Any Ways to Quiet a TW200?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Any Ways to Quiet a TW200?

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar

Any Ways to Quiet a TW200?

Afternoon,

I'd like to get my bike as quiet as possible. I usually ride early AM and I find with the warm-up, the bike is a little too loud (wakes up my household). Are there any solutions? Or should I just start up and gently creep away?

Thanks for reading.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

The stock muffler is already a total peashooter, if that's too loud than I would probably be looking into something electric. I'm not really aware of any aftermarket mufflers that would be quieter than a stock one. Fire sale on Alta's now.....

My only real suggestion would be to make a little insulated "cap" you could temporarily slip over the muffler- a snippet of suitably sized PVC pipe lined with muffler packing you could just slip over. Loose enough it doesn't plug up the outlet, but should considerably stifle the note. When you're ready to go just remove it and set off.

If you're starting it in the garage (attached to house), do it outside and shut the door. I've noticed at my parent's house when my mom starts her 50cc 4 stroke Vino scooter (which sounds like absolutely nothing) in the garage, a low rumble is audible pretty much anywhere in the house, it sounds way louder than it really is. Do it outside and of course the noise stops.

OSHAWA, ONTARIO, FASCISTVILLE (I MEAN CANADA).
    Use a higher gear and low rpm when leaving and arriving. I rolled up on some buddies in 3rd with the engine basically idling the drivetrain along. They didn't hear me at all. The were drunk though...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

GOF
    I used to live in a trailer park. 10 1/2 MPH speed limit. I was riding in in first gear and the lady down the street kept telling me to slow down. Started riding into the park in second going faster and she never bitched again. It wasn't a matter of how fast I was going. But rather her perception of my speed based on the sound she was hearing.

So just be mindful of your throttle usage. Maybe start out easier and/or up shift a bit sooner. Coast to the end of the driveway if possible. I really don't think you'll quiet this bike down much. If you did I would expect adverse effects on performance.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

This worked quite well for me: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...muffler-4.html
    Post # 39

And the follow up: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...t-muffler.html

Use some masking tape cut into four 1/4 inch wide strands instead of SS wire. They will burn up and the fiberglass will expand.

I pulled up right behind a tree feller who was pouring gas into his saw last week and he didn't hear me until I shut off and said Hello in a loud voice! He probably had ear plugs in, though.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

"Use a higher gear and low rpm..."

Yes...but don't "lug" it.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Put a DG pipe on it. Get on it every morning and night. Wait for everyone to complain. Then put the stock pipe back on and ask if this is better.
    Errtu, Cascade Rider, Mel and 4 others like this.

Yeah, I have a DG now, it's a tad too loud for neighborhood love.
    2004 TW200

A copper 45° elbow slipped over the end of the muffler, pointed down. Put some flat black paint on it and it looks normal. I'm not at all the first to do this.

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    I guess the problem I have is cool morning temps (5ºC - 10ºC / 41ºF - 50ºF). I have to let the bike warm-up under full and half choke.

I'm going to try the 45º 3/4" elbow first, then try Rocky TFS's method of fibreglass packing if necessary.

I never thought I would try and quiet an engine...

Thanks for the replies!
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links