Best year? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Best year?

I've gotten my 2019 TW to about 73mph ... granted I am a smaller guy (5'5" @ 135lbs). It took a little while though, but I also feel like I could probably get it even higher under the right conditions.
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    1973 Yamaha RD350

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Is the 70 MM piston about as far as you can bore the jug out and is the compression at close to the limits the head can take?

Gary
    That is about the limit for a stock cylinder. If you want to go bigger you will have to bore the case out to accept a larger cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    I've gotten my 2019 TW to about 73mph ... granted I am a smaller guy (5'5" @ 135lbs). It took a little while though, but I also feel like I could probably get it even higher under the right conditions.
    Some days are better than others. Given the temperature, the humidity, and what ever else it all makes a difference. Weighing 135 lbs and a brand new bike no doubt helps big time.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Plus one on the '87 being the fastest TW ever built....even without the Wiseco piston upgrade.....but then, I'm FOS.
    GaryL, elime, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

GOF
    1987 is the BEST year!
    The rest of ya is just copying the cat.
    elime, Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I am partial to the 1988 Black Widow and the 1991 Black Onyx color schemes but the 1994 & 1995 Rainbow warriors are pretty. I also like the 2006 and the 2014 Blues and so far am still undecided on the silver or black wheels. Some of us act like 17 year old girls with all this color matching garbage but under the dress they are all pretty much from the same genes. Which year is the fastest is a non issue because fast and TW should never be in the same sentence. I had one do 100 MPH once, it was behind my truck on a trailer but right around 70 MPH is where they all top out and only if you are going down hill with a tail wind and light load.

GaryL
    You summed it up pretty good. Also something to consider, maybe a high mileage ridden often if used mostly on road and garage kept. i say that because mine at 45,000 miles + is in great shape. I am basing this on the micrometer measurements of cylinder and bore still in spec, I checked it when I had to do a valve job. I left the original piston and ring in and put it back together, that was around 40,000 miles or so. This is the bike I have had the longest and i have put the least amount of money in it. Mine is a 1996 so maybe that is the best year or I use the best oil or maybe Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas works or, it could just be a mystery.
    Smitty Blackstone, Darth and GaryL like this.

One more for the road. Maybe a hair over 75.

3.jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Nice elime. I think with a more pavement oriented front tire and more road friendly gearing 75 is not that difficult. I still have to wonder what the speedo offset is up in those ranges if compared with a real speed displayed from a GPS unit.
    As for the high mile bikes I could agree with Ken but you really need to find one like that that was well cared for and meticulously maintained with regular oil changes and little to no abuse. I would not be turned away from a high mile bike that was adult owned, garage kept and a daily driver in a town or city setting. Bikes like that with that many miles would likely be found in a southern inland metro area where it could be used year around which is great for them and probably not ridden on freeways for extended runs or seen much off road use. My first 1991 TW was such a bike and only ever ridden by a 71 year old guy around his town and at his camp ground and always dealer serviced every 500 miles.

GaryL
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links