Arizona Cactus and tubes....
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Arizona Cactus and tubes....

Arizona Cactus and tubes....

Hey all - going to be moving to Tempe AZ this OCT/NOV and was wondering about the goat heads and other prickly things down in the desert- is the slime the way to go on tires and really, does it work? other options? I really do not like changing tubes- especially on the dub~! Also looking for new friends to ride with on the trails, fire roads and anything not too crazy~!
    Thanx iin advance
    Timboat
    Allanb likes this.

RideOn Tire Sealant, better than slime in my opinion. Features minimal clean up after a flat ( that is if you ever notice) plus adds balancing benefits.
    reddave, Allanb and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

+1 for the Ride-On sealant. But if you find a nail in your tire while out on the trail, leave it in till you get home!
    Allanb and ejfranz like this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

+2 for for Ride on. I used to live in Northern AZ (Holbrook 3-4 hours from tempe) so I am not a desert rider but a mountain/high plain biker. There are a ton of great places to ride in Navajo/Apache county. Every rider should do the Coronado trail (Springerville AZ to Clifton AZ) 120 miles with over 450 turns beautiful ride through the forest with 2 miles of dirt as you drive through a mine. I think that high way has top speed of 60 but it is so dead you could go 50. Heck in a pinch the ride starts at 8,000 and ends at 3,500. I would also recommend you check the petrified forest, Holbrook, sun valley, there is a seemingly endless path of dirt roads.
    Fred and ejfranz like this.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Thanks guys- just the info I was looking for~! SO looking forward to heading down there- not until the temps break though ;-)

Are you guys running a tubeless set up? the clips and info on youtube show tubeless set ups on the usage.... Thanks again in advance~! I feel this will help tons~!

Most of us are tubed - but the product works for both ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

RideOn comes in two flavors....relatively inexpensive lumpy stuff for ATVs and the superior motorcycle grade RideOn.
    Has worked well for nail puncture in a tube equipped ATV tire on my TW. However when that tire was replaced I sealed up the rim and went tubeless with fresh motorcycle grade RideOn. Rim sealing was not difficult.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I keep considering going tubeless and sealing up the rims. Put a Tubliss system on my enduro, and never once looked back. But, they only come in 18,19, and 21" sizes. Not super wide 14". I guess you could use a "rear" 18" tubliss on the front of the TW, but they throw the wheel balance way off (they're technically for off-road only). On my Beta I put a bunch of spoke weights opposite the valve block on the Tubliss system which helped a lot. The TW I'm sure wouldn't mind eliminating a few pounds of rotating/unsprung mass either by tossing the tubes. I noticed a considerable difference just swapping the UHD tubes the previous owner put in with standard ones (almost 5lbs difference). Better stability at speed, suspension was less bouncy, and acceleration seemed a bit brisker.

My hangup against sealing the rims was I wasn't sure how well silicone would hold up over time, but it seems a few people here have been running it for at least a couple years and I haven't heard of failures or slow leaks.

I just have regular Slime in my TW and it's always got me home. I hear good things about the Ride-On, but I go to Cycle gear and it's like $14 for a teeny little bottle that's enough for maybe one small tire. I was going to use it on my Valkyrie, and going by their not-exactly-simple dosage calculation I would have needed almost 4 bottles of the stuff for a 180 width rear and a 150 width front. $60+? No thanks. Bought a Stop-n-Go kit for the same price instead.

A gallon of Slime is like $20 at wally world and is enough for a dozen or so tires.

GOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    RideOn comes in two flavors....relatively inexpensive lumpy stuff for ATVs and the superior motorcycle grade RideOn.
    Has worked well for nail puncture in a tube equipped ATV tire on my TW. However when that tire was replaced I sealed up the rim and went tubeless with fresh motorcycle grade RideOn. Rim sealing was not difficult.
    I'd be interested in how you went about this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links