Newbie with questions
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Greetings all -- To preface, I have never owned, or even rode, a motorcycle. I've wanted one for a while to commute, but just haven't pulled the trigger. Well, I finally have some money together and I'm ready to take the plunge. I have settled on the TW200 for several reasons, but mostly because it looks cool, gets 70 mpg, and will cater to me fiddling around on dirt roads. My commute is an easy one; 12 miles through a small town and around some winding hills. The speed limit doesn't get over 45 the whole way.

Now for the purpose of my post. I don't know what to get!

Option one is simply to get a new one. Cost at the local dealership for a 2013 is $3,999. I like the idea of new for obvious reasons, but I hate the idea because I hate to buy a new motorcycle without ever having rode one. Also, I'm not crazy about footing the upfront cost.

Option two is to move on a used one that I have a bead on. It's a 2001 (I think I read that this is the first year with the current front brake and carburetor?) that has 900 or so miles. I like the low mileage of this one but am skeptical for a couple reasons. First, is it possible to mess with the odometer so it undersells the miles? Second, if the mileage is true, this bike hasn't been rode much at all lately. Will components on this bike deteriorate much without use?

Option three is to hold out and see what comes along. I'm not crazy about this option because I want one NOW!

I apologize for the silly questions, but I really don't have a clue what I'm looking for. In a perfect world, I'd find a TW200 from 2005 or so with 1,000-2,000 miles for $2,500. Is this a pipe dream? Asking prices seem to be all over the board.

Any help, insight, or advice would be appreciated. Thanks a ton! Looks like a great forum.

like joe band said, ride one at least once before you buy one!

Better yet, take the MSF ridercourse. It will get you your MC license, teach you the basics of safe riding, and you'll get to ride a motorcycle too! A lot of the MSF classes actually use TWs, so it's a doubly good fit for you!

You will not regret taking the MSF course, and though you don't state your location there's bound to be one nearby.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Thanks for the info, DonBenito. I have heard the 'you need to ride one' comment many times and it is without question good advice. The difficult part is finding someone that will let a complete newbie ride their motorcycle

There is actually an MSF course in my town beginning next Thursday. Maybe it's an omen...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What is the price asked for the 2001? A lot can be told by the owner about what kind of maintanence has been done and how it has been ridden. Garage kept, oil change intervals, does it look like it has been well taken care of? These bikes can take a good beating but there is a line. Buying used is a crapshoot. Sometimes you win other times you don't. If you want a bike that you don't have to worry about, buy new. If you have some time and a little mechanical know-how, buy a decent looking used bike. The tw is a great first bike and can be enjoyed by all ages. If you can ride a bike, you can ride a tw. Whatever choice you make you will be happy so don't overthink it. Just get what you want and farkle the hell out of it like the rest of us!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

MSF will not only teach you safety, but how to actually ride a motorcycle. Once you learn, you'll be better prepared to ride your own. Good call on a TW for your first bike. I just taught my wife to ride on an 87 TW, and it's very beginner friendly. I hate when new riders start on sportbikes that are capable of 150mph. So silly to start that way. The TW has enough power, but it won't overwhelm you.
    Wife and I live near Tulsa, Ok. and we both have TW200's. They sure are fun!

I forgot to put that the asking price on the 2001 is $2,800. I have no idea how firm the seller is on the price though. He did note that it has always been garage kept. I asked specifically about its maintenance schedule and he told me he started it a couple of times a year. Not really an answer, but that's what I got. I also asked specifically whether he had a title and didn't ever get a response.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the MSF course to learn what in the world I'm doing before I buy anything. For as painfully obvious as that option was, I completely overlooked it. The big kicker on the MSF course is that the first one falls on my daughter's birthday and the next one falls on my wife's birthday. What luck, huh? Hopefully I can get into one this summer sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by respond2us View Post
    MSF will not only teach you safety, but how to actually ride a motorcycle. Once you learn, you'll be better prepared to ride your own. Good call on a TW for your first bike. I just taught my wife to ride on an 87 TW, and it's very beginner friendly. I hate when new riders start on sportbikes that are capable of 150mph. So silly to start that way. The TW has enough power, but it won't overwhelm you.
    Definitely do the MSF. You will find out whether or not you really want to ride, you will learn how to ride and proper techniques. It is also a lot cheaper then buying a bike before you know you want to ride. Also when you are done, you have an endorsement. win win win.

As far as parts that degrade or don't hold well up to sitting without being ridden. Tires may be cracked or rotted. The carburetor will most likely need to be cleaned and may need a bowl gasket (mine did, also a 2001).
    -Szj

2001 TW

Personally couldn't justify that price unless the bike was absolutely mint. You are playing 25% less for a machine of lesser known condition that is 12 years old. For a 25% price difference you might consider doing new. You could also wait for another to come your way.
    -Szj

2001 TW

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    Personally, I would not pay that much for a 2001, regardless of the condition. There are many variables to consider before deciding on what price to pay for a used motorcycle of any kind. I purchased a 1995 for very little money ($400 ) , but I also new the seller some. ( my UPS delivery guy ) I did trust him enough to buy it without hearing it run. ( it has been sitting garaged for 3 years ) I know that I have to drain the tank, clean the carb, and probably replace the battery. Where I really crossed the line with a leap of faith is that I have started to buy some used farkles before I have even started it up! I do things backwards sometimes. Dave

I bought a 2007 TW a few months back with 530 miles in Central OR without ever setting foot on a bike before. I'd agree to take the class if its an option, but I knew I'd be able to resell the bike without hesitation for what I paid or more if it didnt work out. I love it!!

These bikes sell FAST. If you're flexible on picking one up, look on craigslist in your area and wait for the right deal. I used Search Tempest to search within a couple hundred miles of me and ended up getting one about 90 miles away since I live in the middle of nowhere. I would usually check 1 or 2 times a day on ST because if you can't jump on it, someone else will.

The 2001 is definitely too expensive. Keep looking or offer him a lot less and see what he says.
    Last edited by jwashkau; 04-18-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    2007 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links