One helmet
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: One helmet

One helmet

I need to get a helmet for riding. Probably a lot of you guys have more than one depending upon if you are street riding or trail or whatever. The number of choices as to type is a bit daunting to me. Full face, modular, open face 3/4, dual sport and etc. If you had to get one helmet TYPE for all your riding what would it be ? I am thinking my riding will be about 80% trails and back roads. I wont be doing racing of any sort. haha. I've been doing a lot of looking and research online, just wondering what the TW crowd thinks.

I got a istorm helmet since 95% of my riding is off-pavement. It's ventilated and very lightweight compared to other helmets. It's also DOT approved. Light weight and ventilation were what I needed for my type of riding. I have kept an older duelsport full-face helmet for my occassional fowray in cold weather riding but that haven't actually used it in over a year.

It's inexpensive as well. https://www.amazon.com/1Storm-Motocr...43168691&psc=1

Me wearing it
    ejfranz, Elvesus, Ken and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

If most of your riding is off road get a light weight, full face helmet with lots of venting. I got a new one this year - RIOTX. It may not be available in the USA as it does not have the DOT rating but meets EU and Commonwealth country standards for road use.
    admiral, Elvesus, OldMan and 1 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a Klim TK1200

I wanted a do it all type of helmet.

My reasons for going with the TK1200:

- modular
    - good fit for "long oval" headshape.
    - good field of view. I have a set of small goggles I can use with the visor open.
    - very light weight for a modular as it's made from carbon fiber.
    - transitions face shield so no need for sunglasses or internal drop down.
    - pinlock included. I haven't installed it yet as opening the visor to it's first position mitigates fog.
    - came in solid white. I ended up with matte white since it was $200 cheaper.
    - quick release chin strap
    - ECE 22-05 certified. DOT rating doesn't mean much. Snell rating would suffice too, but impossible with modular.

TK1200.jpg
    Husqvarna 6440 - she may be old, but she still runs like a sewing machine.
    2006 TW200

I have a few different helmets for my different riding types. Street, 2up, dirt, mix/dual, etc. Anyhow, this is my all around go to for a good mix of both with manners and protection.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/en/mx-9-...mips/p/7092724

If I had to have "one" helmet, this would be it. Highly recommended. My suggestion is also to go somewhere that sells helmets and try them on. Fit is VERY important.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

I got the below helmet a little over a year ago. Like it a lot. Great wind protection even at 55+ with face shield down and venting is good - I keep shield up in dirt, down on road.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/fly-r...trekker-helmet

Fit and safety are everything, street or dirt.
    And I'm like a lot of riders and have a bunch of helmets and gear.
    But if I had to only use one helmet it would be an Arai XD3/4.

There are many reasons but it works for most types of riding and weather. You don't like the visor or are going to be mostly on road? Take it off and it still works great!

The good thing is you have a lot of choices as you already know.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I got a istorm helmet since 95% of my riding is off-pavement. It's ventilated and very lightweight compared to other helmets. It's also DOT approved. Light weight and ventilation were what I needed for my type of riding. I have kept an older duelsport full-face helmet for my occassional fowray in cold weather riding but that haven't actually used it in over a year.

It's inexpensive as well. https://www.amazon.com/1Storm-Motocr...43168691&psc=1

Me wearing it

What is the bill on mx and dual sport helmets for ? Like the bill on a ball cap as a sun shade/block ?

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    If most of your riding is off road get a light weight, full face helmet with lots of venting. I got a new one this year - RIOTX. It may not be available in the USA as it does not have the DOT rating but meets EU and Commonwealth country standards for road use.
    I looked online and couldn't find this one. It would have to meet DOT regs to be legal here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    I have a Klim TK1200

I wanted a do it all type of helmet.

My reasons for going with the TK1200:

- modular
    - good fit for "long oval" headshape.
    - good field of view. I have a set of small goggles I can use with the visor open.
    - very light weight for a modular as it's made from carbon fiber.
    - transitions face shield so no need for sunglasses or internal drop down.
    - pinlock included. I haven't installed it yet as opening the visor to it's first position mitigates fog.
    - came in solid white. I ended up with matte white since it was $200 cheaper.
    - quick release chin strap
    - ECE 22-05 certified. DOT rating doesn't mean much. Snell rating would suffice too, but impossible with modular.

TK1200.jpg
    That is a beautiful helmet and has some great features. Unfortunately as with a lot of helmets it and the carbon fiber are out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnromr View Post
    I have a few different helmets for my different riding types. Street, 2up, dirt, mix/dual, etc. Anyhow, this is my all around go to for a good mix of both with manners and protection.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/en/mx-9-...mips/p/7092724

If I had to have "one" helmet, this would be it. Highly recommended. My suggestion is also to go somewhere that sells helmets and try them on. Fit is VERY important.
    That is one that is already on my short list. Do you have this one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    I got the below helmet a little over a year ago. Like it a lot. Great wind protection even at 55+ with face shield down and venting is good - I keep shield up in dirt, down on road.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/fly-r...trekker-helmet

I've seen that one as well and haven't ruled it out either. Is the bill easy to get off ?

Quote Originally Posted by socalnative View Post
    Fit and safety are everything, street or dirt.
    And I'm like a lot of riders and have a bunch of helmets and gear.
    But if I had to only use one helmet it would be an Arai XD3/4.

There are many reasons but it works for most types of riding and weather. You don't like the visor or are going to be mostly on road? Take it off and it still works great!

The good thing is you have a lot of choices as you already know.

Those Arai 's are great looking helmets as well and seem to have a very good reputation. But it won't happen unless Santa comes early and is very generous this year. haha .

There seems to be a general consensus so far that you all espouse a full face or modular type with lower jaw protection whether it is for offroad or not. Do you have good visability enclosed like that? I want to be able to enjoy the scenery somemwhat, at least when riding off the main roads.
    Last edited by OldMan; 05-18-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    That is one that is already on my short list. Do you have this one ?
    Yes, I do. That is my go to all-arounder and unless I am riding interstate on my street orientated bikes, that is the helmet I wear most often and almost always when on the TW.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

I consult SHARP ratings https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ in order to choose a helmet.
    But unfortunately they don't test all new helmets.
    Last edited by YamTW87; 05-18-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links