Best instead of backpack?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Best instead of backpack?

Best instead of backpack?

Just wondering, aside from the gear strapped to your bike for day trips or longer, do any of you use vests instead of backpacks? Something like the Klim Arsenal Vest?

KLIM Arsenal Vest (Tan) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGW7R5X..._BzZsDbVMYJ83P

If so, do you like it? Any backdraws to a vest vs backpack as a rider?

I actually found some similar fishing vests I’m going to order and compare to see if they prove better than a standard backpack.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Hmm. To date I either where a jacket or armor when I ride, so I have never really considered the vest. Backpacks have generally worked pretty well for me if I have to take more than just a few items. That vest on Amazon is pretty pricey! I mean you could get a nice backpack with a Camelbak in it for significantly cheaper than the cost of that vest I would think?

Also, I do have a little bag I strap to the Manracks rack on my TW, and that works for most things. So between that and my jacket pockets, I have seen no need for something like a vest. If I am going on a longer ride I am strapping things to the back regardless.

Good luck making your decision.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    Hmm. To date I either where a jacket or armor when I ride, so I have never really considered the vest. Backpacks have generally worked pretty well for me if I have to take more than just a few items. That vest on Amazon is pretty pricey! I mean you could get a nice backpack with a Camelbak in it for significantly cheaper than the cost of that vest I would think?

Also, I do have a little bag I strap to the Manracks rack on my TW, and that works for most things. So between that and my jacket pockets, I have seen no need for something like a vest. If I am going on a longer ride I am strapping things to the back regardless.

Good luck making your decision.
    Oh I agree, super expensive for some storage space... but I started thinking what vests out there were similar, and trying to leave as much of my army career as I can in the past and avoid tactical stuff... I stumbled across new style of fishing vests... these are not the canvas bags they used to be...

Anglatech Fly Fishing Backpack Vest Combo Chest Pack for Tackle Gear and Accessories, Includes Water Bladder, Adjustable Size for Men and Women https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017J75PLK..._mCZsDbA9ANVMA

This one is pricey too, but I ordered a couple others to compare in the 30-40 dollar range. We shall see...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I guess this would all depend upon what you need to carry in such packs. The Scotty Vest has all sorts of pockets and compartments but I have never seen one for inspection. My many fishing vests and even a few fishing/vest/life jackets have lots of storage but I would not wear them for riding. I did have a nice magnetic mount tank bag made by GIVI that was also a backpack with straps when off the tank.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I like to spread out the weight to various locations on myself and the bike as to not weigh down any one area too much. There are also some other bags you can strap to your TW.

Tank bags

Front or rear fender bag

Molle bag systems make it so you can can transfer bags from being strapped to your tank to strapped to your backpack or vest. It's a great modular system if you're not stunting on your bike. Otherwise something more contained might be preferred.

I carry "soft" items in my backpack (in case of a crash I don't want hard items jamming into my back, ie tools, etc.). It's nothing fancy and it works well. I plan to get a rack to carry "hard" items.
    Trail Woman and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2017 TW200 - No mods to date.

I like the vest idea. But seems only time I need to carry that much stuff is when hiking. Then a day pack works best for me. On the bike I have a rack and panniers and a front bag. Enough room for the ten essentials, tools extra gas if needed, etc. Same here, in case of crash, don't want anything hard on me to inflict injury

Vests offer convenient access , especially for bulky items like firearms, cameras, comm & navigation units. However after getting month long painful camera and cell shaped bruises on my rib cage from trail riding tip overs I am reluctant to recommend hard item storage on front torso without some sort of back-up armoring plate.
    For the ~$180 for the KLM tactical Arsenal Vest with two built-in holster pouches I feel the lack of back-up plates is rather negligent.
    jtomelliott49 and Trail Woman like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Vests offer convenient access , especially for bulky items like firearms, cameras, comm & navigation units. However after getting month long painful camera and cell shaped bruises on my rib cage from trail riding tip overs I am reluctant to recommend hard item storage on front torso without some sort of back-up armoring plate.
    For the ~$180 for the KLM tactical Arsenal Vest with two built-in holster pouches I feel the lack of back-up plates is rather negligent.
    I think that’s a more-than-fair assessment. I’m not really cool with the price vs what you get with the Klim vests, and regarding your getting-in-touch-with-technology experience... I wonder if whatever vest I settle on, I could buy some CE rated armor or some sheets of impact foam, cut and have them sewn in behind the front and back panels.

I like my ribs imprint free...

Quote Originally Posted by TWBigBlake View Post
    I think that’s a more-than-fair assessment. I’m not really cool with the price vs what you get with the Klim vests, and regarding your getting-in-touch-with-technology experience... I wonder if whatever vest I settle on, I could buy some CE rated armor or some sheets of impact foam, cut and have them sewn in behind the front and back panels.

I like my ribs imprint free...
    If you look a lot of the motorcycle armoured jackets, they basically have mesh pockets in which the armour is placed (easily removed for cleaning, etc.). I'm sure a seamstress could easily do the job.
    2017 TW200 - No mods to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links