TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Fuel mileage

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Scooterbrained 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many miles you average per tank? Im geting ready to take a trip and wondering about fillups

#2 ·
Worst I ever got was 55 miles to reserve, or maybe 70 to dry tank, WOT on pavement into headwind. Best I ever got was 105 to reserve, putting along backcountry lanes at 26-35 mph, or maybe 135 to dry tank. Average is around 75-80 miles to reserve, 115 to dry tank. Tire pressure is important! Running 20 psi will get the best mileage at higher speeds at the expense of comfort. I usually run 16/18 on pavement and 14/15 in the dirt....That best number was probably with 16/18.

I often carry a 32 oz. MSR bottle just in case.

#3 ·
I've gotten similar numbers as RockyTFS. It really depends on how/where/what you're riding through. My average is in the 70s for mpg though.

Reactions: Ken and raffles
#6 ·
Difficult question to answer still – hills, altitude, throttle ranges (cruising vs trail) – then there’s the small matter of Imperial (British) gallons, vs whatever passes for a gallon over there. You also have to factor in the mods on your bike, and the fact that despite appearances, no two TW’s are the same

Then there’s detours, petrol stations that are shut etc – the only answer is to load for bear

If you’re long distance cruising, consider a bigger tank (Clarke or Rotopax, or even an XT350 tank) – even for shorter range a lot of us carry a couple of litres either in MSR bottles mounted inside tool tubes or in a bag, or I use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universa...739759&hash=item1eac53aa23:g:oOgAAOSwvelc0Bof chucked in a tool bag together with a set of spare levers (cos I’m a cheapskate)

Seems to me that the first thing you need to do is start out with a full tank, re-set the trip on the speedo, and run it until it goes onto reserve (while carrying spare fuel with you). Once you have that figure, look at your route, and decide what extra you need to carry, which will dictate your options on what method to use ……

#10 ·
On all of my TWs that had the tripometer I set it to zero at every fill up. I usually hit the reserve at around 75-80 miles and always figured 100 miles to be the time to find fuel. This proved to be spot on while riding with friends on mostly pavement and at speeds of an average of 50 MPH. I get much better miles when I just putt around locally at much lower speeds and have stretched a tank out to around 130 miles when just cruising by myself and enjoying the scenery. It is the same as any vehicle and if you are blasting a lot then expect less but around 100 miles per full tank seems to be a basic average.

GaryL

Reactions: Ken
#11 ·
Stock tank- 75-85 til reserve, then another 35-40 til dry. Highway/trail combo, depending on wind, climbs, and load. 115-120 avg. But as Gary said, be safe and refuel at around 100, unless you carry spare fuel to make it further between stations.

#12 ·
I've found that these mpg threads vary widely, so as others recommended, fill 'er up, set the tripometer to 0 and see where she gets you. I did just that on this tank and hit reserve this morning, giving me 55mpg, which sounds terrible, but that's strictly commuting, lots of hills, all surface streets, and lots and lots of sitting in rush hour traffic. I wanted a worst case scenario reading for my current set-up and (hopefully) I got it.

#13 ·
Hello all, I have a noob question. I bought a 2014 TW... the seller mentioned that he had the carb jetted to run richer. The upshot is that I never have to use the choke, even in like the upper 30s (I'm at sea level in the Pacific NW). However, I'm getting like 55-60 miles until reserve (I've never worked out how much more to empty). I'm wondering: would re-jetting make that much of a difference on mileage?

#14 ·
There was no real reason to re-jet to make it run richer. A simple twist of the air/fuel mixture "Pilot Screw" could have done that. Being "Richer" leaves a lot of the fuel unburnt and fouls up the plug, top of the piston and the exhaust system. You might be able to still adjust it for the proper lean/rich mix with the pilot screw. What you want is your spark plug to have a nice but slightly burnt toast color on the porcelain. Your bike will run smoother, use less fuel and may require the "Choke" Enrichment lever to be utilized on cold start up. IMO all this re-jetting crap is just that unless you travel real high above sea level or do the ridiculous FMF muffler swap.

GaryL

Reactions: xupa
#16 ·
I'm getting about 65mpg out of mine riding up to 4000ft and then back down to 1000ft over a 1.5 hour drive averaging about 45mph through twisty turny hilly terrain. Worst I've ever got was 55mpg. You can usually count on 100 miles per tank of no ethanol.

#18 ·
GaryL you make a lot of sense. From what I have seen tho, people dont like stock. If you get a 200, you try to make it a 250. If you get a 250, you try to make it a 450 and so on.

#19 ·
That is a completely normal course of events, we all tend to want to make it something it is not or at least dial it in to our own liking. Those of us who know these bikes already understand there is very little you can do to milk the last ounce of power out of them. Farkles is the name of the game and maybe some sprocket gearing that better suits your needs.

GaryL

#20 · (Edited)
Worst I have ever gotten so far has been 74mpg. Best was 91mpg. I usually average 80-84mpg. My bike is bone stock and lean running. I putt putt in the woods and average speed on the road is 35 - 40 with an occasional high speed burst to 55! OMG! I do not like to hold people up and will pull to the side of the road with a friendly wave around. Not all, (some will waive the wave and give the finger) but most people will give an appreciative wave and some times a smile back. And the kids in the back seat almost always have their noses smeared on the window. I bought the bike for what it was and it is what it was and it was what it is. I like the sound of the stock exhaust and at times could even be quieter. It is a little louder than my stock KLX 250. And the cool factor sometimes even has the basketball stop dribbling and the football cease throwing when I ride by the kids playing in the street.
It is a funbike that causes a lot of :)'s and even a lot of :D's

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.