TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

I think the bear scared the seal out of Squirrel.

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
I'm posting this XT200 issue in the TW area because it may be something for you too watch out for in the future. I've not seen this happen nor remember hearing it here on the forum.

Got back from a ride and Squirrel was bleeding.

Removed the necessary pieces for inspection and this is what I found. The sprocket oil seal had slipped out of the engine case. For picture reasons I placed it back on the sprocket shaft but this is very similar to what it looked like when I removed the sprocket. I had also cleaned the seal so it looks good in the picture.

...and this is what's behind door #1. Or should I say oil seal #1. Still had oil in the engine but I'll change the oil or whats left of it just to make sure there isn't any/much metal from lack of oil. Engine was still running strong when I got home.

On the positive side my chain was well lubed. Who needs a Scott Oiler System anyway.

See less See more
#2 ·
Guess I'll be the first to ask... what's with that hammer? :)

Reactions: Trail Woman
#3 ·
What? Admiral is known for his hammers. My guess he was just being cheeky in his post.

Reactions: grewen
#8 ·
Good idea, I’ll have to check that out. Kinda wondering what would cause a seal to basically just fall out. Perhaps it had help as you suggest. Thanks Greg.

#9 ·
Already taken to far apart. My thought before I took it apart was just a worn seal and how difficult it would be to remove the old seal. Guess I don’t have to worry about the removal part.

#10 ·
My guess is who ever put the seal in did a half a$$ job and it just vibrated out.

If the new seal goes in hard, as in with the usual amount of resistance, it should all be OK. I don't see "blow by" knocking the seal out if it were the correct seal installed correctly. Does the shift shaft seal look good? That seal is also subjected to the same pressures.

#12 ·
I hate seals. They steal your bait. I'm happy when sharks eat 'em.
Oh! Them kinda seals, duh! Should've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Guess I'll go have a V8.

Reactions: grewen and admiral
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.