Resurection complete, 2007 w/582 miles, sitting 5 years, runs like a top!
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By FIRE UP
  • 3 Post By FIRE UP
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS

Thread: Resurection complete, 2007 w/582 miles, sitting 5 years, runs like a top!

Resurection complete, 2007 w/582 miles, sitting 5 years, runs like a top!

Hey gang,
    Well, some of you have commented, helped, and advised with my questions on our recently purchased, highly neglected, severely mistreated and ravaged 2007 TW 200. It had no battery, severely rusted tank, missing passenger foot pegs and mounting brackets, missing chain guard, missing chain guide, seat bolts, tool kit, missing both mirrors, second key, owners manual and, a completely broken off right rear turn signal and a broken front brake lever.

Well, except for the replacement of the owners manual (paper edition, have one on the computer), the second key and the tool kit, I've replaced or repaired all that was needed. De-rusted the tank, disassembled the carb and, a new spark plug and boot, new oil and filter, air filter and a new set of sprockets, 14 front and 50 rear. I've taken it out twice now for some local jaunts here and there. So far, I've put a whopping 30 miles on it. And it runs like a champ. It idles just fine, no oddness, no hesitation, no stumbling, nothing. It's a bit warm here in Lake Havasu City AZ at this time a year so, my "jaunts" are at 06:00 in the morning. It's running about 85 degrees at this time in the morning but, still very pleasant to ride, even if it is all around town. But, I'm having a ball on this "Blue Noid".

Even for 12 year old tires, it's riding down the road pretty good. Probably gonna look up some new ones in the near future. After riding a GL 1800 Goldwing and riding only it for several years, to say the least, this little TW is something to get a bit used to. But, I know it's limitations and capabilities so, as long as I know and understand those two traits, me and the Noid's gonna get along just peachey.
    Scott

IMG_1009.JPGIMG_1007.JPG
    Last edited by FIRE UP; 07-17-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Errtu, upnovr and socalnative like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    Looks like your hard work has paid off. Hope you enjoy your bike.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Great resurection. The TW is a little tractor farm bike, and that's a good thing. Easy to understand and work on, and just an honest bike to ride. Have fun! Ride well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It feels pretty good giving these bikes a second life. Congrats!!! I think it’s earned some new tires. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

Great work. Awesome.

12 year old tires?! Wouldn't those more or less be shite just based on their age and sitting? I guess if they were well maintained and kept indoors they might be okay, but based on the neglect you started from ... I'd be changing out those tires right away
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    Great work. Awesome.

12 year old tires?! Wouldn't those more or less be shite just based on their age and sitting? I guess if they were well maintained and kept indoors they might be okay, but based on the neglect you started from ... I'd be changing out those tires right away
    Ya know,
    While this bike had a very poor adolescence, I really don't know just how and where it was stored for the time frame it was in-op. I'm gonna assume that, based on it's looks and potential damage that the elements can do, that it was stored INSIDE some place, a garage, shed, outhouse, who knows. But, the tires are actually in pretty good shape. But, as you and I both stated, they are 12 years old so, yes, safety wise, it's time to start hunting for some new ones.

I thanks all the rest of you for your nice comments. It's a great little bike. I just took another 05:45 A.M. ride this morning for about 15 miles in our little town. When I got back, of course the engine was HOT but, I wanted to change that oil again, even though it's only got about 30 miles on it. I don't know if there's potential build up for sludge or any other contaminates due to the long term sitting but, a couple of oil changes back-to-back surely ain't gonna hurt anything. I bought a 4-pack of filters and, got some Walmart 10W-40 so, I'm good to go for quite a while. Thanks again for all the nice encouragement.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Good work. Do you have a Frankenstein picture you can post next to the Resurrection pic?

Make sure it’s wet clutch oil. And the metal mesh oil filters are reusable. Make sure they have four holes for oil flow. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by upnovr View Post
    Good work. Do you have a Frankenstein picture you can post next to the Resurrection pic?
    upovr,
    Well, yeah, I do have some individual pics of many of the "issues" that were on the bike when we first picked it up about 3 weeks ago. I'll see if I can post them.
    Scott
    MDG_2789_Moment(3).jpgMDG_2789_Moment(5).jpgMDG_2789_Moment(7).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Make sure it’s wet clutch oil. And the metal mesh oil filters are reusable. Make sure they have four holes for oil flow. Cheers
    Yes Sir,
    I goofed up and got 4 quarts of 10W-40 instead of 20W-40 like the book recommends. But, I think it's gonna be fine. Primarily because the first 30 miles I put on it after the resurrection, was with the same type/viscosity oil and, it ran just fine. I might try and take back the other 3 quarts and trade them for 20W-40. But, basically, it's the same oil I use in our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. As long as it does not say: "Energy Conserving", it's good to go.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

The book recommends 20w40? I've been using 10w40 in both my TW's for 9 years with no problems....I would not use 20W40 unless I lived in the desert and rode above 100 degrees all the time. But then that's where you live....there really isn't much difference so you could use up the 10W40 or save it for oil changes in the winter. Given the bikes history, a few oil changes at about 100 mile intervals could not hurt. I would carefully look at the drained oil for both color and metal....drain into a pan and take it out into bright sunshine....any little reflective flakes means continue changing at short intervals. Of course examination of the oil filter provides valuable information also. This is why I re-use the OEM plain brass filter for years...it is easier to see what the level of contaminants is.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sponosred Links