mint condition 2003 tw200 newbie
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: mint condition 2003 tw200 newbie

mint condition 2003 tw200 newbie

New here, and new to bikes. Been looking for a TW200 for sometime, mostly to hunt off of, and get up in to some remote country and off road stuff. Guy who was working for me recently retired and was moving and wanted to get rid of all his stuff. Sold me his 2003 for $500! Clean title, super well taken care of, stored inside its whole life, and only has 1049miles on it. Super lucky and stoked to get it going! Brought it home and it fired right up, but was leaking fuel out of the carb when I turned it off. read up on it, sounds pretty normal and might require a carb cleaning, or rebuild? Would love a bit of input on this. I attached some pics. 20190422_133852.jpg

Man O Man, you got the deal of a lifetime bro!! Welcome to the forum!!
    SpeedyTide likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Congratulations Duke and welcome to the forum, you just scored a great deal on a nice looking TW!

Sounds like a sticking float valve. You might want to try running some fresh gas with a heavy dose of Seafoam before you start tearing things apart. Or maybe just a gentle whack to the carb with a plastic hammer might do the trick.

Brian

p.s. these bikes typically run better when the sparkplug wire is connected (just teasing you )

Last edited by TW-Brian; 04-24-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Tweaker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes indeed. right place, right time. Thanks TW-Brian, i am going to do just that, draining the fuel tank out tonight, and putting in fresh ethanol free with a heavy dose of seafoam. Good eye on the sparkplug wire, i had to find that out the hard way.
    TW-Brian likes this.

Wow, congrats on an amazing deal. I would change fluids, clean carb and then go from there. You may not even need, or have to do anything else. Welcome to the forum!
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Welcome to the group and Congrats on a great buy! You're going to love your new found pastime!
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

2003 for $500. You suck! Kidding of course Welcome.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Duke, check the brake fluid through the sight glass in the master. If it's any color other than clear ( think straw, tea, molasses) change it. I recently picked up a 2007 with less than 300 miles on it, the fluid was the color of a strong cup of tea. The original engine oil was a lighter color. The seemingly sealed system allows the fluid to absorb water, bad for the whole system. It's a cheap and easy bit of maintenance many overlook. You might also want to replace the sixteen year old tires... or at least the front one. Congrats a great deal!

close enough to $500 in racks on that bike, congrats on a great deal!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

There is a lesson to be learned by all TW owners in this. Congrats on a fabulous score! Yes on dumping the stale fuel and replacing it with real gas and a heavy dose of sea foam or some other elixir that frees up gunk in carbs. The lesson is a rather simple one. Turn the fuel petcock off when ever the bike is not in use. Float needle valves can stick open at any time. I parked one of my TWs in the garage one afternoon while working on another one. All was fine all afternoon and I went in for dinner and then to bed. In the morning I went out to the garage and found the parked TW had leaked the entire tank over night from a stuck float valve. It never leaked before and it was not leaking when I went inside so at some point during the night it just began leaking. I would have to surmise the change in temperature might have been the culprit that allowed the valve to open as the engine and garage cooled and then become stuck.

GaryL
    Rickhem likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links