Any Ways to Quiet a TW200? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Any Ways to Quiet a TW200?

There used to be a device called a dB Snorkel that acted as a secondary muffler. I also vaguely recall someone using an ATV muffler or something like that after the stock muffler. Definitely would be cool to have one if it doesn't kill the power output, or if you could put it on and take it off without jetting changes.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

can't you just start it away from the house?
    Last edited by grewen; 08-08-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDoubleUTwoHundred View Post
    I guess the problem I have is cool morning temps (5ºC - 10ºC / 41ºF - 50ºF). I have to let the bike warm-up under full and half choke.

I'm going to try the 45º 3/4" elbow first, then try Rocky TFS's method of fibreglass packing if necessary.

I never thought I would try and quiet an engine...

Thanks for the replies!
    Just start the bike and start riding. It will never be as quiet as an electric bike, and the stock setup is already very quiet as far as db levels are concerned. It's good that you have concern for your neighbors opinion of you, I am the same. BUT, I also have neighbors who mow at 8:30pm, and their mowers are MUCH louder than my motorcycle, for about an hour, right next door. I also have neighbors who put their trash to the street at 5am on trash day because they forgot to do it the night before, and the wheeled plastic trash bin is loud on driveways. And I have neighbors with kids that shriek for fun at any hour of the day, for fun... And I mean shriek. Sure the parents yell at them to stop it but....A motorcycle is nowhere near as obnoxious as these other regular neighborhood activities.

I have an across the street neighbor who has a Harley, it is not the loudest bike nor the quietest, he starts it and leaves for work at 6am, when the weather will be nice. He sometimes does the bar run with his buds, and comes back way after dark. It's life.

I haven't had a complaint about my bike yet, and probably never will, because we all understand someone can't throw the first "stone". If someone complains, it's game over and everyone is guilty in some way of "transgressing" against their neighbors. Dogs barking for hours outside, kids running into the street without checking, gas powered trimmers (the worst), one guy working on his house until midnight two weeks straight, power tools , table saw and all. Jeez.

The TW is a very quiet bike. Just ride.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    A copper 45° elbow slipped over the end of the muffler, pointed down. Put some flat black paint on it and it looks normal. I'm not at all the first to do this.
    seems too simple, but it knocked 5dB off my bike... (and increased HP by 5!)
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    A copper 45° elbow slipped over the end of the muffler, pointed down. Put some flat black paint on it and it looks normal. I'm not at all the first to do this.
    seems too simple, but it knocked 5dB off my bike... (and increased HP by 5!)
    Be careful with this mod. It may be more than 5 hp. I've heard of people shredding the rear tire after that mod. Also breaking the chain if you ever get traction.
    jtomelliott49 and grewen like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Anyone use the DG quiet inserts?....rejet in order if installed?
    2004 TW200

The comments about use of higher gears is informative but the Original Poster TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's question was about limiting the noise emissions during warming up, likely in neutral.

Certainly a copper 3/4" elbow helped my exhaust note. I tried a 1" elbow for awhile but thought it actually made things a bit louder so removed it. My other TW features a secondary muffler welded behind the OEM silencer, it marginally helps reduce sound at idle but I feel it is not worth the effort.

Certainly things like the db Snorkel can help but they are pricey and a quasi-permanent installation.db download.jpeg

However for just a few dollars one can get 5 to 10 feet or more of some very thin wall tubing to slip over end of OEM exhuast just for the warm up period. Discharge end can go outside directed away fro household. It really works as each exhaust pulse flutters down the tubing dissipating in intensity. Get the thinist wall possible like the drain lines for swimming pools. Warm up is usually not needed for me O.P's warm up is likely short enough that there is no damaging heat build up to the tubing.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    What about having a length of tube/pipe and attach that to a small inlet car muffler? I was thinking any cheap 4 cylinder car muffler should do the trick, or would something from the 6/8 cylinder world be better at suppressing the sound?
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

I recommend a small potato.
    Or a carrot...
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

A half foot piece of tube (or a can with a hole punched in the bottom) loosely packed with furnace insulation works really well when just slipped on during warm up.
    I had a DG pipe on mine and after the neighbors started complaining I made one to use while warming up.
    TS185
    2006 TW200
    2003 Super Sherpa 250
    64 CB160

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links