Boot Stretcher?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Boot Stretcher?

Boot Stretcher?

As a big dude who like to ride, boots don’t always favor my gloriously wide foot... I mean, I understand everyone isn’t tromping around with Paul Bunyan legs but finding wide adventure boots is a little tough.

I really like my forma adventure boots, and when I initially tried them on it felt like a good fit, now that they are wearing in more, on the sole and ankle, I can definitely feel more pressure from the narrow foot space... I’d hate to give up the boots, but anyone tried a boot stretcher? Does it work? Do you risk the integrity of the boot?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Put a water ballon in your boot and throw it in the freezer.
    jtomelliott49, Fred and Purple like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

A tea kettle of boiling water... pour some over booted feet in tight area, get down and squat on balls of feet, picking up heels, then walk a bit, repeat a few times... always helped me get that perfect fit. Don't cook your feet. DAMHIK Heat and water softens it a bit, seems to hold the stretch. There is a turnbuckle style stretcher, and I've used them with little success. Very difficult to get in the right spot in a boot and tighten. I also have a crank to widen wooden foot form with different add ons (kind of like a Mr Potato Head) that worked wonders on shoes, but is useless in boots.
    Did you try one size up in the Forma's? When in the larger sizes (46 euro and upwards) they only get a few mm's longer, but they also get wider with each increase. One pair is 47, barely longer than the 46's which were tight, but significantly wider. The remainder are all 46 and fit well.
    While I like the frozen balloon idea, I know firsthand what ice can do to pipes and other seemingly solid things... I'd fear ruining the boot.
    Last edited by Kayak; 05-02-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    It's never too late to be assimilated...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Get in a hot shower with your socks and boots on, get them good and wet, then wear until dry.
    reddave and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

What’s worked for me in the past is to soak the boot in very warm water until the leather is thoroughly saturated. This is the important part. Then you put on as many socks on your feet as humanly possible to stretch out the boot and insulate your foot from the upcoming heat. Then heat the offending areas of the boot with a heat gun or hair dryer while doing all the squatting and other boot flexing exercises that Kayak mentioned. Take care not to damage the leather, rubber or other glues and such by getting them too hot. Time, not intensity, is your friend. Then wear them till they dry as LittleTommy mentioned. Replacing your socks with dry ones from time to time helps speed the drying process.
    The last step is to re-treat the boots with a good leather product to keep the leather hydrated and flexible and to also keep it from shrinking or cracking.
    reddave and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

As a young man in Boy Scouts we were instructed to wear new hiking boots with double socks, soak in a creek, and wear until dry. Never did it with my Forma Adventure's, though. It turns out their size 8 fit my size 8 deer hoof like a glove!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak View Post
    A tea kettle of boiling water... pour some over booted feet in tight area, get down and squat on balls of feet, picking up heels, then walk a bit, repeat a few times... always helped me get that perfect fit. Don't cook your feet. DAMHIK Heat and water softens it a bit, seems to hold the stretch. There is a turnbuckle style stretcher, and I've used them with little success. Very difficult to get in the right spot in a boot and tighten. I also have a crank to widen wooden foot form with different add ons (kind of like a Mr Potato Head) that worked wonders on shoes, but is useless in boots.
    Did you try one size up in the Forma's? When in the larger sizes (46 euro and upwards) they only get a few mm's longer, but they also get wider with each increase. One pair is 47, barely longer than the 46's which were tight, but significantly wider. The remainder are all 46 and fit well.
    While I like the frozen balloon idea, I know firsthand what ice can do to pipes and other seemingly solid things... I'd fear ruining the boot.
    I did go a size up, and I just didn’t spend enough time in them before buying them. I’ll try the hot water, you just reminded me... I remember back in basic training after my boots dried out from marching in the water and mud... they fit a lot better, maybe I’ll just take em in the shower with me next time!

Quote Originally Posted by reddave View Post
    As a young man in Boy Scouts we were instructed to wear new hiking boots with double socks, soak in a creek, and wear until dry. Never did it with my Forma Adventure's, though. It turns out their size 8 fit my size 8 deer hoof like a glove!
    Should have read your post before responding before, yep, awesome idea, gonna soak em in the tub!

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Get in a hot shower with your socks and boots on, get them good and wet, then wear until dry.
    I love this forum! I started thinking that right after reading one of the other posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Only works if you stay neked for the entire time it takes for the boots to dry.
    Found in the Boy Scout manual.
    Last edited by stagewex; 05-03-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    jtomelliott49 and Rider21 like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links