Best year?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Best year?

Best year?

I remain hopeful about acquiring (soon) my latest TW....but I'm curious about something. I keep seeing a lot of older bikes on CL and Kijiji....and by "older" I mean in the 90's and 00's....so is there a "best year" for this model?

67 Mustang....70 Challenger...55 Vette Roadster...which is the "vintage" year for the TW?

I know there are small changes at some point in time...2000 was the last year of the front drum-brake...another model year (can't remember which) was tough on CDI's....any other changes thru the years?

I instinctively pull back when I see ads for anything under 2001...am I just being silly?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Visit my Blog...Hidden Content or my YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    1994. They are the fastest and best looking.

87's The First and Fastest TW ever made.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The best year of TW is whatever one that you want and can afford to own !

Find a really cheap one with low miles and don't even consider the year.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

The best year for a TW is the year you get one. If you are anything like so many of us here it could also be the worst year for you wallet when you start doing all the upgrades and farkles.

Some like the pre 2001 models that came with drum brakes and the kick start & electric. Others like the post 2000 ones that have front disc and no kick start. Those who own the 1987, first year models always say they are the fastest but I say they are FOS.
    Some of the years in the mid 1990s had an inherent leaking base gasket which is pretty easy to see so do your inspection and if you find a leaker negotiate accordingly. It should not be that costly to get the new and redesigned base gasket professionally installed and can be done yourself with instructions found here. In all honesty any TW that has been well cared for, not abused or molested and has low miles while being kept out of the weather is a great choice. The ones parked for years out behind the barn are great candidates to avoid unless you can get them as parts only donors and at very low prices.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    1994. They are the fastest and best looking.
    I am partial to the 1988 Black Widow and the 1991 Black Onyx color schemes but the 1994 & 1995 Rainbow warriors are pretty. I also like the 2006 and the 2014 Blues and so far am still undecided on the silver or black wheels. Some of us act like 17 year old girls with all this color matching garbage but under the dress they are all pretty much from the same genes. Which year is the fastest is a non issue because fast and TW should never be in the same sentence. I had one do 100 MPH once, it was behind my truck on a trailer but right around 70 MPH is where they all top out and only if you are going down hill with a tail wind and light load.

GaryL
    littletommy, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

As the owner of a 1999 and a 2012, I can say the brakes are only marginally better with a disc...and the 99 has kick and electric start so I like it better.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I forgot about the Black Widow colors.... Nice.

And of course, Gary is correct. None are appreciably faster than others.

And I agree about the disk brake not being better than the drum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Gee Gary... I can do almost 70 before shifting into 5th. And I only shut it down because I saw a new donut shop in town and had to pull over and try one of their fresh hot glazed.

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links