Hitch carrier on Subaru forester with TW
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hitch carrier on Subaru forester with TW

Hitch carrier on Subaru forester with TW

I am moving and I need to drive 550 miles to get to the ferry. I want to bring my TW and my subaru forester. I don't want to trailer because they are very expensive to put on a ferry. Has anyone used a motorcycle hitch carrier with the TW? I think the weight limit is 250 lbs and the bike plus carrier would be 300lbs.

What are your thoughts?

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

GOF
    I wouldn't worry too much about the bike on the carrier. As long as it is properly secured. Lots of information out there on that.
    I would think the only concern would be the car handling the weight. Maybe get 350 pounds of sandbags. Put them as far back in the car as you can and see how it handles.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

And if it handles poorly ^^^^; when you then put the bike on the carrier - put the sandbags in the front passenger seat to even out the load and get your steering back!
    Fred likes this.

The Subaru Forester does not have a hitch designed to carry that much weight.
    nihil likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Honestly I wouldn't want to overload the tongue weight on the smaller 1-1/4" hitch receivers found on Subarus. I'm not even sure you'd find a suitable hitch carrier with that small a neck on it. I did see a 1-1/4" to the more common 2" adapter at O'Reilley the other day, but no way in hell I'd use one for more than carrying a couple bicycles. It might be a better/safer idea to trailer it.
    grewen likes this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

GOF
    If it has a 1 1/4 inch receiver I don't think I'd chance it.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200

I understand this is not ideal and it will be for one time or emergency use only. The subaru does have a 2 inch hitch receiver. My wife will be with me. If the road starts to look very bad, construction, frost heaves, I can hop on it and ride for a while. I just don't want to ride the tw for 550 miles in high elevations.

Last post seems like a reasonable approach to safely deal with the move within the given restraints. Budgeting a little extra travel time might also be wise. flat,800x800,070,f.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I called the Ferry and sure enough it is only $10 more to bring a trailer vs ride the motorcycle. I will trailer it down. I spent a few hours researching it and hearing your opinions I will pass. If I ever get enough money to buy a big tundra or similar then I might try the hitch carrier but till then I will pass.
    buellzebub, GOF, goldenhtr and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links