Boot recommendation / opinions
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Boot recommendation / opinions

Boot recommendation / opinions

I am a new motorcycle rider and am still learning. After my off road accident a year and a half ago where I destroyed my ankle, I decided I should get some boots.

I will be driving my TW 80% on the street and 20% fire roads. I plan to stay on the road for at least the next two years while I learn how to ride.

I need a boot that is flexible and comfortable enough to walk around in most of the day. I would only be riding in the warmer months for now.

So what I would like to know is some recommendations on boots or features I should be looking for. Searching so far has me overwhelmed...

The avatar picture I use was taken 5 minutes before the crash.
    Last edited by Errtu; 06-27-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I have yet to find the unicorn boot. Good protective boots are not good walking around boots, and good walking around boots are not very protective. That pretty much leaves getting protective boots and carrying around a change of footwear that you can walk around in, or getting something you can walk around in and hope you don't destroy your ankle again if you ever go down. I advocate dressing for the slide over the ride. Here's my take on the boots I've used... https://youtu.be/gfwglvehwdU?t=530
    ZXtasy and Ken like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Nicely done brother Larry!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
    I have yet to find the unicorn boot. Good protective boots are not good walking around boots, and good walking around boots are not very protective. That pretty much leaves getting protective boots and carrying around a change of footwear that you can walk around in, or getting something you can walk around in and hope you don't destroy your ankle again if you ever go down. I advocate dressing for the slide over the ride. Here's my take on the boots I've used... https://youtu.be/gfwglvehwdU?t=530
    Yea I know there is no perfect boot. When I mean walk around like the grocery store or BBQ. No long treks.

What main things should I be looking for?
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Really no boot that truly protects you is comfortable to walk in. I have hiked a fair amount in motocross boots and you just get used to it and adjust your stride. Or just carry a pair of sandals or shoes in your pack for when you want to be comfortable. Thats a hard won lesson.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

I have had years of good use from SIDI Sympatex boots, street, track, off road. Long treks up hills to take photos can be a bit of a chore, but on most rides I am in them 12 hours of the day and feel very protected.

I have always worn my hiking boots …...they are obviously very comfortable ….currently I am using Red Wing leather boots with 6" tops and they give me all the support and protection I need …. never had a injury in 60 plus years of riding …...except some scrapes and soreness from falling....I quit falling years ago... not prudent...

I have two sets of riding boots and will wear them according to terrain I am riding and plans for walking. If I know I am riding hard, rocks, single track, etc., I wear my not so comfortable, but super protective Gaerne GX-1's. If I know I will be taking it a little easier and/or hiking, walking a bit, I wear my Forma ADV high boots. As was stated, there is always a trade-off, but with boots those are the only two I am willing to make. This is just what I choose and my experience.

Cheers.
    Purple likes this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

I have been wearing Sidi Aventure2 Gortex boots and love them. Expensive, I know, but they have saved me from some pretty "expensive" foot injuries. Very comfortable too.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/...-2-boot-review
    littletommy and ZXtasy like this.
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

Look for a good stiff leather, and strong ankle support – and exactly the opposite in walking boots …

It’s always going to be a compromise, but I’ve settled on Forma full length. They’re wider than the average boot, which gives your feet more room to move around, while still strong enough for what we put them through. Go “one size up” when ordering. As we get older, our feet get bigger – not by a lot, but it happens. Then factor in “foot swell” in heat, and you’ll soon see why going one size larger makes all the difference, especially if you are wearing them all day and walking around in them

Loose enough to walk in them, strong enough to ride in them – like I said, it’s always going to be a compromise – Forma works for me

If there was anything I’d change, I’d add a projection on the heel to make getting them off easier. My old boots have this, but then they’re tight, so they need it. With the Forma boots this is not so critical, but it would be a nice touch ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links