Best year? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Best year?

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Gee Gary... I can do almost 70 before shifting into 5th. And I only shut it down because I saw a new donut shop in town and had to pull over and try one of their fresh hot glazed.

YUP! Just remember LT, when you come across the border from Canada you better stop at the nearest service station and change the air in your tires to the PSI stuff.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I mean, I don't think any of them are "fast," and any difference in speed by year is going to be minimal. Low miles and taken care of is all that really matters. I really liked the 2018/2019 designs (and my friend works at Yamaha with the design of those years graphics), so I went that direction. Just get one and have fun

My God! I never knew! Such speed!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here is my '87 TW, aka T-1, 14/55 sprockets, 68mm Wiseco piston but otherwise all stock, 9360rpm and just over 65 mph.
    9361.jpg

Here is my other '87 TW, aka T-2, 14/50 sprockets, 70mm Wiseco piston, #110 high speed jet. 8820 on the tach and just a hair over 70 mph.

8820rpm.jpg
    littletommy, Darth, GaryL and 2 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I would love to have seen a comparison of T-1 and T-2 doing the same speed test before you made the piston, jet and sprocket changes. Bone stock and running good I had one TW that did hit 70 MPH on the speedo but on the GPS that 70 was registering as 66 MPH over the ground. On my last leg coming home there is a long flat straight just before a nice down grade before my street. I could hit 65 on the flat and just touch 70 heading down the hill before my house before slowing down. I don't know how much further I could have wound it out but I do suspect with a little longer down hill I might have been able to hit an honest 70 MPH on the GPS which would probably be reading around 75 on the speedo.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Here is T-2 at 9000 rpm with the speedo between 70 and 75. This was with a #112 jet. These speed runs are very slightly uphill -- I would call it flat except I am going against the flow of rain water.

I had to brighten the picture a lot to see the gauges.
    9000arpm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Here is T-2 at 9000 rpm with the speedo between 70 and 75. This was with a #112 jet. These speed runs are very slightly uphill -- I would call it flat except I am going against the flow of rain water.

I had to brighten the picture a lot to see the gauges.
    9000arpm.jpg
    Nice elime, I guess those Wiseco pistons do add some pep once you get the carb and gearing set right. When you go to the 70MM piston how many additional CCs does this add to the engine and how much more compression? I would suspect you are close to a 225 at this point.

GaryL

The only time my TW's are "Fast"...
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Nice elime, I guess those Wiseco pistons do add some pep once you get the carb and gearing set right. When you go to the 70MM piston how many additional CCs does this add to the engine and how much more compression? I would suspect you are close to a 225 at this point.

GaryL

The displacement goes up to 214cc and the compression ratio jumps to 9.9:1. The box will say 10.25:1 but that is for a 58mm stroke. The TW has a 55.7mm stroke hence the lower ratio. I would guess a 10% to 15% gain in performance. Not Earth shattering but fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    The displacement goes up to 214cc and the compression ratio jumps to 9.9:1. The box will say 10.25:1 but that is for a 58mm stroke. The TW has a 55.7mm stroke hence the lower ratio. I would guess a 10% to 15% gain in performance. Not Earth shattering but fun to play with.
    Is the 70 MM piston about as far as you can bore the jug out and is the compression at close to the limits the head can take?

Gary
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links