SoCal to Seattle: 1200 miles at 55mph with stock gearing?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SoCal to Seattle: 1200 miles at 55mph with stock gearing?

I am moving from Southern California to Seattle and am shipping all my stuff via USPS and then driving my TW200 1200 miles to Seattle (roughly 400 miles per day; making two overnight sleep stops). My TW200 still has the low stock gearing. I don't think I will have time to resprocket it before I leave. I am taking the scenic route rather than the I-5 and won't go over 55mph. Do you think it will be okay?

Chris- I think I'd make it a four nighter and do 200 miles a day with stock gears. I'd also stop at the first WallyWorld you pass and pick up an ATV seat cover and a 2.5 gal gas can. Good Luck.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

jvt
    The coast hiway will be fun. I think it is 101.

jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barry View Post
    I am moving from Southern California to Seattle and am shipping all my stuff via USPS and then driving my TW200 1200 miles to Seattle (roughly 400 miles per day; making two overnight sleep stops). My TW200 still has the low stock gearing. I don't think I will have time to resprocket it before I leave. I am taking the scenic route rather than the I-5 and won't go over 55mph. Do you think it will be okay?

If you run up the coast (US 101 as suggested by Jim) the stock gears will work just fine.

You won't need an extra gas can along the coastal route-but carrying an extra gallon or so would not hurt.

Also you should be able to make 400 miles per day but you may find that the days will be long. I'd suggest moteling

My big concern on the trip your proposing is--- the bike's seat, -- it could get rough on your backside.

Good Luck. Should be a fun ride.

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barry View Post
    I am taking the scenic route rather than the I-5 and won't go over 55mph. Do you think it will be okay?

I've been riding around and tracking my rides on a GPS so I can estimate a days mileage as I get used to the TW. Back roads in New England don't really allow a high, sustained top speed. My average speed, including stops, is around 20 to 25 mph. Moving average is 30 to 33 mph.

Average speeds can really really drop when taking stops for fuel - 1.8 gallon tank! - and food and whatever.

I figure on 200 to 250 miles a day, and the days are going to be long days.

If anyone is interested most of my Everytrail.com maps are linked to my blog - www.gasolinestranger.com or right at Everytrail.com

The Goose
    Hold back the edges of your gowns, Ladies, we are going through hell.

I would regear it with a 42 tooth sprocket. I know you said you didn't think you'd have time, but it took me less than 3 hours to do mine. The time and money it would take for a new sprocket/chain and labor would be made up by less time on the road and one night less in a hotel.

I would buy a sprocket, shorten your chain now, then when you are at your destination, get a new o-ring chain and put your other sprocket on.

+1 on the ATV seat cover.

The key to making good time is to keep moving. Keep stops short. Carry enrgy bars and eat while fueling and checking oil. Run to the restroom, and get back on the road.

A TW will run all day at 55mph with the stock sprocket ratio, unless heavy load, headwind, altitude, and/or hills rear their ugly heads. Day after day after day. I've done over 700 miles in a day with stock sprockets, from Tennessee to Texas via the Ozark Mountains. It was a very long day (17 hours).

671tdub likes this.

Maybe invest in some padded riding shorts. I'm going to try a pair in the next week or two. My arse is done after about 150 miles / even with my seat pad.

http://www.aerostich.com/padded-riding-shorts.html

http://www.aerostich.com/merino-riding-shorts.html

671tdub likes this.

Hey guys---thanks for the info! To date the longest trip I made on the TW200 was a bit over 130 miles, partly on the CA-74 through the San Bernardino National Forest. (Beautiful ride up and down a mountain with many twisties. I did it during sunset when the golden beauty of the sky and hills took my breath away.) I only averaged 30mph so it took 4.5 hours or so. The TW200 did seem fine though doing 50mph for a long 70-mile-or-so stretch. I am over 6' but only 155lbs so my butt does not get sore so easily. Wearing leather pants my buttocks did okay. I frequently push myself up on the pegs and adjust myself slightly to give my veins in my rump some circulation. (You risk hemorrhoids if you sit still for too long.)

The number one comfort issue for me above 50mph is the handlebar vibration. I have some cheapo gel gloves that don't suppress the vibes enough (and also require more grip pressure). I think if I invest in some good anti-vibe gloves I'll be set. Comfier earplugs would also be good---I really need to visit an audiologist and get some custom molded ones. But I don't think I'll have time before the trip. I'm leaving Saturday or Sunday.

I especially appreciated the comment from the guy that did a 17 hour day with the stock gearing. To do 400 miles per day I do not need more than 10 hours of saddle-time averaging 40mph on the saddle.

I have absolutely no input for this post, but I just wanted to wish you luck on your journey, and take some pictures when you come across something worth picturing. I, as well as others, love to take a sneak peek on these travels folks take.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links