cheap and easy
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: cheap and easy

cheap and easy

Since I got my TW, I never felt good with its appearance. The cdi went and the previous owner let it sit to be claimed by nature. Nearly every bolt was rusted or tarnished.
    I just swapped out 90% of the engine screws to m6 flange bolts. Getting rid of the Phillips screws changed its whole look.

I put on a shiny stainless TTR head pipe. Still a few more but my esteem for this little fat bike has risen.
    I just wish my new shock would get finished
    87 TW

Just be care full. Next thing you know those M6 bolts will be sent out for gold plating!
    admiral likes this.

don't be silly not gold, Titanium.
    And there's maybe 7-8pcs of m8 bolts that I just had to get. It's nothing to do with being lighter, Once I saw how crisply machined Ti fasteners looked side by side with new oem bolts I changed nearly every thing I could on my vintage mx bike (within reason )
    They look funny on my weathered red frame 87 TW. But it shows I care.
    The original Phillips screws looked horiffic .And we're nearly as horrific to use. I haven't used my impact screw driver so much since 1981
    Darth likes this.
    87 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It will be nice to set aside the impact driver and instead appreciate the crispness of Ti fasteners instead.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

OOOhhh...Titanium bits just get me all Sara Lea...!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Max your on a slope. Gee that red frame looks kind of dull next to my nice ti bolts. Think I'll just tear the bike down and paint.....no powder coat it along with the swing arm.
    Hmmm.....Those fork lower need some love too and the boots need up-dated. Gosh the tank and side panels can't go back on looking like that.....And those rims with the rusted spoke nipples have got to go. I'm telling you friend it's a steep slope!!

" Damm it" I've got the frame and forks looking great but now the engine looks like poop. Ok..Ok..Don't panic... I can mask it off and paint it black......Maybe use crinkle on the cylinder and head.That's it...And after it dries sand and polish the fin edges! Hmmm...Flat or satin on the crank case? Power coat the outer ones? Wonder how chrome would look?

lol,that is exactly how thoughts run through my head xracer. I have to start putting the brakes on before I end up w a project while everyone is out riding. I need to be happy with little victories like replacing ugly fasteners. I do get jealous when I see everyone's nice shiny new Yamahas though
    Darth and Xracer like this.
    87 TW

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Since I got my TW, I never felt good with its appearance. The cdi went and the previous owner let it sit to be claimed by nature. Nearly every bolt was rusted or tarnished.
    I just swapped out 90% of the engine screws to m6 flange bolts. Getting rid of the Phillips screws changed its whole look.

I put on a shiny stainless TTR head pipe. Still a few more but my esteem for this little fat bike has risen.
    I just wish my new shock would get finished

Cheap and Easy. By the title name I thought this thread was heading in a different direction but I'll accept engine screws being changed. I hate the JIS screws on the older Yamaha's. My 83 XT200 has the JIS as well. I want to change them out for Allen head bolts as well.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Tell the truth I suffer from " While I'm Here" syndrome. It always starts out as a simple job but...Hmmm...I can now reach this piece over here, may as while do that too.....and then it's an all day job or more.
    admiral likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links