Introduction
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hey gang

I just wanted to give a brief introduction of myself here, as I may be asking some dumb questions in various areas on the message board over the coming days and weeks about the TW 200. I am the kind of guy who researches stuff to death so at the risk of boring you and myself here goes.

I am 59 years old- fairly fit for my age - stand 6 feet even and maintain a pretty constant weight of 185 pounds - With about a 31 inch inseam I think I could stand flatfooted straddling the TW. I used to ride motorcycles - don't laugh but the last time I rode was in the mid 70's as a teenager. I owned a small enduro type bike, an 80 cc ARCTIC CAT. I rode often and was pretty good riding it but other than borrowing other bikes from time to time that is about the extent of my motorcycling experience. Biggest I have ridden solo was a 250 HD street bike that we used as a trail bike. After I got my drivers license at 16, I bought a 48 Willys jeep and my Arctic Cat was mothballed and eventually sold.

So now pushing 60 years old I have been giving serious consideration for several months to taking up motorcycling again. And I want to do most of my riding off road with the occasional trip into town for what ever. I've been looking at various classified ads for endure and dual sport bikes and the one that really caught my eye was the TW. I have always wanted a Yamaha - even when I was riding my little Artic Cat I dreamed of moving up to a 125 or 250 Enduro. The things I like about the TW200 are its rugged lines ( imo it looks like a motorcycle should look) , low weight, simplicity, beefiness, power enough but not too much for an old dude to handle, the fat tires ( we have a LOT of sand down here) and it appears I might actually be able to afford a decent used one as the prices appear reasonable if I can find one in my area.

My question to you all is am I nuts for thinking about getting back into motorcycling at my age and do you think this bike would be a good fit for me? What are the pros and cons of owning/riding/maintaining a TW ?

Perfect bike, lots of old timers around here and it just happens to be the friendliest, best motorcycle forum out there. Ask all the questions you want.

Welcome bro!!
    admiral, Sthrnromr, OldMan and 4 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

There are no dumb questions on this forum! Getting back into motorcycling at your age? I did that in 2010 at 62 and haven't looked back....so much fun and adventure (the fairly mild sort) in the last 8 years, I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Pros: inexpensive, easy to maintain, great for slow trail-riding and exploring.
    Cons: The inability to keep up with 65+ mph traffic in the hills. Suspension inadequate for really aggressive riding in the dirt (it can be improved with mods). Sounds perfect for you.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 04-12-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    admiral, Sthrnromr, OldMan and 4 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum, OldMan!

Just do it,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    There are no dumb questions on this forum! Getting back into motorcycling at your age? I did that in 2010 at 62 and haven't looked back....so much fun and adventure (the fairly mild sort) in the last 8 years, I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Pros: inexpensive, easy to maintain, great for slow trail-riding and exploring.
    Cons: The inability to keep up with 65+ mph traffic in the hills. Suspension inadequate for really aggressive riding in the dirt (it can be improved with mods). Sounds perfect for you.
    +1

elBuro, just turned 60. Riding since 1976...
    admiral, OldMan, ejfranz and 3 others like this.
    2006 TW200 CA version

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    My question to you all is am I nuts for thinking about getting back into motorcycling at my age and do you think this bike would be a good fit for me? What are the pros and cons of owning/riding/maintaining a TW ?

My opinion, a TW would be THE bike for getting back into riding. I'm in central NC (Alamance Co) and picked mine up about a year ago. I'm 64, been riding since the late 60's, and had never heard of the TW til shortly before I got mine. Wish I'd found it years ago. It's great for riding at a "mature" pace. Assuming you're looking for a used one, you'll have to be patient in your search and be willing to travel as they don't pop up very often in our area (my experience). And don't drag your feet when you see one. If it's in decent shape and priced fair, it won't last long. Cons, only thing I can think of would be I wouldn't want to run the Interstate on one, but that's me. Pros, simple and reliable, and this great forum in the event you have to work on it. A great community here.

Mike
    admiral, OldMan, ejfranz and 3 others like this.

If you buy one it will be hard to remove the smile from your face, even when it hurts! At 58, quitting is not an option but Advil is my post riding prescription!
    Rhodetrip, OldMan, ejfranz and 5 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

High speed is not fun, enjoy your TW, welcome to the best forum on the internet.

Thank you all for the friendly welcome and advice ! Its good to know I won't be the oldest member here . I guess one of my first decisions to make will be whether to relieve my post ride pain with advil or something from the ABC.

First question - are there any female riders here ? SWMBO says if I get a bike she wants to ride it - I am thinking that since she refused to learn how to drive a car we had with a standard transmission ( clutch ) that may be a bit problematic.

OldMan, there are a few active female members on the Forum. There is a growing number of females riding motorcycles.
    I bought the TW so my daughter could ride with me.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front Duro is gone to a good home, 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my sone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links