Something every one of us should read and heed!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Something every one of us should read and heed!

Something every one of us should read and heed!

https://www.boatingmag.com/e15-gas-i...m_medium=email

Now I have to ask, if E-15 is so bad for these boat engines then how is E-10 any better or even just OK?
    I would love to see some pistons and connecting rods from car engines designed to use the E-15.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Mio
    Depends on the tank, e.g. fiberglass material, and older plastic/rubber lines in the fuel system. The jump from E10 to E15 is probably significant for some, hence the ruckus. I would just pay more attention to what you're running whenever you make any change, for pinging and stuff like that, plus the degradation of the lines and seals. There are people who say that it ruins fuel pumps in their cars as well, but with newer model vehicles their systems are designed accordingly to newly implemented regulations so the main thing the majority would maybe notice is the engine running a little leaner. Although I also suspect a large percentage of people assume every option at the gas station is OK for their car, and don't read the fine print (or anything about their car, ever). So they'll overlook things such as letting the fuel sit for long periods of time. The rest of us know it's hydroscopic and a solvent.
    I heard that in Brazil, ethanol level mixture is a lot higher, and they run it in older cars as well as ones that aren't flex-fuel. Hmm....
    Darth and Ken like this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    2007 Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by Mio View Post
    Depends on the tank, e.g. fiberglass material, and older plastic/rubber lines in the fuel system. The jump from E10 to E15 is probably significant for some, hence the ruckus. I would just pay more attention to what you're running whenever you make any change, for pinging and stuff like that, plus the degradation of the lines and seals. There are people who say that it ruins fuel pumps in their cars as well, but with newer model vehicles their systems are designed accordingly to newly implemented regulations so the main thing the majority would maybe notice is the engine running a little leaner. Although I also suspect a large percentage of people assume every option at the gas station is OK for their car, and don't read the fine print (or anything about their car, ever). So they'll overlook things such as letting the fuel sit for long periods of time. The rest of us know it's hydroscopic and a solvent.
    I heard that in Brazil, ethanol level mixture is a lot higher, and they run it in older cars as well as ones that aren't flex-fuel. Hmm....
    MIO, The entire point of my post and this article from real life testing by a manufacturer was to show that ETHANOL is NFG for any engine and I honestly don't care what engine you use the garbage in. If you must because you have no other choice than go ahead and use what you have. If in fact you have a choice then pay the price for NON E fuels. Plastics, rubbers, fiberglass and aluminum don't fare well with ethanol and I honestly don't care what engines they are in. It is federally ILLEGAL to use E-15 in boats and you will not find Ethanol laced fuels at any airports as far as I have seen. Planes tend to fall out of the sky when their engines quit! My point is use it if you must but avoid it if you can.

GaryL
    MtnMan75, goldenhtr and WECSOG like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mio
    I think I got that, GaryL. I do fill up my TW and gas can with non-ethanol, but truth is, there really isn't that many places that offer pure gas. I'm just lucky to be living around marinas here. Some car manuals even state not to use more than 10% ethanol, but people have been using it and they probably don't even feel a difference in performance or mileage. Is output better for the environment? Perhaps a little, but production costs for ethanol additives are still a lot, I believe. They'll do what they can to get the cheapest gas. I'm not educated on this topic so I won't say anything other than older motor vehicles are negatively affected by it.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    2007 Porsche Cayman

Really wish we had a place close by.... I've got no choice like many but to use E10. Biggest problem we have now is no politician is ever going to go into certain areas and as part of their campaign promises include stopping the use of ethanol. One reason I wish the Iowa caucus was last on the list instead of first for stumping. I don't think we'll ever get rid of this nonsense now. I can tell you from experience with my Tundra my mileage goes up with a tank of Non E by almost 1 mpg (which is a lot for that truck). I've only been able to find that out on roads trip that take me far from the Western end of MD. And it is comparable driving when I've done it. All interstate driving and resetting the counter from one tank to the next. 16.5 mpg to 17.4 mpg both times (going by the dash computer) and I can feel a difference in response from the engine. The gas caps on our '16 Tundra and Tacoma both state nothing higher than 10%.

Ken
    I think you are correct about the seals, lines and rubber in the system. The link above makes it look like it will ruin all internal combustion engines. According to the damage they're showing you would need different pistons, rings, seals and rods. I remember reading an article where a guy switched his carburetors to run E85. His biggest adjustment was that the BTU is so low on the E85 that he had to put HUGE jets in the carbs and his tank went empty very quickly. I also have a neighbor who buys and sells Hyosung motorcycles. He converts many to E85, the speed junkies like it because the bikes run faster. They don't care about the range on the tank since they are out to make a quick run. He likes these bikes because they are fuel injected and simply changes the ECU programming to make them run correctly. I would rather run less alcohol but I guess it can be ran with less issues if tuned correctly and the correct alcohol tolerant parts, seals, lines, tanks, hoses, fuel pumps etc are used. If it were widely available real gas is all I would use.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-15-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

GOF
    What city are you in MtnMan75? Check it out on Pure-gas.org
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200

I run premium exclusively because it has less ethanol than the other varieties

Quote Originally Posted by NumberThree View Post
    I run premium exclusively because it has less ethanol than the other varieties
    That is like choosing filtered cigs over regular cigs. You are still getting the bad stuff.
    NumberThree likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Accordingly, they claim 10% ethanol is OK but 15% is a no no in most vehicles. Based on this then one would have to surmise that just 5% or 0% of ethanol would be best. Ethanol in and of itself is nothing more than a basic subsidy to the corn farmers who are now dependent on the sale of their crops for the sole purpose of the fuel refineries. I do get the principal behind the demand however I don't see in any studies where ethanol is either less expensive or more environmentally safe. IMO ethanol comes with both advantages and disadvantages and the jury is still out if one outweighs the other. I will say in your boat you should avoid it at all costs if at all possible. In your other small engines subject to infrequent use such as a chain saw, weed eater or rototiller and absolutely in a standby home generator that only gets used in emergencies I would avoid it all together. Go to your local fuel supplier, not the gas station, the place that sells home heating oil, propane and other fuels they deliver and demand that they carry non E gas for use in off road motors such as boats, older vehicles, and all small engines. That is what we did here and now we have 2 gas stations that carry non e at the pumps and the supplier is called Combined Energy Services and has separate pumps for non e, off road diesel for tractors and K-1 Kerosene. Go ask your local small engine sales and repair place what they think about ethanol fuel! A couple of the repair shops here love the stuff simply because every spring they get lots of new repair business that keeps them working and making money.

GaryL
    GOF, jtstdub, MtnMan75 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links