Fuel mileage - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Fuel mileage

Stock tank- 75-85 til reserve, then another 35-40 til dry. Highway/trail combo, depending on wind, climbs, and load. 115-120 avg. But as Gary said, be safe and refuel at around 100, unless you carry spare fuel to make it further between stations.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

I've found that these mpg threads vary widely, so as others recommended, fill 'er up, set the tripometer to 0 and see where she gets you. I did just that on this tank and hit reserve this morning, giving me 55mpg, which sounds terrible, but that's strictly commuting, lots of hills, all surface streets, and lots and lots of sitting in rush hour traffic. I wanted a worst case scenario reading for my current set-up and (hopefully) I got it.

Hello all, I have a noob question. I bought a 2014 TW... the seller mentioned that he had the carb jetted to run richer. The upshot is that I never have to use the choke, even in like the upper 30s (I'm at sea level in the Pacific NW). However, I'm getting like 55-60 miles until reserve (I've never worked out how much more to empty). I'm wondering: would re-jetting make that much of a difference on mileage?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xupa View Post
    Hello all, I have a noob question. I bought a 2014 TW... the seller mentioned that he had the carb jetted to run richer. The upshot is that I never have to use the choke, even in like the upper 30s (I'm at sea level in the Pacific NW). However, I'm getting like 55-60 miles until reserve (I've never worked out how much more to empty). I'm wondering: would re-jetting make that much of a difference on mileage?
    There was no real reason to re-jet to make it run richer. A simple twist of the air/fuel mixture "Pilot Screw" could have done that. Being "Richer" leaves a lot of the fuel unburnt and fouls up the plug, top of the piston and the exhaust system. You might be able to still adjust it for the proper lean/rich mix with the pilot screw. What you want is your spark plug to have a nice but slightly burnt toast color on the porcelain. Your bike will run smoother, use less fuel and may require the "Choke" Enrichment lever to be utilized on cold start up. IMO all this re-jetting crap is just that unless you travel real high above sea level or do the ridiculous FMF muffler swap.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    IMO all this re-jetting crap is just that unless you travel real high above sea level or do the ridiculous FMF muffler swap.
    GaryL
    OK...I have to ask...what is your beef with the FMF exhaust swap?

When I bought this latest TW, it came with an FMF Powercore, but I longed for the stock sound of my old TW sewing machine, so I took the FMF off and put the OEM back on...
    Don't know if I'll ever want the FMF back on....
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

I'm getting about 65mpg out of mine riding up to 4000ft and then back down to 1000ft over a 1.5 hour drive averaging about 45mph through twisty turny hilly terrain. Worst I've ever got was 55mpg. You can usually count on 100 miles per tank of no ethanol.
    Ken likes this.
    2020 TW, 2000 miles and growing
    YouTube: Moto Politics - Hidden Content
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    OK...I have to ask...what is your beef with the FMF exhaust swap?

When I bought this latest TW, it came with an FMF Powercore, but I longed for the stock sound of my old TW sewing machine, so I took the FMF off and put the OEM back on...
    Don't know if I'll ever want the FMF back on....
    "OK...I have to ask...what is your beef with the FMF exhaust swap?". I am really glad you asked but I think you answered your own question, you took it off and have no desire to put it back on. The FMF exhaust is an aftermarket system that sounds and looks cool to some, costs unnecessary $$ and does not give any TW much more in the line of performance. Yes, you can spend more $$ and mess with the carb to dial it in and even then you basically still get squat from all that time, effort and expense. The FMF exhaust is also unapproved in lots of State Forest Preserves such as NH. There really is nothing wrong with the stock exhaust system on the TW unless the stock exhaust is rusted, modified or beat to hell. Looking cool and sounding cool for no real gain and lots of added expense is a fools game IMO but for those who need to look and sound cool I say go for it. When ever I went to buy a TW that had an FMF system on it the first question I asked the seller was do you still have the original muffler that will go with the bike. Keep in mind TW in BC, I am strictly old school and if you want to really be Cool in my eyes just buy an XT225 Stainless Steel header pipe for your TW which does nothing but change the cool look a little.

GaryL
    Ken and TW_in_BC like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

GaryL you make a lot of sense. From what I have seen tho, people dont like stock. If you get a 200, you try to make it a 250. If you get a 250, you try to make it a 450 and so on.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by Apolloha View Post
    GaryL you make a lot of sense. From what I have seen tho, people dont like stock. If you get a 200, you try to make it a 250. If you get a 250, you try to make it a 450 and so on.
    That is a completely normal course of events, we all tend to want to make it something it is not or at least dial it in to our own liking. Those of us who know these bikes already understand there is very little you can do to milk the last ounce of power out of them. Farkles is the name of the game and maybe some sprocket gearing that better suits your needs.

GaryL

Worst I have ever gotten so far has been 74mpg. Best was 91mpg. I usually average 80-84mpg. My bike is bone stock and lean running. I putt putt in the woods and average speed on the road is 35 - 40 with an occasional high speed burst to 55! OMG! I do not like to hold people up and will pull to the side of the road with a friendly wave around. Not all, (some will waive the wave and give the finger) but most people will give an appreciative wave and some times a smile back. And the kids in the back seat almost always have their noses smeared on the window. I bought the bike for what it was and it is what it was and it was what it is. I like the sound of the stock exhaust and at times could even be quieter. It is a little louder than my stock KLX 250. And the cool factor sometimes even has the basketball stop dribbling and the football cease throwing when I ride by the kids playing in the street.
    It is a funbike that causes a lot of 's and even a lot of 's

Marty
    Last edited by Scooterbrained; Yesterday at 07:30 AM.
    '16 Yamaha TW200 '08 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad '07 Kawasaki KLX250 '93 BMW R100GS Bumblebee (Mothballed)
    '99 Tacoma SR5 4WD '58 Willys CJ5 '90's Honda 4514 hydro riding mower '90's Honda 5013 compact tractor 4WD & 4W Steering

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links