Fuel mileage
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fuel mileage

Fuel mileage

I was wondering how many miles you average per tank? Im geting ready to take a trip and wondering about fillups

Worst I ever got was 55 miles to reserve, or maybe 70 to dry tank, WOT on pavement into headwind. Best I ever got was 105 to reserve, putting along backcountry lanes at 26-35 mph, or maybe 135 to dry tank. Average is around 75-80 miles to reserve, 115 to dry tank. Tire pressure is important! Running 20 psi will get the best mileage at higher speeds at the expense of comfort. I usually run 16/18 on pavement and 14/15 in the dirt....That best number was probably with 16/18.

I often carry a 32 oz. MSR bottle just in case.
    tylermoney and jbfla like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I've gotten similar numbers as RockyTFS. It really depends on how/where/what you're riding through. My average is in the 70s for mpg though.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs

1973 Yamaha RD350

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Depends on which year (and whole heap of other things) ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanks for the input my bike is a 19 with dg pipe and larger main jet and i run 20psi on my tires and i mostly ride 50/50 pavement/ gravel road

Difficult question to answer still – hills, altitude, throttle ranges (cruising vs trail) – then there’s the small matter of Imperial (British) gallons, vs whatever passes for a gallon over there. You also have to factor in the mods on your bike, and the fact that despite appearances, no two TW’s are the same

Then there’s detours, petrol stations that are shut etc – the only answer is to load for bear

If you’re long distance cruising, consider a bigger tank (Clarke or Rotopax, or even an XT350 tank) – even for shorter range a lot of us carry a couple of litres either in MSR bottles mounted inside tool tubes or in a bag, or I use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...gAAOSwvelc0Bof chucked in a tool bag together with a set of spare levers (cos I’m a cheapskate)

Seems to me that the first thing you need to do is start out with a full tank, re-set the trip on the speedo, and run it until it goes onto reserve (while carrying spare fuel with you). Once you have that figure, look at your route, and decide what extra you need to carry, which will dictate your options on what method to use ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

2017 completely stock except a cyclerack and oil cooler. I get about 75-80 to reserve. That is riding 35-55 mph 2 up on the street.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by JPeek View Post
    Thanks for the input my bike is a 19 with dg pipe and larger main jet and i run 20psi on my tires and i mostly ride 50/50 pavement/ gravel road
    Realistically, you are going to have to get numbers for your own setup and riding style over time. The above are only rough guidelines. With a larger main jet you may see significantly less than what we have experienced.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I have a 130 main jet with FMF Powercore 4 and I get 75-80 miles to a gallon on back roads and highway. 15 - 47 gearing, 204/203 Bridgestones and I weigh 155 pounds.
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

On all of my TWs that had the tripometer I set it to zero at every fill up. I usually hit the reserve at around 75-80 miles and always figured 100 miles to be the time to find fuel. This proved to be spot on while riding with friends on mostly pavement and at speeds of an average of 50 MPH. I get much better miles when I just putt around locally at much lower speeds and have stretched a tank out to around 130 miles when just cruising by myself and enjoying the scenery. It is the same as any vehicle and if you are blasting a lot then expect less but around 100 miles per full tank seems to be a basic average.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links