WA/OR/ID ORV Licenses - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: WA/OR/ID ORV Licenses

Here in Washington they take your money and still don’t let you ride.
    Last year I purchased a brand new Polaris Ranger 1000XP. I paid to have all the turn signals, mirrors, etc installed so it would pass inspection for street use. Then I paid $50.00 for an inspection to certify it as ‘road worthy’. Then the state charged me for an ‘off road’ license, and then again for an ‘on road’ license. Both separate. I’m into this thing for almost $20 grand now.
    In October I took it hunting and while parking my truck in the National Forest the game warden stopped and told me that it is illegal to ride any roads in the Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest. Five minutes later a Forest Service cop stopped by and told me the same thing, only with the threat of a ticket if I unloaded it from the trailer. After doing some research I've found you have to check with the city, county, state, and or federal government to see the list of roads or trails that each jurisdiction covers. Most of the dirt Forest Service roads in Washington are closed to OHV’s even if they are licensed as street legal. I attached a photo from Chelan county’s website of the county owned roads they allow OHV’s to use. If you look closely most of them don’t even connect with each other causing you to push you ATV down the street to where they are once again legal.
    Just make sure you don’t forget your Discover Pass or your Washington State Dept of Wildlife Access Pass, which is also required for any motorized vehicle going to any park of forested area.
    Anyone interested in a one year old Polaris Ranger?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gastone165; 04-14-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Effect 1 July 2019, all non-residents will be required to purchase an Idaho OHV sticker if riding off-road on trails. The cost for non-residents is the same as it is for residents, $12.50. Utah's non-resident OHV requirement becomes effective on 1 January 2020. Utah's cost will be $30. At $30 dollars per vehicle, my travels to Utah in the future may be less. The cost depending on how many motorcycle's I would bring could be between $60-$90. This may be our last year of riding in Utah. I'm not sure I want to pay this for a weeks worth of riding and could end any future TW gatherings in Utah for the Admirals. Same goes for anyone who wants to ride in any state outside of their own if reciprocity is no longer valid. For us, Oregon would be the exception since we are so close and ride their a lot. We'll choke down the Oregon OHV cost because our riding time there is way more than 1 week(ish) like it is in Utah.
    The question is... when or where do you NEED an OHV sticker vs. just a license plate?

Washington state: a street plated dual-sport motorcycle is good in most places on or off-road, including roads and trails in national forests and federal lands, with just a street plate. Our OHV "sticker" is traditionally for a non-plated dirt bike. We don't sell a non-resident OHV "sticker". The only places that you would need to supplement your street plate are state owned DNR lands and ORV Parks. This supplementation can be accomplished by purchasing a Washington State Discover Pass (https://discoverpass.wa.gov) for $11.50/day or $35/year, resident or not.

I understand Oregon and Utah to be the same way, correct me if I am mistaken,. On our TW Father's Day gathering in Oregon last year, we needed to get Oregon's 2-year OHV sticker because we were riding inside of a state OHV area. In Utah, again, on our gatherings we've never needed a OHV sticker because almost all of our riding has been done on federal land. If you go to a state OHV area, then yes, you will need their sticker. Idaho seems to simply require the OHV sticker for riding trails on any public lands. For $12.50/year, I'm okay with that.
    bartruff and admiral like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Someone needs to compile a booklet. I’ve found when you call the the different agency’s or talk to the enforcement personal (cops), some of them are completely unaware of the rules. Unfortunately some folks will be glad to write you a ticket whether you are violating a law or not. Most likely you will be violating something or other and not know it. Too much confusion, Too many differing jurisdictions. Too many rules. Too many fee’s.
    WHS and goldenhtr like this.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
    The question is... when or where do you NEED an OHV sticker vs. just a license plate?

Washington state: a street plated dual-sport motorcycle is good in most places on or off-road, including roads and trails in national forests and federal lands, with just a street plate. Our OHV "sticker" is traditionally for a non-plated dirt bike. We don't sell a non-resident OHV "sticker". The only places that you would need to supplement your street plate are state owned DNR lands and ORV Parks. This supplementation can be accomplished by purchasing a Washington State Discover Pass (https://discoverpass.wa.gov) for $11.50/day or $35/year, resident or not.

I understand Oregon and Utah to be the same way, correct me if I am mistaken,. On our TW Father's Day gathering in Oregon last year, we needed to get Oregon's 2-year OHV sticker because we were riding inside of a state OHV area. In Utah, again, on our gatherings we've never needed a OHV sticker because almost all of our riding has been done on federal land. If you go to a state OHV area, then yes, you will need their sticker. Idaho seems to simply require the OHV sticker for riding trails on any public lands. For $12.50/year, I'm okay with that.
    Idaho has always been a little different even with motorcycles with street plates. Speaking of M/C's, UTV's, ATV's etc, you have to get an OHV sticker if riding a trail. Because of the law change this will also include not residents.

If we have a house warming TW200 gathering in June for exampe (hint, hint), the old rule will still apply and if Idaho has/had reciprocity with another state then the non-resident would not have to get an Idaho OHV sticker if they have one from their home state. If you don't have an OHV sticker from Washington State then you would have to get an Idaho OHV sticker. After 1 July it won't matter and everyone will have to get one.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Ever notice these new User Fees tend to be in Sanctuary City permissive states? Guess they need more money from the law abiding to shelter those foreigners who break our laws.
    California should follow suite soon, especially if the new "If you want them, you can have them" policy of bussing illegals to outside Nancy Pilose's walled compound is implemented.
    I better get ready to bend over.
    TW-Brian, Mel, elime and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 “Mr.Gizmo
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    California should follow suite soon, especially if the new "If you want them, you can have them" policy of bussing illegals to outside Nancy Pilose's walled compound is implemented.
    Send a bus load to Gavin Newsom's neighborhood too. Hint: Its not the Governor's Mansion. Its in Fair Oaks. Just 15 miles from Sacramento. (He could have walked to work but now he drives -- the planet be damned!) The new 12.000 square foot house, on 8.2 acre lot, has been sited as being more "kid friendly" with such amenities as a tennis court, wine cellar, hot tub, pool, and separate guest quarters -- perfect for an illegal family to take refuge. Anybody want to bet the only illegals that sees the inside of those quarters will be cleaning it?
    TW-Brian and Fred like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Does Gavin commute on a TW ?
    elime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Ever notice these new User Fees tend to be in Sanctuary City permissive states? Guess they need more money from the law abiding to shelter those foreigners who break our laws.
    I better get ready to bend over.
    Oh bullshit and stop trying to make everything about your fucking politics! Christ I am so sick of it. Idaho is implementing a new policy, and they are about as sanctuary friendly as you are, so what's your answer to that... Yeah, that's what I thought, more bullshit.

Gastone….I am a retired Transportation Systems Manager for the Forest Service who worked on both the Mt Baker Snoqualmie and the Wenatchee Okanogan National Forests...…. and open Forest Development Roads are open to vehicles that are operated by a licensed driver/rider and licensed for highway use by the State ....without getting too far in the weeds....your plated Polaris has the same rights as your plated TW......and for that matter your pickup …….see Larry's post #12....

Since you mentioned hunting.....I am going to guess that you may have been in a Green Dot Area where all the roads are closed to motorized use except those identified with Green Dot markers....there should have been a sign and a map to that effect at the road entrance....that is the only place I can think of that a Warden would issue a ticket for vehicle use on a Forest Service Road.
    Last edited by bartruff; Yesterday at 10:02 AM.
    elime and Fred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    Does Gavin commute on a TW ?
    If he did I might consider voting for him but no, he travels to work in a small caravan of Chevy Suburbans

Quote Originally Posted by WHS View Post
    Oh bullshit and stop trying to make everything about your fucking politics! Christ I am so sick of it. Idaho is implementing a new policy, and they are about as sanctuary friendly as you are, so what's your answer to that... Yeah, that's what I thought, more bullshit.
    Lighten up dude! People are going to think you are related to QWERTY.
    TW-Brian, admiral and goldenhtr like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links