Painting Header Pipe
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    After only a few days of commuting in the snow the header pipe looks like poo. I guess the heat and snow made the finish turn to crap.

I may just say the heck with it and get a TTR header pipe but is there any really good high temp paint that won't flake off? The integrity of the pipe is good so hate to get rid of it.

Fender extender is going to happen soon.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

i've heard of people having luck with bbq grill paint

I have a buddy that has good luck with powder coating his header........... Not sure how it would hold up in snow............ OMM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Powder coating is the way to go. Just make sure the place has done exhaust before so they know how to spray it. If you decide to use BBQ paint then first make sure your pipe is well sanded and 100 percent clean! I washed mine in dawn soap and wore gloves so no finger print oil. Also get a good brand ( Krylon) and do lots of light coats. I had a 1974 TS-185 and the pipe still looked good after several years of mud and snow build up.

I have had good luck with Rust-oleum High Heat (2000F) #248903 Flat Black but it is important to follow the directions and bake it in the oven. Baking it makes a difference.

I've had good results with VHT Flame Proof ceramic exhaust paint on cars and am going to do the pipe, shields, & muffler on my '95. I imagine it's similar to the Rustoleum hi temp.

If you use a ceramic type paint make sure you follow the instructions exactly. It has to cure properly for max protection. I coated the headers on my street rod 18 years & 90K miles ago and they still don't have any rust even after many trips to the salt flats.

I don't know how the coating will hold up to rocks and crud hitting them on a motorcycle tho. I made a flap for my '08 and it's kept the engine and exhaust pretty clean so far. Here's a link about mud guards.

I've had good luck with VHT header paint from the parts store. A mud flap really helps too, I have them on mine, front and rear.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Thanks you guys. It sounds like a lot of you have had good success. I will wait until the spring hits and I can ride a different bike before I do it.

I guess I figured powder coating was a not go with the temps but that may be the ticket.

I found some sheet urethane that I am getting for the mudflap. It is what is used on rally cars and stays flexible in the cold.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
    I found some sheet urethane that I am getting for the mudflap. It is what is used on rally cars and stays flexible in the cold.

Urethane should work. My experience with front flap material is that it should be firm enough to hold it's shape but flexible enough to fold back if you go over a big log or something where the flap hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
    Urethane should work. My experience with front flap material is that it should be firm enough to hold it's shape but flexible enough to fold back if you go over a big log or something where the flap hits.

I have used it on my cars (Subaru Rally Style) and it works pretty well. It would afford a little longer flap with the flexibility and not be a problem over obstacles.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links