TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Transporting your TW or smallish bikes

7K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Workingman 
#1 ·
Transporting your TW or smallish bikes in pick ups

I have a full 8 foot bed pick up truck. Is there anything wrong or dangerous about just laying a TW over on its side in the truck bed ( with some protection for the down side ) rather than upright on the wheels and tied off like I see most people do ? It seems like it would be more stable as long as I tie it off fore and aft in case of a fast stop/start.

#4 ·
I carry my dirt bike on my pickup all the time. Wouldn't hesitate to haul the tw200 the same way. I load it centered and the front wheel touching the front of the bed. Two tie down straps from each side of the handlebars to the post holes of the truck. Haul it anywhere at any speed. Never moved.

#5 ·
I have done what you ask about but only with well worn rescue TWs I have bought. I would not do it with a fairly nice TW that I want to ride upon arrival. I actually removed the front wheel and stuffed a TW in the back of my 4 Runner laid on it's side for the drive home but it was a non running 1988 Black Widow that had plenty of battle scars already. They do ride real well upright with just a couple tie downs and I usually secure the rear wheel as well.

GaryL

#7 · (Edited)
If you don’t mind laying it down to transport then you really don’t need a truck.
View attachment 192820
Too bad we can't see this Jack Wagons girlfriend hanging on to the bar on the passenger side or through the sun roof. WOW! I see this dumb crap all the time around here but it's usually a king size box spring and mattress strapped to the roof of a Honda Civic going 65 up the highway from Sam's Club.
Oh Yea, a few days later we usually see an old mattress and box spring dumped along a lonely road.

GaryL

#8 ·
You have a truck with an 8 foot bed?
I would do as you say "like most people do".

I could lay a minibike on it's side on my trailer but I wouldn't.

#9 · (Edited)
If you’ve got an 8’ bed I’d just pick up one of the Condor motorcycle stands/chocks (or similar) that lock the front wheel in place (upright) and then strap it down as others mentioned. Nice thing about the Condor is that it’s easy to do solo. That’s how I hauled my TW in my profile pic (even with a shorter bed).

#11 ·
... Is there anything wrong or dangerous about just laying a TW over on its side in the truck bed ( with some protection for the down side ) rather than upright on the wheels and tied off like I see most people do ? ......
Make SURE you turn the gas off! If you don't the gas will leak out of the carb all over the truck bed.The real problem is that depending on how long you transport it that way the oil will leak up through the rings and pool in the cylinder and other places it isn't supposed to be.

Maybe 1/2 hour tops.

#13 ·
Nothing wrong with that.
I'd secure the rear wheel though.

Reactions: jtomelliott49
#15 ·
I would think that laying it on it's side would spill gas, flood the engine and oil may go into the cylinder and head.
I have hauled moto's of all sizes upright with 2 tie down straps attached from the handlebars (low and towards the bar clamps) to the stake bed pockets all my life without drama.
This includes rough dirt road travel at reasonable speed.

Best wishes

#16 ·
I have read this thread several times now. I think OldMan was trying to be funny. This should be moved to the joke section. Nobody hauls a motorcycle laying on its side. Unless it is a piece of crap that they are fixing up or hauling to the scrap yard.

#20 ·
Vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Floor Fender

No mentioned the battery. If it is a regular battery all the acid will lead out all over your bike. I bought a strong D ring from Harbor freight and installed it at the front of the bed and on the floor in the middle.The corner of the bed works like a great chock you turn the wheel into the corner and then use two tie downs on the handle bars one to the front bed tie. down and one to the side tie down. I could put two TWs in my 6.5 ft bed. I also used a third strap on my rack to the back bed tie down. I also use a folding ATV ramp with 3/16” plywood on it to load safely.

#21 ·
I have a full 8 foot bed pick up truck. Is there anything wrong or dangerous about just laying a TW over on its side in the truck bed ( with some protection for the down side ) rather than upright on the wheels and tied off like I see most people do ? It seems like it would be more stable as long as I tie it off fore and aft in case of a fast stop/start.
I don't advice laying the bike on it's side unless you're going to remove the fluids. They'll leak for certain, and you'll probably flood your carb. Standing it upright with straps is really stable, especially since you have an 8' bed, and can definitely close your tailgate as well. You'll need a ramp, but otherwise it's pretty easy. Also consider a tail hitch carries—I am considering trading my ramp for a hitch carrier myself. We'll see. Good luck.

#25 ·
I have two trucks, one with an 8' bed and one with a 5.5' bed. In both, I jam it into the left front corner and swing the back tire against the right side wheel well. I put two straps on from and strap the rear tire up against the wheel well. Never moves. If I had a block or something to hold the front wheel still, I would load it straight in.

#27 ·
Transporting your TW or smallish bikes in pick ups

It sounds like risky if you not done that before. My choice to transport my bike using any bike delivery service whose transporters are verified against felonies and DUI.
If you’d rather not use a bike shipping service, you can take your bike directly to carriers like FedEx or UPS.
Whichever shipping option you pick, consider paying a little extra to protect your bike. So check about "How to protect your bike while shipping" also.

#29 ·
If it runs why not just ride it ?
Lots more fun just takes a little longer..

Reactions: Willys714
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.