'89 Black Widow .....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: '89 Black Widow .....

'89 Black Widow .....

Hello TW experts .......
    First time poster here who needs some opinions. I am an ADV rider owning a '17 Honda AT and an '06 BMW 650 Thumper. I'm wanting to add a TW200 to the stable and herein lies the question(s). I have a line on an '89 TW, the black widow version, low miles (<3000) and in very good to excellent condition. Asking price is $2200.00. So.. what do you think? Good price? Too high, offer less? Just looking for advise from the "pros".

Thanks
    Doug

It had better be like new for that price, IMHO.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

I think you should buy it! BTW, I had an 06 Dakar for several years.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Agreed to a price of $1800.00 subject to inspection and ride acceptance. The owner has had the stator rewound and new rectifier installed, near new tires, regular maintenance and carb cleanings. We'll see .............. Thanks

Send pics if you buy it. It's gonna' be fun!

1800 is better. I just sold my 89 with over 5K miles for 1850. In the Mid-west right now it seems they are bringing more money than the last couple years.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

A quick up date to above .......... I did purchase the bike on 07-18. It was not as pristine as advertised, I did not give asking price. But, the black and red paint scheme captured me an it found it's way in the back of my truck. I've named the bike "TB" for "therapy bike". Some people have therapy dogs, this is my therapy bike. I am retiring soon after 54 years in the work force and I plan on working my way front to back replacing/reconditioning whatever is needed. I enjoy wrenching on these TW's immensely, ...I crank up the tunes the garage and enter a world of think tank repair. I spent all my lawn mowing money as a kid on plastic models and this TW200 adventure is sort of the same thing .... just the adult version.

So ...... the engine (I believe) is very solid, no weird noises. It promptly starts and runs smooth at idle and acceleration. The tank has a few rust spots and a dent on the R side, will take take that off and repair/repaint in the dead of winter. I am running a heavy dose of Seafoam and new fuel filter presently. Basically, the bike is solid but is requiring a good dose of TLC. The more I dig into it, the more I am discovering things that are hodgepodged together. Still, in the end, I am surprised at the price of TW replacement parts as being so reasonable and for the most part, widely available.

I want to restore the bike to a very nice condition, not showroom as this bike will not be a garage queen. I purchased a hitch carrier for my Tundra and plan on using TB when I go coyote calling. I'll strap my rifle across the back rack and I'm good to go. I am looking forward to using TB for such endeavors and just putting down gravel/dirt country roads at my heart's desire.
    admiral, cateyetech, Ken and 3 others like this.

If it's good enough for Bruce Willis, it's good enough for me - just spare me the string vest .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Ken
    Congrats on the bike and have fun.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

[ATTACH=CONFIG]197IMG_0503 (1).jpg

I've replaced bearings, bushes, shoes, sprockets, chain, oil, etc .. from front to back. I just completed going through the carb and found it surprisingly cleaner than expected. I do have a quick question .... in the carb pic, here does the other end of the vacuum hose connect? (I don't have quick access to my manual at the moment).

One disturbing thing I have discovered is compression. It is being measured (hot engine) @ 90 PSI (under book specifications), doesn't make much difference by adding a few drops of oil and retest. So, that's sort of bummer news. Live and learn, I should have performed the test prior to purchase. So ............ I guess a winter project in the making for new rings and maybe a piston? I think (?) the bottom end is good, no weird noises or bad vibrations.

I did take the Africa Twin out for a ride yesterday. I learned quickly that one must make a mental note to not throw the twin around like the TW. I got along fine, just caught myself throwing a little more top heavy weight than expected a few times. Anyhow, ride safe friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links