What speed are you *comfortable* with, with stock gearing?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: What speed are you *comfortable* with, with stock gearing?

What speed are you *comfortable* with, with stock gearing?

Hi gang,
    Well, we’re finishing up a 2,500-3,000 mile trip around much of the western U.S. We started five weeks ago in AZ. Then over to NM, up to CO, over to ID and MT. Then headed down to UT and are presently in Williams AZ, almost home in Lake Havasu City. This is/was all done with our motor home, carrying the TW on the back and, towing our Jeep. I rode the TW everyday that I could, even in and around Ouray CO which, much of it hovers around the 7,000’ mark in elevation.
    My riding was split between on and off road. The T-dub ran flawlessly in all altitudes and conditions. I have it setup with stock gearing, 14/50. I was careful in choosing routes for rides because, I’m one of those that does not like to push or, maybe I should say STRAIN that little 200 cc motor. This leads me to the topic/question. Without having a tach, I can only go by instinct/experience/gut feeling, etc. on just what I personally feel is a *comfortable* cruising speed.

Now, not talking “max” speed, just what I feel is about the highest speed that, that little motor can retain without, dare I say, HURTING it. I know, I know, some of you run the dog-snot out of yours and don’t see any problem. I know and realize that, there’s compromise that must be made in gearing so that one keeps as good of off road capability as possible but, still must be able to, at least “safely” keep up with moderate lower speed on road traffic.

If you improve the ability of one side, the other side suffers. So, to you TW wizards out there, with say, stock gearing of 14/50, what are you really, and I mean REALLY, comfortable cruising at, that YOU feel is not detrimental to that little motor and, will provide it with a long and happy life?
    Scott

P.s., in all that description and bs, I forgot to say what I think, is a “comfortable” speed for me. And that is, 35-40 mph. At that speed the motor is what I would say is, “humming “ Along. Little to no vibration and, the mirrors are for the most part, crystal clear. Now, as I ease it up to say, 45, to me, that’s when this little motor is beginning to strain.

Pushing it to 50, that motors working pretty hard, in my opinion. And, again in my opinion, 55 is SCREAMING that motor. So, these are my thoughts.
    Last edited by FIRE UP; 08-25-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

45 - 50 is comfortable without harming anything.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

GOF
    I agree. With the stock gearing 45 to 50. Maybe leaning to the lower end. Had the old girl up to 55 indicated today. Wasn't comfortable with that and was glad it was only for about half a mile. Thinking of trying a 47 tooth rear.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I do have a tach but honestly I don't pay it all that much attention. I felt that the bike was a bit high revving with the stock 14/50 while I was travelling 90 KPH (55 MPH) on secondary roads here, so I switched to a 14/47 and don't worry at all about it.

One time with my stock gearing I had to use a highway bridge over the Saint John River to get from one secondary road to another (the cable ferry I would normally take was down). That highway has a 110 KPH (70 MPH) limit, which means that most people travel it at 120 KPH (75MPH). I will not claim that I ever made it to 110KPH, but the bike gave its all for the 1km or so that I was on the highway. That was not good for the bike, was NOT fun for me (too many transport trucks), and has not been repeated.

In short, 50 MPH is comfortable for me with stock gearing, and 55 MPH with 14/47.
    2014 TW. UBIQUE!

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Have you seen the TW200 Speed Calculator?

55 MPH is 74% of RPM max, and not even close to worrying about in my book. 60 is 81%, 65 is 88%, and redline would be 74 MPH, if you can get there.

I run 13-55 gearing for trail work, but I'll still run her up to 55+ on the highway to get to/from the trails. You'll find stories on this forum of members taking their t-dubs all across this country at WOT for hours and days at a time.

It's your bike, so do what you want, but I say don't let your fear alone limit what you and your bike will do. Use it, and have fun.
    TW-Brian, Fred, Errtu and 5 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyMack View Post
    45 - 50 is comfortable without harming anything.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Yup..in the mountain west.....only a occasional short run of 10 miles or so at 55...only to not impede traffic..

ETD to add, I really only ride roads that have speed limits of 45mph or less ...and ….. that have very lite traffic.... of less than 100 vehicles a day...….don't have to....don't want too...… not prudent...
    Last edited by bartruff; 08-26-2019 at 07:40 AM.

I purchased my bike used and it was setup 14/47 which I maintained when I upgraded my chain to an xring and replaced my sprockets. Glad I did as I find most of my riding the 900 miles I've added since getting the TW in June has been on broken country roads mixed with some gravel. I have more off-road riding coming up soon so we'll see how I feel after that but really happy with 14/47 thus far.

I'll run 60+ on occasion if needed without any worries and don't feel like the engine is strained at all. I find 55 is quite comfortable with the 14/47 gearing.

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    I'm still under the 1st servicing, in terms of mileage, but I do not like to go past 90km/h (55.9mp/h). I like to have a little "wiggle room" in case I need to accel/decel.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

They should remove the tachometer from sportbikes. It really seems people are scared of over-revving them without them.

I'm not saying you should ride faster than YOU are comfortable with, but the bike is comfortable riding at 10k rpm all day.

If you want to go a little faster without raising the Rpm too much or at all, you should change the drive sprockets. I'm my opinion, 15/49 is the best if you're using it 50% or more on the street. [Or 14/47 if you don't want to change the front sprocket- that comes out to a quite similar ratio]. This will allow a few things: A. A little more top speed [emphasis on little, this thing is by no means a powerhouse] and B. More importantly for what you're trying to accomplish- a little bit lower rpm for any given speed and C. It will allow you to take off from a stop light with out having to shift three times before you get to the other side of the intersection.

Unfortunately it will also D. Make it slightly less 'grunty' off-road. [with this setup I personally was still able to go anywhere I wanted with the TW, it really depends on how difficult the terrain is you will be traversing]
    bartruff likes this.

I surely want to thank all of you that have responded. As I pretty much expected, the majority of you don’t feel that 45-50 mph with stock 14/50 gearing, isn’t really presenting any potential harm to that engine, at least for “somewhat” shorter distances. This is pretty much a subjective set of ideals. The T-dub is without a doubt, a pretty well rounded little tractor bike, meant and designed for both off and on road. How each person uses it, for a majority of their riding, dictates how they’d like to gear it. I think I see a 47 in the not too distant future. Thanks again to all.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links