Price for a new tw200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Price for a new tw200

Price for a new tw200

Just curious what a new tw goes for in California. I got quoted 1000 over MSRP out the door. Just wondering if I'm getting screwed, I don't trust dealerships.

Any suggestions on where to shop for a tw in central Cali I'm open for suggestions.

Just sold my drz and doing a fun-upgrade to a tw.

If anyone is selling a tw around central Cali I'd check that out too.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Try cycle trader ….most are asking around $4600....BUT if I were you I would buy a used one from a dealer or a individual with a clear and clean title and low miles..

Hoot Gibson likes this.

Welcome to the group!

Long story made short, find a small dealer which doesn't tack-on a bunch of fee's. Longer version of that answer below...

Was the dealer which quoted you $1,000 over MSRP one of those giant mega dealers? We have a lot of those here in So.Cal. and a couple of years ago when I wanted to buy a new street bike one closest to me quoted me something like $1,500 over MSRP on account of their fee's. I don't remember all of them but do remember things like advertising, assembly and prep (both realistic things to charge for, but the amounts they were charging seemed excessive to me). I remember that one fee they wanted to add was a storage fee for the space the bike had taken-up on their showroom floor. I actually laughed out loud at that one since the particular bike I was there to buy wasn't physically at that dealership (it was supposed to be, supposedly they accidentally pulled the right model but the wrong color from one of their other dealerships). It also struck me as odd that they were trying to charge me storage space for a bike I hadn't bought yet.

Needless to say I didn't buy the bike there, I bought from a small dealer which only sells bikes from two manufactures instead of 10. No added fees, no BS. Walked-in with cash, 30 minutes later they were loading my new bike into the back of my truck. Yelp is your friend here. Also some of those fee's the mega dealers charge are able to be negotiated away, in my case I got them to drop $500 of them but then grew tired of the back and forth plus they kept trying to upsell me to something larger which I didn't want.

Good luck!

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you buy "out the door" you don't have to screw with fees or license or taxes.....you will pay them but " out the door" gives the dealer a opportunity to distribute the sale price anyway he prefers and means you only negotiate the total …….

When I buy new I get a "out the door" cash only quote from any dealer that I am willing to travel to ….never have to argue and never ever buy anything but the bike....no equipment….no warranty ….no service contracts.....no financing....no insurance.....no nothing..... KISS...keep it simple stupid....
    Last edited by bartruff; 07-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Wheel and Deal.....

They all {Dealers} ask to much, but almost all will deal...I bargained with the guys at Honda~Yamaha East up in Toledo, and after 3 or 4 days of haggling, all the "add on" stuff was eliminated....plus they threw in a Helmet and Gloves....ended up paying $4300 out the door for my 2014 back in March 2014....

tw200 004.JPG
    Ken likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    If you buy "out the door" you don't have to screw with fees or license or taxes.....you will pay them but " out the door" gives the dealer a opportunity to distribute the sale price anyway he prefers and means you only negotiate the total …….

When I buy new I get a "out the door" cash only quote from any dealer that I am willing to travel to ….never have to argue and never ever buy anything but the bike....no equipment….no warranty ….no service contracts.....no financing....no insurance.....no nothing..... KISS...keep it simple stupid....
    Cash is King.....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Dealer prep fees and destination fees are BS. If they ask you to pay more than MSRP+ tax, Kick Rocks. Somebody out there will treat you right.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

Quote Originally Posted by NVcowboy View Post
    Dealer prep fees and destination fees are BS. If they ask you to pay more than MSRP+ tax, Kick Rocks. Somebody out there will treat you right.
    This right here. Same goes for cars. Every time I hear "let me go talk to my manager/finance/whoever", I reply with "sure, and while you're doing that, I'm going to go talk to a different dealer". If they try to keep me there more than 1hr for any transaction, I tell them I'm going to charge them for my time, and I'm not cheap. Can't stand sales douches or the bullshit little ecosystem they've built around themselves.

I love your strategy nihil. Might use those comments the next time I'm buying something overpriced at a dealership. Good stuff!

When I used to buy my sons racebikes, I would just gather up a handfull of phone numbers from the various dealers carrying the model we wanted. I'd call and be totally honest with the sales people, I'd tell them "Im calling every dealer within 300 miles of my house, whoever shoots me with the best number gets my cash." Usually within 3 hours I had a number I liked, so I'd hold the bike with CC number, hit the road and pay cash when I arrived. No BS fees, and sometimes I was lucky enough to get them still in their crate. I preferred crate anyway, I always grease and retorque everything before first ride anyway. Oh, and I never, ever paid msrp. They loved cash.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links