How does the TW200 compare to other 250cc bikes offroad
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I'm curious how the tw200 compares to the xt250,klx250s,dr200se,crf250l

all these bikes are in the same general price range and my last post told the that the tw200 isn't that solid for highway use

now I'm curious how much better the tw200 is in the off road category.

Out of the bikes mentioned the only two bikes that interest me is the crf250l and the dr200se.

Also I'm probably going to buy brand new if that helps make a decision because all the bikes are generally the same price excluding the klx.

The traction of the TW tires offroad is quite amazing, but the suspension in stock form leaves a bit to be desired. I can't speak for the other bikes, which may be better sprung, but the TW lacks a bit in that department without some tuning.

The stock gearing on the TW lends itself quite well to riding offroad as well, but whoever told you it lacks a bit on the highway, well, they're right: secondary roads with 55mph speed limits are fine, but the freeway/interstate would be a lot too much for the bike. Some people seem to have good luck doing it, though.

The fact that the TW has a reasonably low seat height, good gearing, and really decent traction makes it a great choice for offroad use. All of the bikes you mentioned (including the TW) can be built to do much better on or offroad, depending on your preference. The factory configuration is a compromise, attempting to get the best of both worlds, and they don't always hit the mark with their compromise.
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

Pretty subjective question and I bet you'll get alot of response. All depends on your riding ability, experience and how you ride.

All of those 250/200 Dual Sports have way more suspension and brakes than the TW. Depending on the rider, they will all outperform the TW.

The TW advantage is that it has a much lower stance than the others. Makes it much much easier to ride on or off road.

The large tires make it easy to find traction and more than make up for a lack of "trail knowhow"

For the neophyte rider the TW will inspire condfidence and it will outperform the the others for that reason.

For experienced riders the TW allows one to "enjoy the ride" over getting there faster. I wouldn't have tolerated a TW when

I was under 30. Waay too slow. Theses days at age 50, the TW is my unit of choice offroad.

For strictly pavement use the low factor of the TW is again quite nice. The other bikes would be marginally better onroad due to more power and

better brakes, but only marginal. Really IMHO highway speeds require 400cc for me to feel "safe", 1000cc for me to enjoy. Disclaimer: I ride one of my TW's

routinely 40 miles at highway speeds and really enjoy it but I don't feel "safe" (prolly why I like it)

The other factor might be I suspect the TW may be the easiest to maintain of the herd, but not really sure.

All fine choices, You'll not make a bad decision unless you bail on motorcycles all together.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The TW is a street legal trail bike, the others are streel legal dirt bikes.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    The TW is a street legal trail bike, the others are streel legal dirt bikes.
    can you explain to me the difference? trail meaning a "road" but without concrete and dirt being no path at all?

btw thats an awesome quote

Dual post

TW200, No road? No trail? No problem. I'm sure others can explain it better than I can, dirt riders seem to want speed, old farts like me on a trail bike could care less about speed, or pavement, or roads. It's an apples and oranges thing, either one will make you grin. At this stage in my riding life, I'll happily trade power and speed for a low seat and traction.

tw is not at all designed to race or even go fast off road, but it can go anywhere and it looks neat. a real race-minded dirt bike like a KTM for instance will destroy the TW in every way. none of the bikes you listed are great on the highway either btw, I'd take the tw over any of them, theyre like neutered motocross bikes while the tw isnt trying to be a mx bike at all. get a 400cc or better if you want to cruise at 65+ I'd say. could just get an xr650 and you'll be more than fine on the highway & have a great off road bike & never have to buy another one again. tw for me is great bc it's so light it's awesome for zooming in and out of traffic in town & if I dump it it's ok bc the tw is bulletproof, very simple engine to learn about and work on too and (seriously) the tw forum is awesome. guy I work with said buy a bike with a "cult following" bc it will have a great online discussion group and you'll always get great advice about your bike, the tw has that.
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

If you are exploring the TW is better than the others

If you are going on well used trails they might be better

When I ride on trails with others I can go every bit as fast as them

I learned on a 100cc Kawi so its an old comfortable experience

I had real dirt bikes like KTMs but the inability to dab etc really took away

from going slow in strange stuff like New England dragon teeth rocks

I have a tw and a klx and they are both good at what they do. Neither are speed demons but provide alot of fun. Any dual sport will be decent on the street and decent offroad. Its hard to pick between the bikes you listed. Any one you pick will make you wonder which other one is better.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links