2020 Yamaha TW200 - Just a left over 2019 or ??? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 2020 Yamaha TW200 - Just a left over 2019 or ???

I found it interesting at my local Yamaha dealer, Not that I have much use for him. He does not carry any TWs in stock and claims he can't sell them as long as he has the Suzuki Van Van on the floor with the same MSRP. He claims he can Special Order in a TW but in doing that you have to pay additional freight and set up fees. In this dealers service shop he refuses to even work on any bike over 10 years old stating he has too much trouble sourcing parts and there is always too much wrong with bikes over 10 years old to be bothered with.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I found it interesting at my local Yamaha dealer, Not that I have much use for him. He does not carry any TWs in stock and claims he can't sell them as long as he has the Suzuki Van Van on the floor with the same MSRP. He claims he can Special Order in a TW but in doing that you have to pay additional freight and set up fees. In this dealers service shop he refuses to even work on any bike over 10 years old stating he has too much trouble sourcing parts and there is always too much wrong with bikes over 10 years old to be bothered with.

GaryL
    Hmm. None of the "we don't work on bikes 10yrs or older" makes sense to me in regards to a TW200. They're still making that bike, so ALL the parts are more/less easily attainable direct from Yamaha or OEM resellers. They haven't changed it since 2001. I think you can still get actual pre 2001 parts from those same sources for the most part?

I guess I understand the VanVan/TW issues—brands gives dealers a lot of shit for that kind of stuff. The dealer where I bought my 2019 TW from had one more on the floor right away, but now they have a VanVan and no TWs ... so it looks like they probably sold out of their TW stock, and had some VanVan stock they could then release and sell.
    Darth likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs

1973 Yamaha RD350

You are right about the TWs not changing much Tyler but this dealer seems to think he has the market cornered here and just decided he won't allow his service department take on project bikes over 10 years old. Stupid IMO but I would not take any of my bikes to him for service nor would I buy a bike from his shop so it makes no difference to me. His attitude about not carrying any TWs in stock is also a complete turn off but it is possible he has a hard time selling the new ones here. TWs that appear on the local CL don't last very long unless they are highly overpriced.

GaryL
    tylermoney likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The main reason a dealer won't take on a 10+ year old bike is that there's too many hidden things. Let's say he has to pull the side cover off to replace worn clutch plates and the clutch cable fails while he's messing with it. Unless he documented in the cost of the cable on the estimate, he's liable to restore the bike to it's condition when it arrived. At least here in California, that is the law. If the bike came in with a working clutch cable, it goes out with a working clutch cable and unless it was on the estimate, the shop pays for it.
    This is a big reason just the cost of an estimate are usually pricey; just testing a clutch cable might make it fail in the process of doing up the estimate. So a shop might charge $100 for an estimate that doesn't involve a cover removal and $400 if a cover to the engine has to be removed.
    This is covered under Bureau Of Automotive Repair or BAR.
    I once took a motorcycle in for a valve adjustment. Little did I or the shop know the cam was bad. He charged me $100 to write up an estimate to go towards labor if no other issues were involved. When he realized the valves would not adjust, he popped to OHV cover off and found the cam nearly worn in two. Under BAR laws, he has to return the bike in like-condition as it arrived. In my case; running. He couldn't and when he gave me a quote of $1,200 for repairs, I said no, putting him on the hook to make it as it was when it came in. (Again, running)
    He explained the situation and we worked out a deal; I would pay for parts at cost and he'd throw in the labor for free.
    The bear slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by d_denver View Post
    Say it isn't so??????? I've been holding out on my purchase hoping for a 2020 fuel injected model???????????
    i have found out that fuel injection has it down side. the bike manufactures still send their bikes over here running lean to past the epa. with a carb you can reject for $50, to get out of the lean condition with fuel injection you need to buy a fuel programmer, for $300. so it cost 6x the money to get a bike that doesn't need a choke
    tylermoney and KLRCris like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Think Yamaha is working on some motorcycle models that don't need a human. Where's the fun in that?

[video=youtube;BjZPvXKewFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lx0ZJGgsFs"]
    Last edited by Fred; 07-03-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

When I have to I deal with 2 dealerships. One is my local Yamaha dealer but they also sell Urals (mine is in for a clutch right now), Kymco and a few other oddballs. They have been around since 1960 and started back then selling BMW & Brit brands. They will work on any bike and any year. The mechanics are seasoned and when I get busy at work I will bring them a "Winter Project" and tell them to "just get it running and take your time". There are no kids working there that just came out of MMI that only work on or have a general knowledge of one brand of motorcycle. They are more of an old time shop though there is a huge Yamaha sign over the showroom. Interestingly boats (Yamaha boats) and Jetski's have become almost a bigger part of their business nowadays.
    Same goes for what used to be a Honda dealer not far away. They now sell multiple brands and work on any bike and any year. Same as the Yammy dealer Jetskis and water craft are almost edging out motorcycle sales. I guess folks that own them really don't service them themselves. They also shrink-wrap them and store on every foot of their property over the Winter.

There seems to always be a TW200 & VanVan on the showroom floor next to each other and priced exactly the same all the time. Just one of each. Noticed the TW was gone when I dropped off my wife's Vespa (yeah, they sell and service those too) a week ago. The VanVan has been there for a long time. Love that seat, it's a cool bike.

The shops/dealers that say only one brand service or nothing over 10 years old... they would not survive around where I live. Only the Harley dealer can get away with something like that. Even they will work on anything up to 100 years old, Ha.
    Last edited by stagewex; 07-03-2019 at 05:15 AM.
    GaryL likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

The road I live on is a major MC route heading over to the route 97 Hawks Nest scenic highway. On any nice Friday, Saturday or Sunday and on every summer holiday I see thousands of MCs go by in large groups. Brands are often hard to distinguish but by and far I am sure that Harley has the Lion's share where the big cruisers are concerned. Last weekend we sat out front and in just one group we counted 102 big cruisers pass by and lots of them were trikes and full dressers with stereos blaring. Lately we are seeing quite a few Adventure type bikes like BMWs and others I can't ID. Then of course we see a lot of sport bikes fly by at crazy speeds and in full tuck which scares me to death given all the deer, bear and turkeys all over these roads. Every year we have a couple lives lost from crashes and the majority of them are sports bikes that did not navigate the twisting turns at high speeds or slammed into a critter. Every now and then I look out and can hear a few TWs pass by as they sure do have their own distinctive sound. 2 Strokes are pretty rare these days around here except in the local sand and gravel pits. Most of the area dealers are not all that particular and most carry a few brands and will work on any but the one Yamaha dealer who also carries Suzuki, Kawasaki and Polaris is overly particular and has his own rules regarding working on older bikes. He is not well thought of in these parts and I have no clue how he can remain in business. Any machine I would want to buy that he sells can be bought much cheaper over in PA which is just 30 miles from my NY home. The attached photo is where all of these groups are heading and the route 97 ride along the Delaware River is worth the trip.

GaryL

Hawks Nest.jpg

Every day I swap the SD cards in my trail cams out at the edge of my back yard and this is a daily capture on them.

WGI_0023.JPG
    Last edited by GaryL; 07-03-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    Dryden-Tdub and Fred like this.

Nice pictures Gary of that twisty and your neighborhood bears.
    The Harley dealer can get away with it (working on one brand) because almost all of the other are dealerships bit the dust in 2007-2008 financial meltdown. Perhaps there were too many in a tight-knit area but you have to travel 25-30 miles to get to the nearest one if you don't like the one in my town, 2 miles away. Not throwing one of these on a VersaHaul.

Their service dept. is overwhelmed. I'm doubtful that most buyers of these beasts new are doing any of their own work other than bolting on accessories and maybe the more adventurous, doing an oil change. They look old and traditional but they are (like most others) a complicated mix of modern technology and equipment. My friends that have Power Commanders and other EFI mapping devices are very careful not to go too far from stock settings. The ones that do always end up at the dealer for them to reset all the electronics. Just because Vance & Hines says their product will enhance performance it almost seems that without some sort of special dongle from Harley... they purposely include software to screw you up when you don't buy the product from them.
    I like HD but if I ever go back to owning one a 2005-2007 Heritage Softail Springer would be the newest and only model I'd consider. It's a bucket-list bike for me. My '99 Softial was a carb bike, one of the last years before they all were EFI and had the fake dual-fuel tanks. Easy to work on. Part of ownership of these bikes (any bike) is being able to tinker or futz around with them. Sadly you can't do that with most new products so you see my preferred list and years of bikes I own below. All run quite well and all on the road though sometimes overwhelming space-wise.
    I definitely gotta get a life.
    Last edited by stagewex; 07-03-2019 at 06:44 AM.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Nice pictures Gary of that twisty and your neighborhood bears.
    The Harley dealer can get away with it (working on one brand) because almost all of the other are dealerships bit the dust in 2007-2008 financial meltdown. Perhaps there were too many in a tight-knit area but you have to travel 25-30 miles to get to the nearest one if you don't like the one in my town, 2 miles away. Not throwing one of these on a VersaHaul.

Their service dept. is overwhelmed. I'm doubtful that most buyers of these beasts new are doing any of their own work other than bolting on accessories and maybe the more adventurous, doing an oil change. They look old and traditional but they are (like most others) a complicated mix of modern technology and equipment. My friends that have Power Commanders and other EFI mapping devices are very careful not to go too far from stock settings. The ones that do always end up at the dealer for them to reset all the electronics. Just because Vance & Hines says their product will enhance performance it almost seems that without some sort of special dongle from Harley... they purposely include software to screw you up when you don't buy the product from them.
    I like HD but if I ever go back to owning one a 2005-2007 Heritage Softail Springer would be the newest and only model I'd consider. It's a bucket-list bike for me. My '99 Softial was a carb bike, one of the last years before they all were EFI and had the fake dual-fuel tanks. Easy to work on. Part of ownership of these bikes (any bike) is being able to tinker or futz around with them. Sadly you can't do that with most new products so you see my preferred list and years of bikes I own below. All run quite well and all on the road though sometimes overwhelming space-wise.
    I definitely gotta get a life.
    I completely understand Mike and agree with the overly technical way Harley's are progressing. Not really much for the home garage mechanic to do except basic maintenance. I do have some issues with the Harley brand and have no intention of ever owning one. This company has been around for over 100 years yet they still can't figure out which side their bread is buttered on. I know through the past 30 or more years they have been acquired by various major companies such as AMF and maybe Brunswick or some others and all were poorly accepted. Moving production in any form to China and/or India will be yet another disaster. If Harley wants to continue to be the American Motorcycle then they should just stay right here in America and enjoy the fruits of our labors with the freedoms America insures. I won't say they must have unquestionable support for President Trump but going against the economic successes from his policies is just plain dumb IMO. If a Harley/Davidson bike comes with a label that says Made in India or China they will certainly be big losers in the long run.

GaryL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links