FMF Exhaust
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By RaZed1
  • 2 Post By Sbungo
  • 1 Post By RaZed1

Thread: FMF Exhaust

FMF Exhaust

So I went ahead and put a FMF exhaust on. I wasn’t anticipating any power gains but I may have picked up a little bottom end throttle response. Negligible improvement but truthfully I wasn’t expecting anything.
    Sounds great (IMO) though and no audible signs (popping on deceleration) of it running lean. I’ll check the plug after a few more rides. Carb is stock with the exception of the screw adjustment backed out to ~ 2.5 / 3 turns from fully closed. Was thinking of increasing the main jet but not sure if it is needed. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt though based on many other threads that been posted here on increasing the main to a 128 / 130.
    Any thoughts? Suggestions?

130 seems to be the popular choice. Is it strictly necessary, not really. But it will help the engine run a bit cooler, and the top end will pull a bit stronger. I've run 128,130, 132, and 135 on TWs in various setups. Stock with a slip-on I'd probably go 130.

Keihin jets are interchangeable/use the same numbering scale as Teikei jets. They're just a lot more common/accessible/cheaper. Mikuni and Dynojet numbers do NOT compare(different scales).
    Last edited by RaZed1; 05-15-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    tylermoney, Donzo and Purple like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZed1 View Post
    130 seems to be the popular choice. Is it strictly necessary, not really. But it will help the engine run a bit cooler, and the top end will pull a bit stronger. I've run 128,130, 132, and 135 on TWs in various setups. Stock with a slip-on I'd probably go 130.

Keihin jets are interchangeable/use the same numbering scale as Teikei jets. They're just a lot more common/accessible/cheaper. Mikuni and Dynojet numbers do NOT compare(different scales).
    RaZed1 What aftermarket slip-on pipe do you currently have on your setup? I know you've got quite a few other upgrades that make the stock w/ slip-on not quite comparable, but I am trying to decide between the FMF and the DG—I prefer the DG for looks, and DG is what I have for my RD350, and they always sounded quite awesome.

Regardless, I've got a jet kit coming from ProCycle that should be here later this week, and I'll be trying the 130 up from stock based on your recommendation. I'd kind of like to see how that goes prior to purchasing an updated exhaust.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    1973 Yamaha RD350

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sbungo View Post
    So I went ahead and put a FMF exhaust on. I wasn’t anticipating any power gains but I may have picked up a little bottom end throttle response. Negligible improvement but truthfully I wasn’t expecting anything.
    Sounds great (IMO) though and no audible signs (popping on deceleration) of it running lean. I’ll check the plug after a few more rides. Carb is stock with the exception of the screw adjustment backed out to ~ 2.5 / 3 turns from fully closed. Was thinking of increasing the main jet but not sure if it is needed. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt though based on many other threads that been posted here on increasing the main to a 128 / 130.
    Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    Sbungo, is there a specific reason you went with the FMF vs. DG?
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    1973 Yamaha RD350

I went with FMF for a few reasons.
    1) I personally like the look better than the DG. Both look good but of course everyone has a preference.
    2) Many years of having 2 stroke motocross bikes and I always put FMF on. They always held up well and performed well.
    3) I listened and watched a few online video clips and the FMF sounded a little bit more along the lines of what I was hoping for.

IMO, both are probably great exhausts but the decision to go with FMF are for the above reasons. And I will tell you it sounds better than I anticipated. Very deep tone but not obnoxiously loud.
    Purple and tylermoney like this.

My first TW I ran the DG oval slip on, my current one came to me already with the FMF slip on and the XT225 headpipe (identical to the TW one, just shiny instead of black to match the rest of the exhaust).

Six on one hand, half dozen the other. Both fit perfectly, both well made and high quality, both sound to my ear pretty much the same. If I had to make a call the DG was maybe a touch louder/"brappier", but honestly without comparing them side by side who knows. Any difference in performance is completely negligible. Neither one I thought was obnoxiously loud.

The DG one seems to sell for about $30 less, other than that just get whichever you like the look of better.
    tylermoney likes this.

Sponosred Links