Batteries
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

Hi firstly, I have already written a post for this but it possibly is still out there somewhere in web space
    ok , right
    I e - mailed yuasa uk yesterday regarding poss upgrade of original spec wet cell battery to sealed unit or agm for tw and also
    said that this was a major issue with many riders who do trail riding because a fall can result in electrolyte being lost and potentially putting rider at risk when bike won’t start due to battery burnt out from lack of fld.
    i mentioned that the tw forum which is USA based has a big following and this subject is a big talking point as many members use alternative type sealed batteries mostly don’t fit battery tray properly or term orientation is adrift resulting in packing out battery tray and different terms , and that the bike has been produced from 1987 to present day and still going so should be considered.
    i was a bit deflated at their generic reply , that due to lack of popularity and age it’s unlikely due to tooling costs it probably would not be cost efficient ! (Well what an easy , cant be bothered to ask product reply )
    i wonder how many tw owners would fit this option if available? or would they just continue as now and pack out battery etc
    i also said that no one else does a sealed unit of correct size and output power so yuasa is missing a trick ?
    my hope is that someone might see this , and think why have we not thought of that ,yeah there is a market out there for this bike
    if it works great if not we’ll nothing lost

“ god loves a trier “
    Peterb and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Yuasa isn't missing this trick at all:

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...ery-yuasa.html

I can't imagine using an unsealed lead acid in a dirt bike. I swapped out the OEM for an AGM before I left the showroom on all three TW's.
    Smitty Blackstone and jbfla like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Lithium. Do it once. Done.
    Smitty Blackstone, Fred and Donzo like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Lithium. LiFePo. Battery Tender batteries. I have many of them. No issues. Zero.
    Buy once.
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnromr View Post
    Lithium. Do it once. Done.
    I have looked at lithium batteries for this bike , so far I can purchase a lithium type battery cheaper than the equivalent in Agm
    the issue now is that I have just recently renewed my optimate battery charger as I have a couple of bikes and one is a sealed version, so trickle charger ok for both bikes if I get lithium I need another charger , so say another £40 , so will take battery and charger to over £100 ( British pounds ) , yeah ok initial outlay of units is always more at first, I will wait until tw oem battery is totally shot before renewal either way I go, blimey that little battery is more in money than oem here in England

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    If you buy a new Battery Tender battery, just buy a battery tender charger for 16 dollars from Amazon. Not sure how that relates to the Queen's Currency, but if you go lithium and charger now, as you cycle out the other batteries, you have the charger.

There are lithium batteries here (not just Battery Tender Lithiums, I'm always checking out new stuff) that are 8yrs old or more.

If you have a LiFePo battery why do you think you need a battery charger? As long as there is no parasitic draw the battery should hold a charge for many a year.
    reddave likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    If you have a LiFePo battery why do you think you need a battery charger? As long as there is no parasitic draw the battery should hold a charge for many a year.
    Really, no discharge at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yeah ok I get that ! Fair comment what make model no lithium battery you have and what mods do you have to do for fitment

The self-discharge rate and longevity of LiFePo batteries is about an order of magnitude better than older lithium-ion batteries. While one can hear conservative advice ranging from removing battery from equipment after each use to simply checking voltage annually for LiFePo in storage I have found just running my LiFePo battery equipped TWs every couple of months seems more than adequate. Since self-discharge rate is so low as well as the voltage drop under load, plus the charge rate is about 6 times greater than wet cell lead acid batteries the stored bikes spin over quickly and supposedly re-charge after only a brief ride.

EDIT: I have both the Shorie and Battery Tender LiFePo batteries listed as applicable for the TW200. Both came with high density closed cell foam blocks sufficient to fill the space created by installation of much more compact and lightweight LiFePo units.
    While the initial expense is greater the peace of mind knowing your starter motor will spin longer and stronger has value, especially if your bike does not have a back-up kick starter.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-08-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links