders group in town. I am interested in finding some folks to ride with, as I got in a little over my head the other day with a stream and some very thick/sticky mud—went down this hill through a small stream. On my way back I got lodged in the mud trying to make it back up the hill. Finally got out, but it would've been easy with a friend, hah!

Also, any recommendations on places to ride around town, as I have yet to go on official trails. I know there are trails at Emma Long Park, as well as the Adventure Park out towards Marble Falls. I hear there is a place outside/near Georgetown as well?

Well, hopefully there are some other Austinites around. Also any Texans in general, as I imagine I'll be making a trip out to Big Bend eventually.

Thanks.
Welcome! I'm a new TDub owner Also. I'm in Ohio though, so no relavent info on where to ride. It looks as if this forum is already helping you to find what your searching for. Enjoy the TW! Be safe!

#12 ·
Looks like its been a while since you posted. Hope you still have your TDub. I bought one last year from a guy in Circle C. 2013 in good shape. Did a lot of the same farkles as you, ricochet plate etc.

I live out in Hudson Bend/Lakeway area and mainly just drive around that locality. The furthest I have ventured is Pace Bend Park. I used to drive a CT110 postie but it was really restricting because of the top speed. The TW isnt much better. I'm in the same position as you, looking for places to ride where my speed wont be an issue. Pace Bend is nice but a bit boring. I'd love to go further afield, maybe trailer the bike somewhere more exciting, even thinking about Big Bend as you also mentioned but not in the heat. I did a rally down there six years ago on a KLR650 and it was great fun.

Anyway, basically connecting to maybe share ideas and maybe connect for a ride at some point. Maybe on the backroads out towards Fredericksburg. Open to ideas..

JB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.