Another new TW rider
Close

Another new TW rider

An introduction along with a question regarding TW parts. Been riding for nearly five years now. Up until this point it has been all street riding which I love, but I was getting an itch to try out some off road dual sport stuff and the TW seemed to be the perfect dual sport to learn on. Picked up a 2018 TW200 back in February and have been having a blast on it. I've been stalking the forums about equally as long and have been taking lots of notes on what to do with my TW and have been trying to absorb as much info as I can about this little bike. Already ordered a LED headlight to replace the stock halogen one (the days are currently pretty long up here in Alaska, but they're going to begin to get a lot shorter soon so I want a decent headlight) and a rear cargo rack from Manrack since I've been using the Tdubs to run errands around town and being able to strap stuff to the back would be nice. I've also already put some hand guards on my handlebars to protect everything when I drop the bike or in case I clip something.

I have a lot of other little mods I'd like to do to the bike, but based on what I've been reading on here I've prioritized two mods/upgrades in particular. First the front tire since apparently it is nicknamed the "death wing" when riding off road. I'm thinking of ordering the Shinko 241 since it seems to be what everyone here recommends and at $50 I'll probably order it this weekend since it is so inexpensive. The second upgrade I've been looking at is getting a X-ring chain since they seem to have a good life span (and maybe new sprockets). The issue I've been running into this is chain sizes. So far in my riding career I've only had to buy a new chain once and even then I just went to the shop and told them to swap out the chain and sprockets that my bike needed while they did some other maintenance. I've been doing a lot of research on chain sizes, but can't find anything that actually explains how to read the sizes. I guess first I would need to determine if I want/need to get new sprockets. Currently I'm riding in Kodiak, Alaska and the fastest road on our island is 55 mph so as far as I can tell the stock gearing seems to be fine, so I don't think I'll mess with the sprockets (unless someone on here says otherwise). After that I need to figure out what size chain I need on the TW. I came across a DID X-ring chain 428x122 on Amazon but I'm not sure if this is the correct size for a stock TW or if I should get something different.

So my questions are: how do I read chain sizes/what size chain do I need for a stock TW? Any other recommendations on things I should do to the bike?
    Last edited by l3ubba; 07-13-2019 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by l3ubba View Post
    An introduction along with a question regarding TW parts. Been riding for nearly five years now. Up until this point it has been all street riding which I love, but I was getting an itch to try out some off road dual sport stuff and the TW seemed to be the perfect dual sport to learn on. Picked up a 2018 TW200 back in February and have been having a blast on it. I've been stalking the forums about equally as long and have been taking lots of notes on what to do with my TW and have been trying to absorb as much info as I can about this little bike. Already ordered a LED headlight to replace the stock halogen one (the days are currently pretty long up here in Alaska, but they're going to begin to get a lot shorter soon so I want a decent headlight) and a rear cargo rack from Manrack since I've been using the Tdubs to run errands around town and being able to strap stuff to the back would be nice. I've also already put some hand guards on my handlebars to protect everything when I drop the bike or in case I clip something.

I have a lot of other little mods I'd like to do to the bike, but based on what I've been reading on here I've prioritized two mods/upgrades in particular. First the front tire since apparently it is nicknamed the "death wing" when riding off road. I'm thinking of ordering the Shinko 241 since it seems to be what everyone here recommends and at $50 I'll probably order it this weekend since it is so inexpensive. The second upgrade I've been looking at is getting a X-ring chain since they seem to have a good life span (and maybe new sprockets). The issue I've been running into this is chain sizes. So far in my riding career I've only had to buy a new chain once and even then I just went to the shop and told them to swap out the chain and sprockets that my bike needed while they did some other maintenance. I've been doing a lot of research on chain sizes, but can't find anything that actually explains how to read the sizes. I guess first I would need to determine if I want/need to get new sprockets. Currently I'm riding in Kodiak, Alaska and the fastest road on our island is 55 mph so as far as I can tell the stock gearing seems to be fine, so I don't think I'll mess with the sprockets (unless someone on here says otherwise). After that I need to figure out what size chain I need on the TW. I came across a DID X-ring chain 428x122 on Amazon but I'm not sure if this is the correct size for a stock TW or if I should get something different.

So my questions are: how do I read chain sizes/what size chain do I need for a stock TW? Any other recommendations on things I should do to the bike?
    Welcome! I, too, joined the club a few months ago and am having a blast on my Tdub. Like you also, I've started what I consider functional mods. I've done pegs, shift lever, riser, bars and bar ends.

Next up mods includes an x-ring chain. Stock is 428x122 with 14/50 sprockets. My used bike came with a 47 rear which I plan to keep as it fits my riding but I'll replace both sprockets when I replace to chain just to be certain.

As a reference, if you plug your bike into a number of sites including Rocky Mountain ATV&MC (not advocating as I've had mixed experiences), it will give you the stock parts for a number of replacements. And obviously this site is a plethora of information - search is your friend.

Enjoy!

Wecome to the forum l3ubba, and congrats on your new bike.

The TW uses a size 428 chain and the stock length is 122 links, so yes a DID X-ring chain 428x122 will work fine with the stock sprockets (14 tooth front and 50 tooth rear).

Go ahead and pull the trigger on the Shinko 241, and then just ride your bike while the weather still allows it.

Brian

p.s. I'd suggest that you order a couple of extra master links also when you order your chain

Sponosred Links