Is the TW200 a good choice to learn on? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is the TW200 a good choice to learn on?

Size 8 - I like it tight .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Size 8 - I like it tight .......
    Purple likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

In all honesty I would like to suggest the TW as a great learning bike which it is, but it's also a little heavy for a younger rider. They are ~280 lbs where a KLX140 for example is available in standard, L and G models which all vary in size (~ 30-33" seat height) for younger/shorter/ or those looking for a lighter bike (205 - 220lbs) for challenging riding. Quads are one thing but can they pick up the bike on their own if they drop it?

Both bikes have a similar power to weight ratios making them great companion bikes, and a very light clutch, the KLX being even lighter. The TW is dual sport while the KLX is dirt only. Neither of which has too much power for a new rider. KLX $1000 cheaper....

I guess it really depends on the rider and their intended riding style.

And a KLX takes up less room in the garage.

I'm riding with KLX140L rider and I have trouble keeping up, but if I had to choose a bike on a budget other then a TW it would be a KLX140L
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 06-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    Welcome. I think it is a great bike for beginners. It is my first bike and is now 1 of 3. I have kept it because of the fun factor, it is a blast to ride. The TW also has very controllable power which is great for learning on. It sips gas at 60-70 mpg. It also is very low maintenance. The original chain can be maintained to last longer with lots of maintenance but an o ring or x ring chain I recommend before wearing out your sprockets in addition to your other list of things to do.

My partner is learning to ride on "our" (her word, not mine) TW.
    Takes the course in a couple weeks.
    I'll get my TW back then, she has a 150 cc scooter.
    Willys714 likes this.
    Ride long & prosper

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    In all honesty I would like to suggest the TW as a great learning bike which it is, but it's also a little heavy for a younger rider. They are ~280 lbs where a KLX140 for example is available in standard, L and G models which all vary in size (~ 30-33" seat height) for younger/shorter/ or those looking for a lighter bike (205 - 220lbs) for challenging riding. Quads are one thing but can they pick up the bike on their own if they drop it?

Both bikes have a similar power to weight ratios making them great companion bikes, and a very light clutch, the KLX being even lighter. The TW is dual sport while the KLX is dirt only. Neither of which has too much power for a new rider. KLX $1000 cheaper....

I guess it really depends on the rider and their intended riding style.

And a KLX takes up less room in the garage.

I'm riding with KLX140L rider and I have trouble keeping up, but if I had to choose a bike on a budget other then a TW it would be a KLX140L
    The KLX is a nice little bike and is on my list. I agree that lighter would be easier to learn on. When I had my KX80, my cousin had an XR250 and I recall thinking his bike drove like a tank. I'm leaning towards an enduro because they can grow into it and still ride it for years to come. If I could find a used 140/150 I'd consider it, but I've seen nothing near me.

Definitely a great learner bike for any/all potential motorcycle riders. Low powered, lightweight. You can use it to it's limits and have a blast, but it's limits won't get you into the same kind of trouble other bikes can get you into. Due to it's short seat height and skinny profiles, it's easy to throw your weight around on it. To a few other users point, the one downside is the front tire as it can definitely be a little sketch, but just be aware of it and be careful. Since it's a learning bike, don't encourage going to crazy at first
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    1973 Yamaha RD350

Its been the perfect learner for me!
    2004 TW200

I wear size 11 GAERNE Oil Boots off and even some days on, the pavement, and the stock foot pegs have not been a problem either in Moab, or Big Bend, or the West Virginia Hills...but I'm a stock kind of guy, except for the front tire....The Rest, chain, battery, broken clutch and brake levers, etc, have all been changed out for other stock equipment...but Hell I'm an old creature of habit...with the Key Word being "OLD"
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

YES, absolutely.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links