• 1 Post By OldMan
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By OldMan
  • 4 Post By PlacerLode
  • 2 Post By elBuro
  • 1 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By Sthrnromr
  • 1 Post By PlacerLode

Thread: Buying a used TW - What to look for ?

Question Buying a used TW - What to look for ?

I did some searches here and didn't find a dedicated thread about buying a used TW - if there is one out there maybe you could point me in its direction. If not - I may be going to look at a used TW in the next day or two. What are the things I should be looking for in a decent used bike? Or be looking out for is probably the better question to ask ? What things on TW 's in particular are potential problems, especially on a bike 10 or so years old with a few thousand miles on it ? What do you do when you are looking at a used TW you may buy ? I'm a decent handyman, but I am not a mechanic - , my mechanical skills are pretty much limited to things such as replacing a carb that is acting up on the lawnmower and changing inner tubes on bicycle tires - simple stuff that I can watch someone do on you tube and copy.

Also I found a general used price guide here

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycl.../Special-Notes

It isn't very specific for mileage etc - is there somewhere else I should be looking to get an idea what a used bike should cost me ?
    Last edited by OldMan; 04-16-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    PlacerLode likes this.

Scroll down and check out the "Similar Threads" listed below.

thank you - I didn't even know that feature was on the forum - moderators delete this thread if you want
    PlacerLode likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I use a simple pattern I seek TW's with 1000 or less miles, preferable under 500 miles and ideally under 100 miles and not submerged in a fresh or salt water lake or river !

With that many miles you really cannot hurt a TW or any bike for that matter

Might you have to deal with gummy carbs and dead batteries etc ? yes of course but I prefer that to replacing pistons and rebuilding heads on ultra high mile TW's

Also with low or no milers once you have taken care of refreshments you have a nice tight TW well worth owning and one that will yield decades of reliable service

common refrain "well I can't find any TW's like that in my area" and yes thats quite possible but I urge you to go out and live life heck go and hit the road and see people and places you may never have been otherwise it all becomes part of the fabric of the TrailWay Experience

In my experience there are no boring or uninteresting TW owners and I have never regretted travelling to buy or sell a TW

My X gal friend was the accountant type (Hot Librarian Actually lol) and she used to razz me saying I barely made 2 cents an hour with all the time I spend exploring for TW's but I told her when I'm arriving to pick up a TW the seller invariably says " drive past the main driveway and take the second driveway and head back to the hangar" and I find them building their own helicopter !

When I go to sell a TW and deliver it the buyer says "drive past the main driveway and take the second driveway and meet me back at the hangar" and I find them building their own amphibious landing craft out of TIG welded aluminum

Both of these things actually happened and many more including a gent from Joseph Oregon who lived 26 miles through dirt farm pastures and 18 gates and lived alone (with his wife) on a remote mountain too in a Geodesic dome home, flying a handbuilt Cub and had all the cool toys from TW's to mini John Deere Backhoes and a full machine shop

Theres a lot to the TrailWay way of life enjoy the ride !!!
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    I did some searches here and didn't find a dedicated thread about buying a used TW - if there is one out there maybe you could point me in its direction. If not - I may be going to look at a used TW in the next day or two. What are the things I should be looking for in a decent used bike? Or be looking out for is probably the better question to ask ? What things on TW 's in particular are potential problems, especially on a bike 10 or so years old with a few thousand miles on it ? What do you do when you are looking at a used TW you may buy ? I'm a decent handyman, but I am not a mechanic - , my mechanical skills are pretty much limited to things such as replacing a carb that is acting up on the lawnmower and changing inner tubes on bicycle tires - simple stuff that I can watch someone do on you tube and copy.

Also I found a general used price guide here

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycl.../Special-Notes

It isn't very specific for mileage etc - is there somewhere else I should be looking to get an idea what a used bike should cost me ?
    2006 -2009 watch out for leaky base gasket. I had to upgrade my 2006 to 2010 gasket. Known problem.
    nathanwind and OldMan like this.
    2006 TW200 CA version

Quote Originally Posted by elBuro View Post
    2006 -2009 watch out for leaky base gasket. I had to upgrade my 2006 to 2010 gasket. Known problem.
    Once it gets the gasket upgrade is the bike good to go or is this some sort of casting problem where there will always be a chance for leakage?

You have a choice with the “base gasket problem”. Once you change it for the “latest version” of the gasket, the cure is permanent. But (there’s always a but) you could also try loosening off and “re-torqueing” the original, which works in 50% of cases

I believe the “re-torque” technique involves no more than loosening off the bolts, applying a bit of “lube”, and then re-torqueing to spec

There was obviously some kind of manufacturing defect on the leaky gaskets – whether it was the gasket, the case, or the combination of both we are not sure of. Presumably, once a new gasket has been applied, it would need a re-torque anyway. There is no way of telling how many of those “replacements” were necessary or not. Some have reported casing defects that needed the newer gasket to overcome, but re-torqueing the bolts is certainly worth a try ……..
    OldMan likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Like any used motorcycle, I am usually less concerned about miles than I am about condition and maintenance. I look for rust, routine maintenance and any strange feels or sounds on a test ride.
    OldMan likes this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    Once it gets the gasket upgrade is the bike good to go or is this some sort of casting problem where there will always be a chance for leakage?
    It's a casting problem. The two halves of the cases often are not perfectly level. The new gasket was intended to band-aid a manufacturing defect, and from what I've heard largely works fine. Due to manufacturing variances, some bikes get this issue while others don't.

I had my jug off at one point and just sanded the ridge out of the case. I didn't have any leakage, but there was a noticeable ridge between the halves.

As mentioned often re-torquing the head bolts helps as well if you do notice some leakage.

Base gasket issues were usually 2003 to 2005 I've never seen a 2006 to 2009 with the issue. It's also not all that common I've possibly owned more than a normal amount of TW's and I have never had a TW with a weeping base gasket but then again I don't buy high milers ie over 2000 miles. Even with a weepy base gasket you can ride the rest of your life and just pretend you got the rare self changing oil kit option and not worry about it
    Purple likes this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links