TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

One helmet

7K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Denn 
#1 ·
I need to get a helmet for riding. Probably a lot of you guys have more than one depending upon if you are street riding or trail or whatever. The number of choices as to type is a bit daunting to me. Full face, modular, open face 3/4, dual sport and etc. If you had to get one helmet TYPE for all your riding what would it be ? I am thinking my riding will be about 80% trails and back roads. I wont be doing racing of any sort. haha. I've been doing a lot of looking and research online, just wondering what the TW crowd thinks.

#2 ·
I got a istorm helmet since 95% of my riding is off-pavement. It's ventilated and very lightweight compared to other helmets. It's also DOT approved. Light weight and ventilation were what I needed for my type of riding. I have kept an older duelsport full-face helmet for my occassional fowray in cold weather riding but that haven't actually used it in over a year.

It's inexpensive as well. https://www.amazon.com/1Storm-Motoc...ocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-603043168691&psc=1

Me wearing it

#8 · (Edited)
What is the bill on mx and dual sport helmets for ? Like the bill on a ball cap as a sun shade/block ?

If most of your riding is off road get a light weight, full face helmet with lots of venting. I got a new one this year - RIOTX. It may not be available in the USA as it does not have the DOT rating but meets EU and Commonwealth country standards for road use.
I looked online and couldn't find this one. It would have to meet DOT regs to be legal here.

I have a Klim TK1200

I wanted a do it all type of helmet.

My reasons for going with the TK1200:

- modular
- good fit for "long oval" headshape.
- good field of view. I have a set of small goggles I can use with the visor open.
- very light weight for a modular as it's made from carbon fiber.
- transitions face shield so no need for sunglasses or internal drop down.
- pinlock included. I haven't installed it yet as opening the visor to it's first position mitigates fog.
- came in solid white. I ended up with matte white since it was $200 cheaper.
- quick release chin strap
- ECE 22-05 certified. DOT rating doesn't mean much. Snell rating would suffice too, but impossible with modular.

View attachment 193434
That is a beautiful helmet and has some great features. Unfortunately as with a lot of helmets it and the carbon fiber are out of my budget.

I have a few different helmets for my different riding types. Street, 2up, dirt, mix/dual, etc. Anyhow, this is my all around go to for a good mix of both with manners and protection.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/en/mx-9-adventure-mips/p/7092724

If I had to have "one" helmet, this would be it. Highly recommended. My suggestion is also to go somewhere that sells helmets and try them on. Fit is VERY important.
That is one that is already on my short list. Do you have this one ?

I got the below helmet a little over a year ago. Like it a lot. Great wind protection even at 55+ with face shield down and venting is good - I keep shield up in dirt, down on road.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/fly-racing-trekker-helmet

I've seen that one as well and haven't ruled it out either. Is the bill easy to get off ?

Fit and safety are everything, street or dirt.
And I'm like a lot of riders and have a bunch of helmets and gear.
But if I had to only use one helmet it would be an Arai XD3/4.

There are many reasons but it works for most types of riding and weather. You don't like the visor or are going to be mostly on road? Take it off and it still works great!

The good thing is you have a lot of choices as you already know.

Those Arai 's are great looking helmets as well and seem to have a very good reputation. But it won't happen unless Santa comes early and is very generous this year. haha .

There seems to be a general consensus so far that you all espouse a full face or modular type with lower jaw protection whether it is for offroad or not. Do you have good visability enclosed like that? I want to be able to enjoy the scenery somemwhat, at least when riding off the main roads.

#3 ·
If most of your riding is off road get a light weight, full face helmet with lots of venting. I got a new one this year - RIOTX. It may not be available in the USA as it does not have the DOT rating but meets EU and Commonwealth country standards for road use.

#4 ·
I have a Klim TK1200

I wanted a do it all type of helmet.

My reasons for going with the TK1200:

- modular
- good fit for "long oval" headshape.
- good field of view. I have a set of small goggles I can use with the visor open.
- very light weight for a modular as it's made from carbon fiber.
- transitions face shield so no need for sunglasses or internal drop down.
- pinlock included. I haven't installed it yet as opening the visor to it's first position mitigates fog.
- came in solid white. I ended up with matte white since it was $200 cheaper.
- quick release chin strap
- ECE 22-05 certified. DOT rating doesn't mean much. Snell rating would suffice too, but impossible with modular.

#5 ·
I have a few different helmets for my different riding types. Street, 2up, dirt, mix/dual, etc. Anyhow, this is my all around go to for a good mix of both with manners and protection.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/en/mx-9-adventure-mips/p/7092724

If I had to have "one" helmet, this would be it. Highly recommended. My suggestion is also to go somewhere that sells helmets and try them on. Fit is VERY important.

#7 ·
Fit and safety are everything, street or dirt.
And I'm like a lot of riders and have a bunch of helmets and gear.
But if I had to only use one helmet it would be an Arai XD3/4.

There are many reasons but it works for most types of riding and weather. You don't like the visor or are going to be mostly on road? Take it off and it still works great!

The good thing is you have a lot of choices as you already know.

#16 ·
#11 ·
I have a Voss Dually 600 dual sport helmet and find that the bill/peak/whatever-you-call-it provides shade and reduces glare when I'm riding into the sun. Like Donzo, I ride with the visor down for street riding and up when I'm off-road. For dusty conditions it's easy to put on goggles (like in Admiral's pic). The Voss helmet is a decent cheaper helmet that I've been happy with. That said, I am considering upgrading to a Bell MX9 Adventure or similar for my next helmet.

#14 ·
The duckbill was added to MX helmets to act as a mud guard. If the guy in front of you roosts; dip your head and deflect the mud. I like it as Elvesus said to reduce glare when riding into the Sun. I also have had the Voss helmet, but like all dual sport helmets found it too warm for off road riding.

There is no helmet that does it all just like there is not one bike that does it all.

#15 ·
To answer the question from Vektor. The bill is easy to get off the Fly helmet - haven't done it - but very straight forward. So many good helmets out there. Go to a large motorcycle store that carries dirt bikes and try some on. I went to one that had 7 different types and more models. They sold dirt bikes, quads, side by sides and street dikes

#17 ·
Trojan ENZ. The one helmet to rule them all. Protection... and ribbed, for her pleasure.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone
#19 ·
Well, website doesn't post.

Almost 1/2 of wrecks involve faces. Full face required.

Fit must be perfect. Recommend trying helmets at cheap places like Walmart, Tractor Supply, other places selling off brand ATVs and minibikes. Try different styles, try to get new ones on sale, $50-75. Try different kinds. Soon you'll know what YOU prefer. Plenty of motorcycles don't go anywhere because $700 helmet does not work. As seasons change, you'll often have what you need.

SNELL is for young competitors going high speeds. NOT SNELL but DOT generally much better for TW speeds,

#23 ·
When I bought my current bike I looked at helmets. I also talked to a lot of knowledgeable people. I found two that I liked and were highly thought of; Bell MX-9 and HJC DS-X1. I wanted an "Adventure" style helmet because I ride a mix of on and off road. The last thing you want on the roads is to wear goggles which restrict your peripheral vision. I wanted it to have a duck bill and a face shield that could be used open or closed. One thing I learned is that a decent helmet these days is better than any helmet 10 years ago.

Neither one of the helmets I liked were what I would call Expensive given anything you buy from Shoei or Aray is going to be $500 and up. I ended up with the HJC mostly because I found one that fit. If you are riding in the TT race at Isle of Man, you might have a different idea on what makes a great helmet. I am not interested in shelling out $700 and up to have carbon fiber for the same reason I am riding a TW200 and not a KTM 1290R

I like putting the face shield down when it is cold or drizzling. Otherwise, I just wear sunglasses or prescription glasses with the shield open.

#25 ·
This old Bell ad slogan from the 70s has much wisdom...!

#28 ·
Anybody have experience with an LS2 Metro V3? I was about to place an order the other day and this thread started....

#29 ·
I use the Scorpion EXO-AT950. I'd imagine a regular full face helmet would make it feel like a medicine ball by comparison, and I don't even use the feature that much, but the modular mechanism is worth its weight to me. I like the flip-down sun visor, but I'd like a tinted or mirrored face shield as well. I figure I'm gonna get a strange sunburn otherwise. You can get Pinlock-ready shields as well but I'm not sure if they come tinted or mirrored. Plus the Pinlock insert itself cost extra. I haven't had much trouble with fogging but I've mostly been riding in good weather since I got it. I'd probably try their cold weather chin curtain and breath box first. Heck you can get an electric snowmobile type face shield for the thing.

#30 ·
The Bell MX9 Adventure is a great all around helmet that has an off-road/adventure mode, and street mode. It has the peak-visor for adventure/daul-sport riding, but can be very easily removed for road riding. The shield can also be removed very easily for use with goggles (though you can use the goggles with the shield on as well). There are also several shield options you can buy. So your clear, black, etc.

It also comes with MIPS technology for extra protection for ze brain. They're also fairly reasonable as far as price is concerned.

I got one of these for a similar reason to you. I didn't really want to have to have several different helmets just for me. Good luck!

Reactions: Sthrnromr
#32 ·
Well I was comparing the LS2 Metro V3 against the Scorpion EXO-AT950....then I found the LS2 new with tags on Ebay for just $125 shipped - so I jumped on it.

#33 ·
Helmets are a real pain to me. I had to order a 6x so I would be able to be in comfort. A few years ago I bought the biggest on on the shelf. By the time I had 90 mi with it I had to pull over, cut out the padding in the forehead area to make it less painful. I have several helmets around here and find the open face to be more comfortable. Having my nose and chin against the front of the helmet is not the way to go.

#34 ·
Plumb -
That must be a helluva melon you're packing there, my friend!

Reactions: plumbstraight
#35 ·
If you wear glasses, modular helmets are a blessing. I’ve dropped my glasses afore, putting on helmet with standard Full Face. Not funny when your vision is poor n tend to ride solo. Fit is #1 I’ve also learned that if you can keep stinging insects away from face it will aid your riding skills and enhance the ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.