What should I upgrade to? - Page 4
Close
††††
††††
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: What should I upgrade to?

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    What are you trying do and where are you trying to go? With the exception of an interstate, this bike goes anywhere. On trails, no matter what kind of opening you get, are you going faster than 65? You can put on a stiffer spring on and stiffen up the forks and you are as good as anything else out there short of motocross racing. These are incredibly able and capable bikes. 200 cc is an excellent displacement unless you are racing. I don't get the dissatisfaction with this bike unless you want to tour or race. This bike is a killer commuter if you are not on the "I." This bike is killer on trails unless you are racing. What do you want it to do? Admittedly Steve McQueen would never have ridden one of these, For the rest of us, it works.

I just checked out the Kawasaki website, even though I'm wanting a dual sport so I can ride around town and to the trails close by... that KLX 300R looks mighty good right now with that low price
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

2009 Hummer H3T Adventure 5speed

If Steve McQueen had lived to experience the TW200 - he would have been able to get it up to 100mph on mojo alone. He was the Chuck Norris of engines!
    Trail Woman and jeepster09 like this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

places like I had mentioned in the OP, I'm already riding them but I'm bottoming out the suspension and wishing I had more power on take off and for some climbs. I'm not looking for more road or long adventure capabilities, my KLR is for that
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    what tires were you running there or what would you recommend?

and thanks for the info on the gearing
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I put the procycle spring and fork kit on and my days of bottoming out are over. The KLX 300R is a great bike. It is not an upgrade from the TW. It is a different planet. One- You are married to a gas can as you cannot put it on the street. Two- the seat height on those things has got to be 5 inches higher than the TW. They have got to cost at least $5,000.00 if not more. Again...a great machine. Many screams and smiles to the gallon. Not an upgrade. It is a great bike with altogether different purpose. My TW is faster than the KLX 300R when the cops are out and I have to ride down the street for gas. We will never know what is faster in the woods as getting out of second gear is a challenge when you are in the serious trails and sand. My suspension woes were relatively cheap and simple fixes. A dirt bike will always make an enduro look like an under powered streetweezer...because they are. If you want a dirt bike, that is a good one. It is not an upgrade from TW. It is another bike in the stable.
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 07-20-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raw7s View Post
    what tires were you running there or what would you recommend?

and thanks for the info on the gearing
    Motoz mountain hybrid on the rear and a mitas tire on the front.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDoubleUTwoHundred View Post
    the new KLX 300 looks interesting, a 2020 model.
    Unfortunately it is not offered in street version. Someone needs to make a bike like this size and power that is street legal and affordable, like the TW's are.
    "Life Member NRA"

I'm short and stocky so the TW200 is one of the very few motorcycles I've ever sat upon and felt comfortable. I have suspension upgrades planned for the future, of course - but if I could, I would love to copy TW-Brian and have myself a TW226!
    1987 Yamaha TW200

What should I upgrade to?

Iíve been riding dirt bikes for almost 30 years now but prefer single track and exploring the most and after riding KTM 450ís for years I finally downsized because as I got older and didnít ride as often the bike weight just made me tired and with my experience finesse got me further than relying on pure power.
    The KTM 350 EXC is the perfect balance of power and weight. If you can afford one thatís the bike to have for single track and street legality.

Anyone that tells you a DR or TW is in the same class as a true performance bike like the EXC hasnít ridden one.

Yes the TW is a great bike and surprisingly capable for what it is and I own one and love it but in no way shape or form would I ever choose it if I were going to ride and blast single track over a true performance bike.

As far as reliably I have had KTMís and now a Husqvarna for the last 15 years and have done nothing more than change oil and clean filters.

It all comes down to what you want out of it. If you really want to get into hardcore single track and riding hard then look at the KTM or Husqvarna 350ís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mikidymac; 08-02-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponosred Links