What should I upgrade to?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: What should I upgrade to?

What should I upgrade to?

My 2013 TW is my first motorcycle, and I've loved owning it. During my relationship with the TW I've also owned an R1, a Ninja 1000, and now currently own a KLR650 for the longer adventures. In the past year I've invested more into my TW making it more dirt worthy, which helped me discover my passion for off road riding. As we all know, even though the TW can tractor through atv kind of obstacles, it is limited off road.
    So I figure you guys would best know my starting point, and some may have experience of what would be a good next step for me.

Since I'm in Arkansas I won't be riding wide open fast desert trails, rather I'll be weaving through trees and riding forest roads. I love riding technical trails in the woods, single track, small jumps, and hill climbs. So I'm wanting a dual sport with more power(not too much like 450), same reliability(not dirtbike kind of service intervals), and similar weight(or at least feels similar weight)

Bikes I'm researching:

-Yamaha WR250R - adjustable suspension, many say heavy and under powered... are they comparing that to true off road bikes? how would it compare to my TW?

-Kawasaki KLX250 - less power than WR, power is a little bit lower in RPM, similar weight as WR

-Honda CRF250L - least power, least suspension travel, lowest seat height

-Suzuki DR-Z400 - most power, heaviest, has torque at low RPM

I appreciate any tips and advice

thumbnail_20190318_130829.jpg

64808981_10100935080589332_6327967332299702272_n.jpg
    Ken likes this.
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

2009 Hummer H3T Adventure 5speed

The_Doctor_Is_In.jpg

The Dr. Zed is the way to go.

I know some people love and swear by the Honda 250L, but those people are wrong. That bike is a pile of hot garbage. That bike is no better in any way than the TW and would not be an "upgrade". It may look better on paper, but in the real world a TW is way better.
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; 07-16-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Raw7s likes this.

I don't one but the WR250R would be what I would get. I have talked to several folks who own the WR. Extremely reliable. Not killer power but enough. One of the most bulletproof engines ever made. If you are going dirt only and no legal roads, I would get the WR250F. Very good suspension and power.

I have ridden the DRZ400. Heavy. Suspension just ok. Heavy. Power was good. but low-end didn't hit when I wanted. And It was top heavy.
    Last edited by Apolloha; 07-16-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Peterb and Raw7s like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm voting for the DRZ. Motors last a long time with proper oil changes and they need few valve adjustments. Also there is a ton of aftermarket parts for them so making it into "Your" bike is easy.
    methamphetasaur and Raw7s like this.

I road a Honda CRF250L while I was in Colorado on rocky mountain trails for about 6hrs straight. The one I was riding was not entirely stock, but not too far off. I did NOT hate it. I actually thought the power was pretty decent—it is noticeably more powerful than the TW in my opinion, and having fuel injection was quite nice.

With that said, for what you're looking to do, I'm not sure it's that much more capable overall than the TW. I don't have any experience with the other bikes on your list, and I'd normally steer towards Yamaha because I'm a YamaFanBoy. With that said, I've had the DRZ400 in mind for my next bike for a little more power for longer adventures (400 should be plenty for me). I've heard a lot of great things about them, so I guess ultimately that would be my choice. Good luck.

... are you keeping the TW, or getting rid of it to make room for the new bike?
    Raw7s likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    Fuel injection is a nice feature. If Suzuki would update the DR-Z 400 S/SM, I'd buy one.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    ... are you keeping the TW, or getting rid of it to make room for the new bike?
    I'd like to be able to keep it, it's been great to teach new riders on. I've taught 5 already, and 3 ended up getting their own bikes. But I'll probably need to sell it for the garage space and extra funds for the new bike. I'm not sure how much I could get for it because about 2,000 miles ago I low sided it on some wet pavement pretty fast and it slid into the tire of an SUV, now the rear sub frame looks a little off. I'll be sure to post it up here once I do make the decision.
    2013 TW 200

2014.5 KLR 650

2009 Hummer H3T Adventure 5speed

The WR250r is tall so if you are under 6' you would need a lowering link. I am 6'2" and with the stock seat I could just touch. I put a Corbin seat on it and could then stand flat footed.
    The stock final drive on the WR is useless. Check out the WR250r Forum for what others think and you will find many say a 45 or 46 is needed to get to the power out of the WR.
    I ran 12,13 and 14 up front with a 48 on the rear for years and then went to a 50 on the rear. At Moab this year I used 13 - 50 gearing and rode a fair bit of hard stuff (Metal Masher) and was still able to get up to over 70 mph on the rood back to camp.
    When I owned it, I rode tight, steep rooty single track with it so I needed it to be low geared. You can get all 3 front sprockets to work with one chain. When I wanted to ride with the big bike I put the 14 on. When camping and exploring I used the 13 and the 12 was for playing at Blue Mountain (aka McNutt) in Maple Ridge. Check out YouTube for videos on the area and you will appreciate what the WR can do.
    The bike will keep up with any DRZ 400 and bigger bikes on FSRs. If you gear a DRZ for more off road capability, you will loose out on the HWY.
    Currently I am using a DT200 as my TW replacement and I am considering a Scorpa T-ride (same as the Sherco X-ride) as my next tow as they are light and I like single track.

Mine is the one in front. The one in the back belong to a friend who also owned a KTM 300 2 smoke. He keeps both bike as he likes the WR for exploring (His has a 52 on the rear)

TW and WR at Moab
    Last edited by ejfranz; 07-16-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    admiral and Raw7s like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

My vote:

Suzuki DR-Z400
    "Life Member NRA"

I'd suggest a DR650. Then you can get down to just one bike that does it all and sell the KLR also.

Just sold a 2015 KLR and went to a 2013 DR 650 this spring. The difference is night and day. Lighter weight, more power, better handling and better road cruising. Was almost like riding the TW in the woods just tons more power. Sadly I had to sell in an emergency but another is on the list. Go Take one for a test ride.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links