WA/OR/ID ORV Licenses
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: WA/OR/ID ORV Licenses

WA/OR/ID ORV Licenses

So, I went down to transfer the title on my TW... My brother in Oregon bought the bike and gave it to me as a gift. What this used to mean was I would not have to pay tax on a vehicle that was gifted to me... Turns out this law has changed and no longer applies to out of state title transfers in Washington. So I had to pay tax, but here is the more important news. I had to buy not only an on-road license, but off-road as well, and that is when I found out that Oregon, Washington and Idaho no longer have reciprocal agreements!! Yup, if you are from Oregon and have an ORV sticker, that is no longer valid in Washington and vice-versa, same with Idaho. You want to ride off road in another state, you will need to buy a license for that state! Cost me $420 (yes, four hundred twenty) to pay tax, title transfer, road plates and off road decals.

Personally, I am writing my state officials to complain about the reciprocal issue. I mean I now need buy three different set's of licenses just to ride the trails in the PNW, and that is just ridiculous!
    Darth, ejfranz and grewen like this.

On road vehicles you pay for the vehicle by registration fees for that state and can go across the country...

But unfortunately, recreation fees (which I believe is the off road fee is) are for use at the location. Luckily its not separate fees for state and federal lands.
    I can get a fishing or hunting license, but how come there's an out of state license fee if I want to go elsewhere...
    2018 TW200 just purchased used with only 30 off road miles.
    also have Honda GL500 GL650 CX650 … another great forum like this.

Hey Fred, I just checked Idaho and Utah non-resident atv licensing. Idaho still good to go. Utah still good to go but only through 2019. After 2019 Utah will no longer recognize any states atv licenses. You will have to buy a non-resident permit. I was worried I would have to leave my 4 Wheeler at home for the Moab trip but good to go for this year only. A lot of folks who flock to Utah from out of state to ride the Paiute atv trail system are going to be upset.
    WHS likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Fred, I feel your pain. I never dual registered my TW because of WA state's horrible track record of stealing the NOVA (non-highway off-road vehicle activities) funds which is where your Off-Road registration funds partially go to fund building and maintenance of trails and the sport and activities. For those not in WA, our state uses a off-road registration system for our ORV tags, similar to the street plate registration. It isn't as simple as purchasing a sticker over-the-counter like in OR or ID. I prefer to purchase those states' stickers when I go to ride there, as they are more likely to get the funds back into the sport. Luckily in WA, there are very few places you actually NEED to pay-to-play, as the street plate covers you in most areas and trails. I fill the gap with the state Discovery Pass, which I'm likely to buy anyway for state parks and campgrounds. My choice, and to each their own.
    ejfranz likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Like Utah, this year the Idaho legislature passed a bill requiring out of state riders to purchase an OHV sticker IF RIDING ON THE TRAILS. No OHV sticker is required to ride a street legal bike on logging roads unless it is changed to a trail. Dirt bikes, ATV's & UTV's also require an OHV sticker (and OHV Plate if Idaho resident).

This undoubtedly will change the reciprocity with all the states. We ride in Oregon a lot so I'm sure I'll have to buy an Oregon OHV equivalent.

Starting next January, Utah's sticker is gonna be $30. In Idaho, out of staters requiring an OHV sticker will have to pay the $12 fee we in Idaho have to pay. Tourism is getting to be expensive.
    ejfranz, Donzo and WHS like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

California is $52 now for dirt bikes and ATVs, dual sports road registrated are ok. Seems like the states are looking for as many ways to get you to part with your money esp if it is offroad - ecologists would rather keep you out of the woods and they are well represented in the Gobment.
    admiral likes this.

from Oregon's webpage...

An ATV/OHV operating permit that is issued in another state shall be honored in the State of Oregon if the issuing state also honors an Oregon ATV operating permit.
    Regardless of the class of ATV, an operator must have a resident state ATV/OHV operating permit or a State of Oregon ATV operating permit to operate the ATV on public lands in Oregon. An Oregon ATV Operating Permit may be issued to any class ATV owned by a resident of another state.

As of October 2017, Oregon honors permits from the following states:
    Arizona
    California Effective February 22, 2017 Non-California residents must comply with the California Air Resources Board Red Sticker riding season requirements. For more information, click here.
    Additionally, here is a link to the bulletin and the site listing the riding schedule.
    Idaho Effective January 1, 2020, out-of-state residents must obtain a "nonresident OHV user certificate".
    Indiana
    Missouri
    Nevada
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Utah
    Vermont
    Washington

These states currently have an OHV registration program that can issue a plate or decal (or both) that serves as their ATV permit to operate on or off-road. This plate may or may not make the OHV street legal to be operated on public roads and highways. Oregon recognizes other states' OHV plates or ATV permits in lieu of the Oregon ATV permit when operating off-road.
    Mel, Sthrnromr, bartruff and 1 others like this.
    2018 TW200 just purchased used with only 30 off road miles.
    also have Honda GL500 GL650 CX650 … another great forum like this.

According to the Montana hunting regulations they want $27.00 for any out of state OHV. Excepting North Dakota and Idaho.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

Question: Will Idaho this summer consider my street legal fully licensed and insured dual purpose motorcycle an "ATV" and thus require any additional permits, fees, stickers, etc like Oregon?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 “Mr.Gizmo
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Question: Will Idaho this summer consider my street legal fully licensed and insured dual purpose motorcycle an "ATV" and thus require any additional permits, fees, stickers, etc like Oregon?
    Effect 1 July 2019, all non-residents will be required to purchase an Idaho OHV sticker if riding off-road on trails. The cost for non-residents is the same as it is for residents, $12.50. Utah's non-resident OHV requirement becomes effective on 1 January 2020. Utah's cost will be $30. At $30 dollars per vehicle, my travels to Utah in the future may be less. The cost depending on how many motorcycle's I would bring could be between $60-$90. This may be our last year of riding in Utah. I'm not sure I want to pay this for a weeks worth of riding and could end any future TW gatherings in Utah for the Admirals. Same goes for anyone who wants to ride in any state outside of their own if reciprocity is no longer valid. For us, Oregon would be the exception since we are so close and ride their a lot. We'll choke down the Oregon OHV cost because our riding time there is way more than 1 week(ish) like it is in Utah.
    Fred and WHS like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links