Improving trail riding skills... - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Improving trail riding skills...

My biggest hurdles are always target fixation and being rigid.
    I'm a mountain biker so I should know better but after a fall or when I'm tired I get stiff. A very small rock or rut can really toss your bike. If your stiff your going down. If you're loose 9/10 times you won't even notice it.

No idea how to completely rid oneself of target fixation, I have random bouts of it. Mid ride this wknd I caught a bad case. Had to have a talk with myself and I was fine. 1 hr later I'm mis-shifting and again have a talk with myself. Lol
    Trail Woman and Spoolmak 2.0 like this.
    2001 TW

Target fixation

Since the bike tends to go where you are looking I always say "Look at the solution, not the problem".
    So if you see a big rock, root, ditch or obstacle and want to crash into then by all means look at it. If you want to miss it however then take your eyes away and look for the smooth route around it. The bike will then co-operate.
    littletommy, Darth, grewen and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I am not going to get better....I am going to get worse....so I will go slower and only ride the easy tracks....and enjoy every mile like it is my last...… it is near perfect riding now in the Northwest …. the spring rains have settled the dust and the forests are full of new life and a carpet of wildflowers and sparkling creeks..... with cool mornings and warm smokeless days... I hope to see you down the trail...cuz that is where I am....
    Last edited by bartruff; 06-11-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    assquatch20, Mel, Fred and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

littletommy likes this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

Much experience & wisdom, right here!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Target fixation

Since the bike tends to go where you are looking I always say "Look at the solution, not the problem".
    So if you see a big rock, root, ditch or obstacle and want to crash into then by all means look at it. If you want to miss it however then take your eyes away and look for the smooth route around it. The bike will then co-operate.
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Practice. A lot of trial and error growing up making mistakes as I went. I find now it’s just practice. Getting out as much as you can.
    Darth likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    The TW forum offers many group rides. A good way to get better riding skills is to go on one of these rides. Riders usually head out in groups of similar ability, but the groups welcome all riders and you can push yourself to try some harder terrain. You also get the experience of seeing how other riders "attack" different obstacles and you can ask questions on how to get through different obstacles. No rider is left behind so if you have difficulty at a spot either the group will manhandle your bike through or someone may offer to ride it through that section.
    i'll second that. i found a lot of forgotten skills came awake trying to keep up with Leisure Time Larry, last year in Oregon
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnromr View Post
    Practice. A lot of trial and error growing up making mistakes as I went. I find now it’s just practice. Getting out as much as you can.
    This is the bbest answer. Just get out on your bike as much as you can. Skills develop very gradually and there arent any real shortcuts. Be patient with yourself and enjoy your time in the saddle and one day in the future you'll really realize how much better of a rider you are!

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
    Sthrnromr and Willys714 like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links