The snowball effect!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rode the black widow to shop to replace sticky fuel petcock and take front wheel off for shinko (goldenboy) front tire upgrade. Next thing I know I'm replacing bad front steering head bearings, changing front shocks fluid, and adding Powermadd 2" handlebar risers! Doesn't look like I'll be riding this weekend.

Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

awesome! I love replacing stuff that needs to be done. Gives you a huge feeling of gratification. Or maybe thats just me? I just like working on bikes i guess
    ALEX-

My Current Rides:

DIRT:
    2013 yz450F (race bike)
    2011 Yz450F (practice bike)
    2008 Yz250F (full mod)
    2005 TTR125 (full mod Gf's bike)

Street:
    2009 DRZ400SM (full mod)
    2009 qlink XF200 (sumo build)
    2007 SDG 140cc big bore (supermoto)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

That's pretty funny.

On the subject of the sticky petcock: any idea what causes that, or if it is fixable? The petcock on my 2003 is getting hard to turn.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh yeahhhhh

The local motorcycle shop told me to remove two front screws of petcock, take out cone and polish with that green 3m scotchbrite cleaning pad. I did that about 6 months ago and did seem better but then got really stiff again and not fun trying to switch to reserve with vehicle behind you on pavement. A new petcock was only $26 so easier to just replace on my old bike.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

well, you have it torn down that far.... you might as well tear it down the rest of the way and powder coat the frame, replace all the bearings, seals, tires, tubes, and put new plastic on it!! Oh, wait, that was my crazy logic!! ha ha!

I couldn't resist tearing mine down once I had it that far, you have more willpower than I do!!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

It's been a while but if I remember correctly you can simply remove the faceplate of the petcock and lubricate around the OUTSIDE of the part that turns. You dont want that stuff inside your petcock. The contact between that and the faceplate is what causes it to be hard to turn. On old petcocks it can be a deteriorated inner gasket, but it will be leaking when off if that is it.

As for a new one my yamaha place sells a brand new one for $16. I payed $18 on ebay and they laughed at me and said "Always check with us first!" Now I usually do.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

I tryed just for fun to lube old petcock under plate, no difference. I did notice on new petcock that the whole assembly is a little bigger and lever longer for better leverage.

Fort Payne and importmech,

Thanks for the petcock ideas. I will run my tank out and see what I can do for a fix.

Thanks,

steering head bearings done. Changing shock fluid now, very dirty. about 6 ounces came out of one and 5 from the other. flushing them with atf and then using some 5wt shock fluid I already have on the shelf. I have the drain screws on mine so changing it to 10wt later will be pretty easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links