TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

cheap and easy

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Xracer 
#1 ·
Since I got my TW, I never felt good with its appearance. The cdi went and the previous owner let it sit to be claimed by nature. Nearly every bolt was rusted or tarnished.
I just swapped out 90% of the engine screws to m6 flange bolts. Getting rid of the Phillips screws changed its whole look.

I put on a shiny stainless TTR head pipe. Still a few more but my esteem for this little fat bike has risen.
I just wish my new shock would get finished

#3 ·
don't be silly not gold, Titanium.
And there's maybe 7-8pcs of m8 bolts that I just had to get. It's nothing to do with being lighter, Once I saw how crisply machined Ti fasteners looked side by side with new oem bolts I changed nearly every thing I could on my vintage mx bike (within reason )
They look funny on my weathered red frame 87 TW. But it shows I care.
The original Phillips screws looked horiffic .And we're nearly as horrific to use. I haven't used my impact screw driver so much since 1981

#5 ·
OOOhhh...Titanium bits just get me all Sara Lea...!

#6 ·
Max your on a slope. Gee that red frame looks kind of dull next to my nice ti bolts. Think I'll just tear the bike down and paint.....no powder coat it along with the swing arm.
Hmmm.....Those fork lower need some love too and the boots need up-dated. Gosh the tank and side panels can't go back on looking like that.....And those rims with the rusted spoke nipples have got to go. I'm telling you friend it's a steep slope!!:eek:

#7 ·
" Damm it" I've got the frame and forks looking great but now the engine looks like poop. Ok..Ok..Don't panic... I can mask it off and paint it black......Maybe use crinkle on the cylinder and head.That's it...And after it dries sand and polish the fin edges! Hmmm...Flat or satin on the crank case? Power coat the outer ones? Wonder how chrome would look?

#8 ·
lol,that is exactly how thoughts run through my head xracer. I have to start putting the brakes on before I end up w a project while everyone is out riding. I need to be happy with little victories like replacing ugly fasteners. I do get jealous when I see everyone's nice shiny new Yamahas though

#9 ·
Cheap and Easy. By the title name I thought this thread was heading in a different direction but I'll accept engine screws being changed. :p I hate the JIS screws on the older Yamaha's. My 83 XT200 has the JIS as well. I want to change them out for Allen head bolts as well.

#14 ·
i was just looking at a Beta 200 yesterday. Instead of telling me that I should do better at my school work when I was young, I wish my Old Man would have put it in terms I could have understood. He should have said "one day you are going to want a new dirt bike every year and it''s going to tear at your soul that you can not buy it because your money is already spent on supporting your home. So study and make money"

#16 · (Edited)
Had a friend of mine that wrenched on jets in the Air Force. Being as they only used fasteners once then threw them away He began collecting them. Several years later He had a nice neat bin full of ti! They were all American Standard but anytime we needed a bolt and nut to hold something together ti was used. I think we had the only rototiller,push and riding lawnmowers and a few wheel barrows sporting ti fasteners in Southern Maryland.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.