To TW, or not to TW!! That is......
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: To TW, or not to TW!! That is......

To TW, or not to TW!! That is......

the question. I'm torn! Not sure what to do!!

Haven't been on here too much last few months (just joined back in June '18 I think). Any who.......I'd posted while back I was considering the TAT this summer, and still am! But, on a new (well, used....) bike. An '05 DR650. She's a beaut! Already set up really nice! LOVE IT!! My purchase of it was A LOT like when I bought my TW end of June last year.....some of you may remember my thread. I'm from Jax, FL..... went to buy in NC, didn't pan out, didn't feel like going home empty (after having rented enlcosed U-haul trailer behind my torque monsta ride (Prius ), then found and went to Indiana and purchased the TW, then back to Jax. Ya'll remember?

Well, still in Jax, FL, I found & picked up the DR just down the road in Okiehoma (here we go again....ROAD TRIP)! Luckily my Mom's in LA (Lower Alabama), so had a nice stop/break coming & going out. This time I rented the open U-haul trailer. I'm jibber-jabbering......on to my point.

Well, the TAT trip is about just over 2 1/2 months away. I'd planned on the TW, but the time it takes to do the trip, then getting back home, we'd decided we'll be putting in some high mile days early on (it is just the Southeast, so not as scenic), and some at a spirited pace, some of that being tarmac. We all know the TW's shortcomings......buzziness at speed, suspension, and seat. I'd planned on suspension upgrades anyhow, among other mods, but being where I am I have to ride an hour or so (I know...that's not that bad), just to get the trails, and I'd be wore out by time I got there (again the buzziness mostly). That's when I decided I needed something better equipped for the TAT (DR650). If I was able to do the trip more leisurely (like if I were retired) I'd do it on the TW in a heartbeat! Again, I'm jibber-jabbin'. Well, registered the DR and transferred the tag from.......... the TW. I really don't need 3 bikes (3rd is my track/race bike), and feel it'd be best to sell the TW since I know it won't get the ride time. This is where I'm torn. LOVE that 'lil tractor! I definitely plan on keeping the DR.

What's a man to do!?!?!?!?
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    2003 Honda CBR600RR - Race/Track bike
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

Here's the newer ride.
    DR650.jpg
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

I think you have already answered your own question! Really not the best bike for the TAT....if you want to keep up and not have to stop for gas every 100 miles.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps my post was confusing. The DR is going on the TAT trip. Talking about selling the TW outright since it likely won't get much ride time in future, and I really don't need 2 DS bikes. But, I love the TW. Haven't been able to bring myself to sell it, but feel I should. I don't know man....
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

I'm keeping mine. Sometimes it's nice to just relax and Cruze around. It's fun and an old friend, can't let her go.
    Sthrnromr and turbodieseli4i6 like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

But I have thought if selling it now and then but I always come to my senses.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

I know what you mean. I've got a kitted out KLR but sometimes it's nice to get on the Dub and just take it easy. Also it's a great loaner bike and the wife can ride it.

you can always get another one later....

how dialed in is yours? stock? i've ridden about a dozen other tdubs, and none feel like my own bike does, they all have their peculiarities. i guess i could relearn what mine feels like, but i sure like mine.
    Last edited by joeband; 04-25-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My TW hasn't got the ride time that I wished for in the last year or two either. I commute with the NC700X because it gets better mpg than the TW and DR at the speeds I ride to work. Heck, the TW couldn't even get close to those speeds anyway.

No way in hell I'd sell my TW! It doesn't cost that much to keep around anyway. If I could do the TAT this year, I'd take the DR. Give me a few more when I retire. The TW would be my choice. The older I get, the more I like the TW and less I like the heavier bikes for trails.
    Good luck with your choice.
    Xracer and SpeedyTide like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    you can always get another one later....

how dialed in is yours? stock? i've ridden about a dozen other tdubs, and none feel like my own bike does, they all have their peculiarities. i guess i could relearn what mine feels like, but i sure like mine.
    The TW is stock other than an X-ring chain, and a gel seat pad.
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links