Bmw g 310
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Bmw g 310

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar

Bmw g 310

What can anyone tell me about this bike by way of ownership or insight. It looks like a great low cc commuter ride.
    jtomelliott49 and Elvesus like this.

Thinking about a BMW G310R or G310GS? Compared to a TW, They are fast!!

I think everyone should have a scooter. If you want a scooter, you should get one that's faster than a Yamaha TW200. I think that most scooters are faster than a TW. Scooters are fun! Just get a scooter!

Do you want fancy stuff on your scooter? These are cool !! Nearest dealer too far away though

I bought one of these because it was a Yamaha and has ABS, TC, Keyless Ignition and fits 2 full face helmets fit under the seat. 85mph and 85mpg!
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 106k miles
    2013-TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 5k- miles

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I always like when a rider takes pride in his/her machine. I do not see myself on a scooter. I do like the size and function of the g 310. I was hoping one of yous guys bought one or rode one. Thanks

Please note that I have no use for the G 310. I just want one. I usually personalize a bike into the next century. The G 310 says just throw a set of side bags on and a tank bag and get going. The taillight assembly on it has to go and I would probably get a matching set of front directional...Just a peeve. I hate plastic lights on a street bike. I also send every factory seat I keep to Spencer for a tune up....(even my TW seat...the guy is a wizard.). I also put Alaskan Leather on every road bike. I would also put a set of mirror extenders on it. Other than that...I want one. I hope one of yous guys already has one or at least ridden one. Yes...I read the Revzilla review which kicks ass. Great review. I just want to speak to a guy/girl who has ridden one. A "man in the street" report.
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 05-06-2019 at 04:57 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My son would dis-own me if I bought a scooter. I know they go - LT showed me that when I last visited him.
    I'll stick with my Motorcycle fleet for now.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

One of my friends bought a G310GS, I took it for a short test drive. I wasn't expecting a whole ton, and it pretty much delivered. I'll say the engine maybe had a little more zip than I was expecting, and pulled up to 80 indicated fairly easily with some room to go (he says it'll peg out at low 90's indicated, I didn't try). It keeps up for highway traffic OK, provided you don't want to hang out in the left lane in the Southwest. However, the engine is buzzy in the upper half of the rev range- pretty common for thumpers. Everything else about the bike was competent, but forgettable. Didn't really do anything wrong, nothing really blew me away either. Transmission was a little notchy and in a 15 minute drive I found a few false neutrals- something I've seen noted in several other reviews. About 2 weeks in it started leaking coolant (loose hose clamp, dealer fixed on the spot), and shortly thereafter, oil (bad gasket on the valve cover somewhere, dealer fixed but had the bike a week). Problems like that when the bike still had <1500 miles don't really inspire confidence down the road.

Personally, I'd have a Versys 300 if you want a small bore runabout. It's twin engine is much smoother, the bike is physically larger/more comfortable, and you know it'll be typically Kawi bulletproof reliable. Kawi's Z400 is also a bargain for what you're getting. Wait a bit and the Versys 300 will almost surely become the Versys 400 as well.

I also know someone with a Yamaha Xmax 300. What a nice ride. s-m-o-o-t-h. It almost feels electric. Zero vibration. Ultra quiet. Perfect fueling. The CVT is flawless and the engine is torquey right off the bat. Surprisingly grunty- you can make the TC kick in hitting the throttle hard off a corner. Obviously it runs away from my TW like it's on bricks. The engine definitely punches above it's displacement class. If I needed a commuter, the Xmax would probably top the list.

Latest video from BMW of G310GS
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 106k miles
    2013-TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 5k- miles

We did an Alley Cat Scramble ride in Austin this past weekend, and I met a guy on a new BMW310gs, and he had nothing but good things to say about it. They look great, and are apparently a pretty great small adv bike. They're way cheaper than I was thinking too—especially compared to BMWs other GS models. These are built cheaper (I believe in India?), but BMW does have some pretty strict approvals and checks to ensure quality.

Anywho, it's quite a different beast than the TW (certainly faster - 2s HP), but I imagine it'll be a great purchase choice.

I have a 2018 BMW g310 GS. I am currently in the process of building it specifically to travel the Trans American Trail. I've traveled nearly 3,000 trail miles on the TW. While the TW is nearly perfect for the trail, i am now at the more extreme Western side of the trail and since I have to do in stages, it is the humping asphalt back to the trailer that I struggle on the TW with.
    Bike so far is set up with SW mototech SYS luggage, machineart moto hand guards, LED running and tail lights, , Rally Raid wind screen, rear RotoPak rack. Wired for GPS, USB charging, and some of those stupid BMW charge ports for heated clothing and such. Currently on order are Rally Raid wire rims & skid plate. Considering suspension upgrades in the future.
    Now for all my awesome forum members who think I am stupid for spending this kind of ridiculous money on this conversion, you are correct, and i have no argument other than this is what I want!
    In regards to the bike performance. I have done approximately 600 miles of the TAT's more extreme Tennessee route with no troubles at all. The bike does have some first generation quirks, clutch seems very touchy, thru multiple adjustments I believe I have it set as good as it is going to get and expect very little issues going forward. transmission was a bit notchy when newer, virtually no issue after break in. Had to wire around the kick stand switch, as this will more than likely be torn off once you really start to have off road fun.
    I realize this bike is not for everyone. I happen to have 6 registered, insured, and ridden bikes in my current garage. I can handle virtually any segment of the hobby from small displacement TW, to scrambler in town riding, to huligan style power cruiser, to long distance full dress cruiser. All I know is at this point i have absolutely zero buyer remorse with the bike or even the ridiculous amount of money on the farkles. This bike is FUN!
    TW-Brian, Sthrnromr, jbfla and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly b View Post
    I have a 2018 BMW g310 GS. I am currently in the process of building it specifically to travel the Trans American Trail. I've traveled nearly 3,000 trail miles on the TW. While the TW is nearly perfect for the trail, i am now at the more extreme Western side of the trail and since I have to do in stages, it is the humping asphalt back to the trailer that I struggle on the TW with.
    Bike so far is set up with SW mototech SYS luggage, machineart moto hand guards, LED running and tail lights, , Rally Raid wind screen, rear RotoPak rack. Wired for GPS, USB charging, and some of those stupid BMW charge ports for heated clothing and such. Currently on order are Rally Raid wire rims & skid plate. Considering suspension upgrades in the future.
    Now for all my awesome forum members who think I am stupid for spending this kind of ridiculous money on this conversion, you are correct, and i have no argument other than this is what I want!
    In regards to the bike performance. I have done approximately 600 miles of the TAT's more extreme Tennessee route with no troubles at all. The bike does have some first generation quirks, clutch seems very touchy, thru multiple adjustments I believe I have it set as good as it is going to get and expect very little issues going forward. transmission was a bit notchy when newer, virtually no issue after break in. Had to wire around the kick stand switch, as this will more than likely be torn off once you really start to have off road fun.
    I realize this bike is not for everyone. I happen to have 6 registered, insured, and ridden bikes in my current garage. I can handle virtually any segment of the hobby from small displacement TW, to scrambler in town riding, to huligan style power cruiser, to long distance full dress cruiser. All I know is at this point i have absolutely zero buyer remorse with the bike or even the ridiculous amount of money on the farkles. This bike is FUN!
    Let's see some pics of this bike!

The G310 is not a scooter, its just a small engine bike. A friend of mine has one and she is more than happy with it. I saw her with it last summer at our camp out. It also comes in a GS model, which has a taller suspension.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2005 Tdub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links