• 1 Post By GOF
  • 2 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By Chip
  • 1 Post By GOF
  • 1 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By AKTW

Thread: Walking home

Walking home

Yesterday I was out riding, did over 100 miles under a clear blue sky, very rare in southeast Alaska. With only 500 yards till home my chain seal came off and threw the chain off the front sprocket. Without any tools I was able to put the chain back on and baby her home. This got me thinking about how in my 25k miles of motorcycle riding between a KLR650 and TW200 I have never, not once, not made it home. *knock on wood* What are your experiences? Has a broken down TW ever left you walking home? What tools do you wish you had, or was it something that no one could have predicted or fixed (seized motor).

Any long hauls I carry:
    small metric tool kit
    stop-and-go air pump
    tire patch kit
    Motion pro tire spoons w/ metric wrench ends
    jtomelliott49, Darth and Peterb like this.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

GOF
    No bike has ever left me stranded away from home. Thank god I've always caught any issues at home in the driveway.
    Darth likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

What is a "chain seal"?

I have always "made it home"...but sometimes limping or bleeding or with a damaged helmet.
    Once from a police station...
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

ďItís more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slowĒ.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.Ē - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pretty sure itís the rubber protecting the swingarm that the chain slides on.

Donít ride too long like that. Itíll start sawing through the swingarm. The swingarm has to come off to replace it. Unless you want to modify the part. Not too bad, just awkward and time consuming.

Someone posted cheap knockoffs I think on Amazon or eBay. Search the threads. Good luck. Glad you got home and it didnít lock up the rear.

Iím a city guy, so the one time I got stumped by an electrical problem I took a $6 Uber home and brought my truck back to get it.
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 08-31-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

I always call someone when I break down. That way I don't have to walk.

Blown engine. Wife recovery mobile

Unknown electrical problem. Later determined to be the pickup coil co-located with the stator. Pops-in-law recovery vehicle
    GOF and Darth like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Battery died out of the blue. Stopped to take a break and walk around WAY back in the woods on a single track. NO fricken kick start so I was done. Pushed that POS nearly 3 miles till I found a hill big enough and with solid enough ground to bump start her. Back in the day when cell phone wasn't even around.

This was on a XR650L not a TW. Bump starting a 650 single in nearly impossible but it can be done., by yourself. Had no choice.
    Darth likes this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Have seized a cylinder once and holed a case in a river crossing once on enduro bikes, both resulted in about 10 mile hikes. Left one of these bikes overnight upright standing in mud in a not-quite-dry lakebed outside Tonopah NV once, but returned at dawn when mud was semi-frozen and rode out.
    The TW has treated me better though allowing me to limp home with flat rear tire twice. Another time Betty Boop was so mired in mud I had to walk away to find cell service & call for help. Help brought me excavation tools
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. ďMr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Iíld Rather Be Motorcycling

GOF
    I did break a throttle cable on an old Honda CB500. Swapped the return cable over. Rode home having to twist the throttle the wrong way. It was confusing.
    Fred likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

I also want to know what a "chain seal" is too? Master Link? Never heard the term before with close to 50 years of motorcycles.
    AKTW... what is it? My Dad always said if you get to learn at least one new thing a day you're doing okay.
    Darth likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

"chain seal" is what Yamaha calls the part. It is a rubbery plasticy thing that is about 3 inches behind the front sprocket. Typically it is white or yellowish. This covers the swing arm from the chain rubbing on it.

Everyone says you have to remove the swing arm to replace it, I had the same part go out on the KLR650 and I was able to replace it by bending/wrappng it around and fishing it through. Has anyone been able to do that?
    Darth likes this.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Sponosred Links