Hitch carrier on Subaru forester with TW - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hitch carrier on Subaru forester with TW

I've hauled my TW200 on a hitch carrier on my 2015 Subaru Forester. No problem with my trip. Watch driveways into/out of stores, gas stations and such. It did sag the rear, raising my headlights, but nothing that was dangerous in the execution.
    The bear slayer!

I had a friend haul my TW from NYC to his house in NJ for similar reasons, I didn't want to bring a trailer and only had room for one bike (and it wasn't the TW). So he bought it home to bring in his enclosed trailer.

He showed up with a Subaru with a VersaHaul carrier which as folks know that have them:
    1) they are the best you can buy
    2) they by themselves are HEAVY AS HELL even without the bike on it.

We loaded the TW and to say the least... it was not pretty. I'll see if I can have him send me a picture of it.
    Rhodetrip likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

IMG_2490.JPG

LOL don't try this one!!!
    Fred likes this.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

BTW, I got a buddy that carries his TW200 on the hitch of his Suzuki Samurai. Even has a spare tire he has to clear. Seems to work. Maybe he'll see this and post a photo.
    The bear slayer!

Have wondered if I could put a hitch on my gf's impreza hatchback, just not sure it's really got the power for all that tongue weight.
    2018 TW200 - My First Hidden Content

It has plenty of power to tow small things (Imprezza looks to be ~2000lbs), but it doesn't have the subframe rigidity to carry a major load off that hitch receiver. Towing is pulling, hitch carriers are all tongue weight and you have to factor in distance from where they would have rated its tongue capacity for.

For example (values approximated), if the rated tongue weight on your car is 500lbs, they're rating that for their stock tow hitch at say 4in back from the receiver. If you stick a motorcycle carrier in there, the load is going to be at least 16in (4x, or more) that distance since you can't carry the full weight of the bike right up next to the car. A gentleman named Archimedes figured out a long time ago that the further out on a lever you impart force, that the effective force at the fulcrum was multiplied by the distance, while its effective range was divided. So 500lbs at 4in from the hitch and 125lbs at 16in from the hitch are the same load. Trying to carry 300lbs of motorcycle 16in from the hitch is 2.4 times the vehicles rated tongue load -if- your hitch carrier is super slim at 16" from the hitch. At 24" or so (which is closer to what my carrier looks like) it's closer to 3.6 times a rated 500lb tongue load.

Then you have to consider it's not a static load. The vehicle is moving, and the more it bobs up and down, the more that load is going to be multiplied. With an overloaded suspension that isn't designed to cope with that much weight to the rear, the bobbing is going to be even more pronounced, and if you happen to bottom out the shock load from that would be orders of magnitude more than the rated tongue capacity.

The short answer is, tow it, and load your trailer properly so that the load is biased about 55/45 toward the front/tongue of the trailer. That will give you an entirely reasonable tongue loading with good tow manners, and any stresses involved will be accounted for by the vehicles design at or below its rated tow capacity. You won't exceed 2000lbs with a small trailer and a TW.
    oatmealx, vivrance, Fred and 2 others like this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    The short answer is, tow it, and load your trailer properly so that the load is biased about 55/45 toward the front/tongue of the trailer. That will give you an entirely reasonable tongue loading with good tow manners, and any stresses involved will be accounted for by the vehicles design at or below its rated tow capacity. You won't exceed 2000lbs with a small trailer and a TW.
    littletommy likes this.
    2018 TW200 - My First Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    It has plenty of power to tow small things (Imprezza looks to be ~2000lbs), but it doesn't have the subframe rigidity to carry a major load off that hitch receiver. Towing is pulling, hitch carriers are all tongue weight and you have to factor in distance from where they would have rated its tongue capacity for.

For example (values approximated), if the rated tongue weight on your car is 500lbs, they're rating that for their stock tow hitch at say 4in back from the receiver. If you stick a motorcycle carrier in there, the load is going to be at least 16in (4x, or more) that distance since you can't carry the full weight of the bike right up next to the car. A gentleman named Archimedes figured out a long time ago that the further out on a lever you impart force, that the effective force at the fulcrum was multiplied by the distance, while its effective range was divided. So 500lbs at 4in from the hitch and 125lbs at 16in from the hitch are the same load. Trying to carry 300lbs of motorcycle 16in from the hitch is 2.4 times the vehicles rated tongue load -if- your hitch carrier is super slim at 16" from the hitch. At 24" or so (which is closer to what my carrier looks like) it's closer to 3.6 times a rated 500lb tongue load.

Then you have to consider it's not a static load. The vehicle is moving, and the more it bobs up and down, the more that load is going to be multiplied. With an overloaded suspension that isn't designed to cope with that much weight to the rear, the bobbing is going to be even more pronounced, and if you happen to bottom out the shock load from that would be orders of magnitude more than the rated tongue capacity.

And as much as I like my Subaru its "frame is slightly thicker than a popcan. I'm exagerating but the point being that that metal is easy to destroy and expensive to repair. Lowes has often trailers capable of MC carrying that are like 600 summolians and a much better idea.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

Looks like I overestimated the tongue rating on the Subarus, by a factor of 2.5. At least if using the 2019 Outback as a gauge.

https://www.garavelsubaru.com/2019-s...utback-towing/
    Trailer Hitch: 200 pounds tongue weight and 2,700 pounds towing capacity
    And a more general reference for class types:
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

FWIW, I believe the tow capacity for a Subaru CVT is 1500 lbs, and probably 150 Ibs tongue weight. Was considering one a while back, but passed since I frequently tow a 2000 lbs trailer. Decided to keep the Outback with the 4-speed.
    2015 TW200 "The Police Bike"
    2007 TW200 "My Little Thumper"
    1989 FZR400R...I'm getting too old for this $hit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links