Arizona Cactus and tubes.... - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Arizona Cactus and tubes....

I basically followed Skinwalker's thread with a few minor personal touches. I used a right angle valve stem for ease of inflation and pressure monitoring. Urethane took many winter days to dry suspended in front of wood stove, silicone would have cured much quicker.How to: Tubeless Rim for Duro Powergrip Tire

Of course once installed I had to go out and flog the tubless conversion mercilessly for the last 8 months....sand, desert, rock, snow, mud, high speed pavement without any leakage.
    TerraCrossing the Line

GOF likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

So IMHO going tubeless with RideOn might be better in long run than a heavy duty tube.
    Slime is an affordable option for tubes but messy if you ever get a flat and want to patch it yourself.
    Personally I try to stay as far away from the cholla as possible, fortunately I only see it on the southern end of my riding range down by Mt.Whitney.cactus.jpg
    NVcowboy and TomT like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

GOF
    Fred Thanks for the info and the links.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Indeed, the Cholla. Somehow these bastards find their way to you by magic. Dubbed, the jumping cactus, they come off the plant way too easy and are a pain in the ass, (literally) to get off your body. As for goatheads, be sure to clean off your shoes before going indoors, better yet take your kicks off at the door or they WILL be burying themselves in your bare feet. Foot pain meter- 1. Goathead, 2. Legos, 3. Thumb tack. Got it? Good!
    Fred likes this.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

Quote Originally Posted by AKTW View Post
    +2 for for Ride on. I used to live in Northern AZ (Holbrook 3-4 hours from tempe) so I am not a desert rider but a mountain/high plain biker. There are a ton of great places to ride in Navajo/Apache county. Every rider should do the Coronado trail (Springerville AZ to Clifton AZ) 120 miles with over 450 turns beautiful ride through the forest with 2 miles of dirt as you drive through a mine. I think that high way has top speed of 60 but it is so dead you could go 50. Heck in a pinch the ride starts at 8,000 and ends at 3,500. I would also recommend you check the petrified forest, Holbrook, sun valley, there is a seemingly endless path of dirt roads.
    I have driven the famed Coronado trail more than a 100 times, most of them with a horse trailer. I have yet to do it on a bike but the TW would NOT be my first choice! Too many steep grades and it's all pavement!

I haven't had a flat yet and I have been in some gnarly places (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!)

Not a whole lot of miles. But maybe 750 miles so far in cactus country. Ride on in stock tw tires. no flats yet (fingers crossed).
    On the bicycle, I did a survey of bike shops in Phoenix. About 50-50 tubeless vs tube. I swear by tubeless with Stans no leak in tubes. Have picked up many goat heads with only one flat. Picked out or broke off 50 some goat heads. refilled with Stans, aired up and been good for 7 months now
    ejfranz likes this.

I ended up going tubeless on the TW. Cleaned the rims up good and ran a scotch-brite around the inner surface. Sealed the spokes with 3M 5200 Marine adhesive sealant, that seemed to be the favorite among a few write ups I came across (this is apparently a somewhat popular mod among the Honda VTX cruiser crowd, since tubes on long haul heavy cruisers isn't a great combo). A 3oz tube was enough to do both wheels with only a little bit leftover (just dabbing it around the nipples, not filling the whole drop center) and it ran about $10 at a local marine store. Gave it the 24 hours to cure per the directions (that was the "rapid cure" variant, the normal said to allow 3 days for handling and a full 7 to cure). Normal silicone sealant may work perfectly fine as well, and it's considerably cheaper.

Put the tires back on and aired up. The front 241 was a bit difficult to get to seat, the beads curl in so you have to really blast air in there and get it centered for them to grab the rim and start taking air, wasn't a huge deal though. The beads slipped onto the rim without much effort. The rear did not have this issue and inflated readily, with a tubeless-like "snap" as each bead seated. Did a leak check with soapy water, before adding any sealant. On the front, one spoke had a slight bubbling around the nipple. On the rear, two did. No leaks at the beads on either one. I was planning on adding slime anyway, so did that (did 8oz in the front tire, and 12 in the rear). The directions say 8oz for a motorcycle tire but 24 for a ATV, so I gave the rear tire an extra couple pumps. Took it for a brief ride, bubbling had stopped on all 3 marked spokes, and it's been holding pressure just fine for several days now.

I did notice the handling is quicker, particularly at higher speeds from the loss of the weight of the tubes. I won't say it's noticeably faster, although it does seem to maintain speed on the highway a bit easier than before, and the rear spins up off road a little more readily as well.

So, a "must do"? No. I had no real complaints with tubes+slime, couple times I got punctures I was always able to make it back. I was more curious as to how this would work than anything else. If I were do do it again, I'd probably try for more of a "layer" of sealant, rather than just dabs to hopefully not need a sealant to take care of a couple small leaks- although I would have added one anyway for puncture insurance.
    Fred likes this.

I've used Slime,Ride-On and a few others. I have found they only slow down but do not seal an inner tube leak. Seems the tubes flex to much for them to work well and the bottles have that written on them as such. Still run Ride-On in all my motorcycle and riding lawn mowers if anything to give me enough time to pull off the road.
    ejfranz likes this.

I use ride-on in all my motorcycle tires ( Wee, DT200, WR250r and TW200).Yes, it is expensive, but it does a great job of balancing the tires. The WR and DT front wheels have nice dents in them and before adding Ride-on to the tubes they had quite a bit of shake. Now, I don’t even notice it even at 75 mph on the WR.
    I have been riding down in Arizona for the last 2 winters and no flats so far. I did dent the front rim of the DT - too low of tire pressure and going too fast.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

For what it's worth, I rode in the desert around Phoenix quite a bit, and never got a flat from a cactus- including the time I crashed into one. I suppose its always better to be safe than sorry, but I bet you'll also be fine as long as you don't make a habit of running them over.

scaled.jpeg

There's a lot of good riding around there, but my favorite trail is the "back road" to Crown King. It goes north from Lake Pleasant to a little town of Crown King. The ride is quite fun without being super difficult and the Crown King Saloon is awesome. Good beer and food [especially when they have the Chili cookoff...]. It's about a 60 mile round trip and a pretty good way to spend a Saturday morning, I think. The trail is a little hard to find the first time though, the only marker is a big rock with a mostly faded "CK->" painted on it.

https://azoffroading.com/arizona-tra...to-crown-king/

This site says 4-5 hours, but that's "Jeep Time". It's realistically about half that on a bike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links