TW Work Station
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: TW Work Station

All,

Wondering if you could provide tips and photos of where you work on your TW? Are you using a lift, stands, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

My Harbor Freight lift. Have had it for about 20 years. Had to add hydrolic oil to it once...lifts my 900lb Victory also
    This pic was when I put new fork boots onand changed fork oil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plus 1 on the HF bike jack. It lifts my almost 600 plus lb Dyna with ease.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you only need one wheel off the deck, you can use a normal trolley lack with the bike still on the side stand

To lift the front enough to drop the front wheel, first place a thick rubber bung onto the lift point of the jack, then place the jack underneath the front of the bash plate. I’ve done this several times and it’s perfectly safe even with the standard bash plate – but you will need that bit of rubber or you risk putting the weight of the bike on a single point

To lift the rear, right hand side, towards the rear of the swinging arm (no rubber)

I did look at these “lifts”, but until I need one, the trolley jack will do

There’s a temptation to get “everything”, but half of it you don’t need. There’s some on here that use a milk crate, some simply hang them from the ceiling. I’ve got a pair of torque wrenches here I’ve never used (prefer to do it by “feel”)

There will come a point where you will need a specific piece of kit to do a specific job, but until then, relax ….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Usually I'm laying in the dirt somewhere.Moab 2015 First Report 065.JPG

If I'm lucky I get a BBQ work station with adjustable grill.
    Moab 2015 First Report 064.JPG

Often I just moon everyone 'till they take pity on me and offer assistance. This is Judge Borneo about to give a ruling: "Pull your pants up young man!".Moab 2015 First Report 062.JPG
    Last edited by Fred; 06-25-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    Sthrnromr, Purple, troll and 5 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Fred,

just wondering what front tire is on your bike. Really like the back tire and rockets boosters.

thanks

TTS
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Sure appreciate the advice everyone. I'm trying to conserve funds and space in the garage. Been thinking about installing a hoist to hang deer from. Think I'll give that idea a try.

Fred, you're adjustable grill came in a close 2nd! Looks like you've been having fun, good stuff😀

I just use one of the harbor freight ATV lifts, which also has no problem picking up my 800lb Valkyrie bagger. Bring along your 20% off coupon and it's $80. If you don't have a coupon, there's a "harbor freight coupons" app that's free. Like most things from harbor freight, check all pre-assembled hardware for tightness and not a bad idea to put a drop of locktite on the critical pivots. Take the handle out, flip it up vertically and it slides in next to the toolbox nicely, taking up very little space when not in use.

The TW (with a Ricochet skidplate) easily perches with one pad right under the swingarm pivot and the other at the front edge of the skidplate. Both wheels lift off the ground and it's quite stable.

I've used a variety of methods for a lift/workstation. These photos might give you some more idea's.

Newly acquired used foot pump lift. This is my favorite.

Free. Truck bed toolbox.

Gift but under $50 I think. Ok for light maintenance. This one is a little tall for the TW and XT even before pushing the lift handle to raise it. I take this one camping so I have something and it's portable and lightweight.

I've used ratchet straps hanging from the shop rafters before. This was the most clumbsy/dangerous when you had to let it down.

2nd favorite work-stand. Got the plans from member Jaglite and built this myself. I'd be using it now but it's still in storage from our move last fall. I plan to lower it 2-4 inches as it's hard to reach across and hold the brake when removing from the stand. I used ATV ramps to load the bikes up onto the work station. I use the same method to load/unload on the truck bed toolbox work station.

Floor Jack (background TW). I'll use this every great once in a while but it's unstable and I usually support the TW with Jack Stands so the TW doesn't tip over though obviously I didn't use them this time. Ususally I do.

Ok. After going through my photos I use the floor jack more than I thought. haha.

I even used a hitch carrier to complete an engine change. This actually worked pretty well. I'd use it more at home but I now have all them tables so no need but it would work really well out camping for field repairs.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Cool picture of the unpacking of Evan's crate motor and turning it into a wheelbarrow motor. Receiver carrier actually worked fairly well . Three of us had the motor in only a few hours then we took the bike for a ride with his dog Georgie riding on the cyclerack.
    joeband, Purple, Sthrnromr and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links