TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Attention new members (and some old ones) ....

45K views 174 replies 81 participants last post by  Coloradogoose 
#1 ·
The following is aimed at new members – but some of the older ones could do worse than read this “sticky” – and it comes in the form of a “request” …..

Please update your profile to reflect your location, and your signature line to tell everyone what kind of TW you have

It will save lots of questions, such as “what year do you have, how many miles on it, where do you ride” etc – and even if you’ve added just a mod to your bike, the same questions apply

Introducing yourself and your bike is always welcomed, but after you have a dozen posts or so, we either end up going through all of your posts trying to suss this out, ask the inevitable, or just shrug and move on

This is one of the most “inclusive” boards on the net – and it achieves that by sharing information

So, please – take a couple of minutes to update your profile and your signature ……

#63 · (Edited)
This bike is a blast to ride off-road, very forgiving (just what a senior needs)! Picked up 2005 with 364 miles on it.
I replaced the tires, although they looked brand new, changed the oil, new filters, put on 11/8" handlebars, acerbis brush guards, a Manrack, wider foot pegs, 2.8 gal gas tank, tidied up the rear fender, short stalk turn signals and would like to change the jetting but, I'm starting to think "leave well enough along".
I hope the Admiral is able to put together a group ride this fall in Moab, I definitely would like to join.

#64 ·
This bike is a blast to ride ride off-road, very forgiving (just what a senior needs)! Picked up 2005 with 364 miles on it.
I replaced the tires, although they looked brand new, changed the oil, new filters, put on 11/8" handlebars, acerbis brush guards, a Manrack, wider foot pegs, 2.8 gal gas tank, tidied up the rear fender, short stalk turn signals and would like to change the jetting but, I'm starting think "leave well enough along".
I hope the Admiral is able to put together a group ride this fall in Moab, I definitely would like to join.
Welcome to the forum!! 😎

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone
#70 ·
Purple,
This has most likely already been addressed, but what are the chances of getting your location displayed next to your name, number of posts, and joined date? This way it’s easily referenced, like it was with the old forum format.
Do you really need to know people are “registered”?

#67 ·
Hello,
I'm new to the site. I have recently found this and am definately thankful this is here. I purchased a 2004 tw a little over 8 years ago for my wife with 480 miles. It was not running at the time due to a nasty carburetor. I took it to the local shop and they got it running for her. I rode it home and could only get it up to 45 mph. I thought no problem as my wife had never rode before. And it's a 200cc big tire bike so that's pretty good right! She has put about 1400 miles on it over the years on trails and gravel roads. It has been back to the shop twice for carb work and seems to always run the same afterwords.

Not anymore. With the knowledge I've been able to find on this forum, I've made it an awsome running tw now. Found some small parts on the carb reversed and put a new main jet in it and wow. It will pull me strong to 65 now and is a hill climber without any carb burps happening.

Now with some of the stuff I've seen on this forum I'm excited. I will go with the high fender mount and front tire swap asap because of this forum. Currently the only mods it has are dirtbagz soft panniers that have been amazing.

Thank you for all the info on here.

#68 ·
Hello,
I'm new to the site. I have recently found this and am definately thankful this is here. I purchased a 2004 tw a little over 8 years ago for my wife with 480 miles. It was not running at the time due to a nasty carburetor. I took it to the local shop and they got it running for her. I rode it home and could only get it up to 45 mph. I thought no problem as my wife had never rode before. And it's a 200cc big tire bike so that's pretty good right! She has put about 1400 miles on it over the years on trails and gravel roads. It has been back to the shop twice for carb work and seems to always run the same afterwords.

Not anymore. With the knowledge I've been able to find on this forum, I've made it an awsome running tw now. Found some small parts on the carb reversed and put a new main jet in it and wow. It will pull me strong to 65 now and is a hill climber without any carb burps happening.

Now with some of the stuff I've seen on this forum I'm excited. I will go with the high fender mount and front tire swap asap because of this forum. Currently the only mods it has are dirtbagz soft panniers that have been amazing.

Thank you for all the info on here.
Welcome to the forum! 👌

Reactions: Ken
#69 · (Edited)
Hello all, new member here :) Not owning tw200 yet but this new one fell in my eye and I'm interested in it.
Greetings
There are top quality motorcycle windscreens and wind deflectors which will help you take care about motorcycle aerodynamics and help you with pushing air - MotorcycleScreens.eu - Many motorbikes brands are available - windscreen YAMAHA FZ6 S2 FAZER, motorcycle spoilers for KTM, BMW, SUZUKI, HONDA and more. We are a dynamically developing company with a passion for what we do and we make sure that our products are effective and improve driving, at the same time we make sure that they are of very high quality, but not at an exorbitant price, because we want our products to be available for everyone. If you are person who are looking really good motorcycle screens, windscreen YAMAHA FZ6 S2 FAZER or for any other motorbike, check site !!!

#71 ·
Unfortunately the new forum doesn't work that way - but if you hover over your pic (or anyone elses), it does open up and show more detail. But if you have not input that information on your profile in the first place, location will not show

This is the purpose of this thread, to get people to put that information in plain sight - unfortunately it seems to be falling on deaf ears ......

#72 ·
Hello. Been on the forum for a little while but have not interacted too much. I have the black and purple 91 version of this mountain goat. I mostly ride the forest roads around in the Coconino forest near the Mogollon Rim. I have not done many upgrades other than the Clark tank and the d-flex hand guards.

I had an 80's XT250 back in Michigan and bought a YZ490 when I moved to AZ. Way too much bike for me but it worked until I endo'd it and messed it and myself up. No permanent damage but I gave up motorcycles for a while. About 6 years ago started researching the TW's as a neighbor had one. Seemed perfect so I started the search. Found one, and have been riding it since. I don't ride as much as I would like. Son has a DRZ400 and we have done a trip or two, but I usually just putt around the cabin. Most of my spare time is spent on the mountain bikes, but want to ride the TW more.

Has anyone here installed or know of anyone using Revgrips on a motorcycle? It is a grip that 'floats' off the bar to relieve arm pump and hand fatigue. I am wondering if they would help in those times I am on the road at higher speeds.

I hope to come here more often and get more involved.

Dale,

#73 ·
Relatively new member here. I basically just want to say "Hello there guys" :) I'm from Denmark but I live in the middle of nowhere deep forest Russia now. Almost 10 years. I bought my 2007 Tw200 to get around in the forest shooting videos for my YouTube channel, Survival-Russia. Super tough terrain here. Flat land with lot of mud all year round. I'm looking to do some upgrades on the bike. It's stock, which is good. I bought it about 8 months ago, but I have not been riding it during the winter. Too damn cold for that!

#76 ·
Lars its great to have you here. If you need any info help etc just ask in the forum. The guys and gals here are awesome ;)

Many may recall I’ve posted Lars’s stuff here before. He’s top shelf, good people.

Reactions: Lars G
#78 · (Edited)
Good day;
I have been lurking for a few weeks, but joined up just today.
I just bought a new 2019 TW200 still held over from last year. I went out riding it around town just now and have a measly 20 miles on the clock now. I have this week off from work, so I plan to add some more miles the next few days!

I've had my street bike licence since 1992. I've never been without a bike of one sort or another since then, but this will be the first dual sport I've owned. Most of my bikes have been sport bikes or standards in the 250-500cc range, with a couple of 650 cruisers in there as well. I've been riding a V-Star 650 for the last five years, and for a while I've felt like it was time to try a small light dualie.
- Bruce

#79 ·
Ok this is my first post, I picked up a little abused TW with 4500 mil that I am going to set up for mostly trail riding. I'm in the Emmett, Idaho area. I have been browsing the site and the trails and off road adventures and performance and mods are very interesting. I have been waiting on parts to arrive so no rides yet other than around the yard.I looking forward to meeting new folks to trail ride with in my local area. This appears to be a great site with lots of support and information.

#80 ·
Welcome to the forum!!

#83 ·
I'm looking to get a TW some time in the next year. I have enjoyed my two Honda. C70 passports the last ten years. They just can't do trails so i'm moving to the TW soon. My hard core days are long gone but old fat men still like to have fun. I'll try to read up on things here so i can be better informed how i want to set up when i buy.

#88 ·
Hello All,
New member. Just picked up a 91 with 5k and bringing it back to life. New steering bearings, rubber, petcock rebuild, needle and seat, sprockets and chain, front brakes, valve adjust, cam chain adjust. Progressing nicely thanks to the advice in this forum. I definitely goofed the front sprocket install as the case is leaking oil like a sieve. Ordered another gasket and oil seals and will take another run at that when those parts arrive. Rear wheel bearing kit on order along with a new slider/seal guard. She purrs like a kitten though. Looking forward to hitting the woods once she is straight. Certainly appreciate the knowledge I have picked up here.

#89 ·
Hi Y'all. Just joined the forum yesterday. Just got the itch to get off the beaten path. Don't want a big, heavy, fast bike. In the mood for slow and steady.

I've been reading up on TW's and just decided to take the plunge.

First bike was a 1979 Honda XR80R. Followed by CR's, then street. Haven't had a motorcycle since 1992.

I've been doing some bicycle touring, but not sure that my old body can take a big off-road tour and I'm not keen on riding highway shoulders but I really want to get out there. Also just discovered TAT... and I want to teach my daughter to ride. Seems like a TW is the answer!

These forums are great. So much info here!

#90 ·
Hello, I'm new to owning a TW200 but not new to motorcycles. I live in Spokane Valley, WA, and enjoy meeting new motorcycling friends. The TW I bought is an '88 and came with a large tank which I'm thrilled about. It's one less thing I need to do to make it the way I want it. I'll add side racks so I can use soft side bags and I need heated grips. I'm looking forward to meeting others that ride TW200s.

#91 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Scooterbrained
#92 ·
Hello All,

I’m a new forum member with a new to me 2009 TW200 with @ 149 miles on it (yup, 149). It has sat for a few years so I’ll be slowly resurrecting the bike and hopefully not having to dump a ton of money into it... I have recently (or still do) owned an ‘89 KLR650, a 2015 DRZ400SM with TKC80’s (I like the clown shoes!), a ‘93 XR600R that’s in parts. My current pride and joy, other than the new TW, is a 2011 Husaberg fe570. I’ve been participating in various forums since the early ‘90’s and always appreciate the collective knowledge and wisdom found in places like these.

I already have some parts on order for the great revival and hope to be riding before the snow flies but in Durango that may be soon.

The Norseman (Tom)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#94 ·
New to the forum. Just bought a couple of beater TWs (1989 and 1994) and both need love. One eats batteries and the other one pouts when it gets too warm and wont run again until after a timeout. I’m not a mechanic, but I feel like I’ll be playing one on tv soon. LOL.

First bike was a CR80 Elsinore about a hundred years ago and I’ve been in love ever since. I currently have a Yamaha 1300 Tourer and a hardtailed Sporty (883) in the garage keeping the sibling TWs company. I have owned a lot of bikes and quads over the years and these two fatties are definite favorites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.